GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

veigy

Hi,

today I was working on VCDS label file for this unit. I found some features and make some description, but there are a lot of unknown functions in coding or adaptation. Take a look at it if u want and give me a feedback. Tested on 187B unit with SW 5404 and Skoda theme.

Installation: Just extract zip to VCDS/labels folder. Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnVMICPPktJ1xMRsjTOmp08VRzu4Qw

EDIT: Added link directly to OneDrive to follow the updates.

EDIT2: Have anyone problem with maximum start-up volume? Minimal setting is 5 but it is slightly louder than I expect.

Have fun!

Attachments

• 6RD-035-187.zip
    2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

iceorbital1

EDIT2: Have anyone problem with maximum start-up volume? Minimal setting is 5 but it is slightly louder than I expect.

I found the startup volume too loud, and the variable volume on speed not quite working. Did you find a way to code those things using vcds? I'm on desay 187b

bobbybasic

I finally got round to soldering in a rear USB output, so much neater.

I have routed a cable all the way to the armrest and have ordered a slide-in dock for it. I wanted a dock that fits in the MDI box neatly, wasn't ugly, fits a lightning cable, could be adjusted for cases and different sized phones, and could be used one handed; I'm a fussy f*cker.

I also plan (and this is probably overkill) to have a USB port in the console in front of the gear lever, and then a console switch to swap between the 2 - so as not to overload the unit. The reason for this it to have the option of having a cable connection up front as well as a hidden dock in the armrest.

I'm currently researching this last part as it's a little out my comfort zone. Saying that, soldering the USB onto the circuit board was very tricky, the pins are so small and close together, I thought it was never going to work. All good though team, it worked, don't worry.

And to finish off I bought some cheeky anti-duct covers for the ports on the head unit - USB, SD and Audio ports. Neat. I tried some matte vinyl to cover the USB but wasn't satisfied with the result.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts dedicating so much time to a flipping car stereo.

If anyone's interested, I'll post up some pics once I've finished.

spicypiel

Ready to race!

I have routed a cable all the way to the armrest and have ordered a slide-in dock for it. I wanted a dock that fits in the MDI box neatly, wasn't ugly, fits a lightning cable, could be adjusted for cases and different sized phones, and could be used one handed; I'm a fussy f*cker.

I also plan (and this is probably overkill) to have a USB port in the console in front of the gear lever, and then a console switch to swap between the 2 - so as not to overload the unit. The reason for this it to have the option of having a cable connection up front as well as a hidden dock in the armrest.

I'm currently researching this last part as it's a little out my comfort zone. Saying that, soldering the USB onto the circuit board was very tricky, the pins are so small and close together, I thought it was never going to work. All good though team, it worked, don't worry.

And to finish off I bought some cheeky anti-duct covers for the ports on the head unit - USB, SD and Audio ports. Neat. I tried some matte vinyl to cover the USB but wasn't satisfied with the result.

In terms of overloading are we worried about power draw? (which seems to be 1amp) or the fact two data devices are connected at once? You're making me want to get out my usb hub and see what happens with a usb stick and a phone at the same time... I suspect it'll be fine and the usb stick will draw like 200mA and the phone will get 800mA.

If this is the case you could potentially splice in a dedicated 12v car usb charger and take the power from that for the second port, so the power is exclusively on the other port.

It's also how I was tempted to add a qualcomm quickcharge 3 fast charging port while retaining the data connection...

Just a thought if you wanted multiple USB. Again it does make me wonder what happens with two devices, in theory linux under it won't care - it'll depend how the head unit is programmed to respond to USB devices I guess.

veigy

I measured voltage and current of the USB port on the front and it was about 5.2V and 1.5A what is quite nice.

Today I have did some further VCDS label file studying. Did some further editing. Changes are online on OneDrive link I posted previosly. I added start-up volume to Adaptation, but on 187B doesn't working. Someone can try it on 187A.

I have not done any progress in term of start-up volume. Gala is ON, the HU is able to access to speed of car, but it seems not working. But I have never got GALA working on any car I owned.

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_144406.jpg
    IMG_20180122_144406.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

spicypiel

Ready to race!
GALA worked on my factory fitted RCD500 in the mk5. Was hoping it'd work in the RCD330 plus too!

Mind you it forgets static volumes let alone the skill to adjust based on a variable :laugh:

Do we know if the 3.5mm jack on the front also carries microphone in? The back of the panel indicates 4 pins so I'm assuming it can take ground, left, right, and mic.

spopinski

Passed Driver's Ed

Yes, for the whole process if you don't mind.

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Phone just didn't work, most devices are equipped to deal with 500mA (the max a usb port should offer prior to negotiating more power).

Realistically though it's best not to find out! Use the multimeter.

Atsiki

Passed Driver's Ed
Last edited: