GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Let me ask you guys this. Where would one buy an RCD330 today? I'm thinking of adding one to my GTI. I know the sound quality isn't the best, but being hard of hearing I really don't think that would make a difference. I really want it for the carplay.
I would look at the classifieds on here or vwvortex occasionally they show up. I'm not sure if there any legitimate oem units left of eBay based on what hid3 said.

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
UNFORTUNATELY the unit stopped working after less than 10 days being installed in car
One morning I came and it was simply dead with no signs of life.

PLEASE AVOID LEXUCAR seller on Aliexpress, they sell junk!

The items I mentioned above may be good indicators you've received a fake, not OEM part!
In addition to that, Aliexpress DOES NOT allow me to leave negative feedback!
Wow I'm sorry you had such bad experiences. Thanks for posting them for others to see.

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me ask you guys this. Where would one buy an RCD330 today? I'm thinking of adding one to my GTI. I know the sound quality isn't the best, but being hard of hearing I really don't think that would make a difference. I really want it for the carplay.
For what it's worth, while sound quality is 'okay,' Carplay does sound significantly better than playing over Bluetooth using the standard interface.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to bump this rather robust thread to ask for people's opinions on their RCD330's after having lived with them.

I have been very active in high end car stereo builds for about 15 years. I always use aftermarket stereos because OEM stereos almost never have a clean, fullrange signal to tap into. I've been through several aftermarket stereos in my GTI, and I am now considering a RCD330. I already run a DSP, so all I need (with regard to sound quality) is a clean, fullrange output, the DSP will do the rest.

Having said that, I know that most of you with this head unit probably haven't dug too deep into the details, but if anyone can vouch for the signal quality from this head unit, that could prove helpful. Beyond that, how has your performed with regard to bugs, and glitches? Does the wireless Carplay work smoothly at least most of the time? Is the screen reasonably responsive, with decent daytime visibility? Any noteworthy observations that a potential buyer may want to consider?

I've already had 4-5 head units in this car, and I've liked and disliked each for various reasons. I'm hoping to only install one more, and be done, but I'm not convinced that the RCD330 is the one. Kenwood has some really nice stuff with volume knobs, and large screens, but they are expensive, and Kenwoods have always bugged me with how cluttered they are. My currect Sony head unit is wonderfully simple, with no clutter, but it also lacks some things that I want from the last head unit I put in the car.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Let me know which version is the best buy, and if anyone here knows anything about high end mobile audio I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

hid3

The sound "cleanliness" and quality is not one of the best for sure. If you have soldering skills (which I assume you do), you can replace certain capacitors to bigger ones and specifically designed for audio components. This will improve sound quality. Seek for information on russian forums on this, folks have done that (yet most of them have done that ugly, as they are amateurs).

Also, you will need to adjust some of the Bass/Treble/etc settings to fine tune for your final preference/result.

Hope this helps

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Does the one you've listed do apple-carplay? If so that is crazy cheap, so cheap it sort makes me think it's fishy.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Wait, so what's the deal with the MIB2pq? Google isn't turning up much good info.
They sound better than the RCD330? Do they integrate with the steering wheel and everything just the same?

And they're only $92.80 on aliexpress!? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000429710148.html

Why even get an rcd330 if all of the above is true?

Those models are quite inferior if i remember correctly, they dont have carplay, have a tiny screen and many other limited capabilities compared to RCD 330.
Theres a list of OEM stereos somewhere online but i cant find it atm, it basically boils down to rcd330/340 is the best OEM option.

And certain models of the rcd330 are better than others and so youo may see a price difference when shopping for them
Overall I liked mine but it just started to show its age, compared to other third party options out there.

If youre looking to find out more about the rcd330 you should go visit the forums dedicated to the unit.
https://www.rcd330.com/

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Not false info, I had rcd330, rns315 rns510 and the mib2 from the newer Jetta but still on pq35 platform, rcd330 sounded terrible, 315,510,mib2 sound identical ie stock, 330g is worse than stock

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to bump this rather robust thread to ask for people's opinions on their RCD330's after having lived with them.

I have been very active in high end car stereo builds for about 15 years. I always use aftermarket stereos because OEM stereos almost never have a clean, fullrange signal to tap into. I've been through several aftermarket stereos in my GTI, and I am now considering a RCD330. I already run a DSP, so all I need (with regard to sound quality) is a clean, fullrange output, the DSP will do the rest.

Having said that, I know that most of you with this head unit probably haven't dug too deep into the details, but if anyone can vouch for the signal quality from this head unit, that could prove helpful. Beyond that, how has your performed with regard to bugs, and glitches? Does the wireless Carplay work smoothly at least most of the time? Is the screen reasonably responsive, with decent daytime visibility? Any noteworthy observations that a potential buyer may want to consider?
I don't consider myself an audiophile by any definition, but I can hear, and appreciate, quality sound. The RCD330 is okay. To my ears, it's about the same as the stock radio. And personally, I like to hear the world around me (and my exhaust ;) ) when I'm driving, so I don't ever blast my music, and I don't really chase quality in car audio.

In my mind, it's a touchscreen unit trading sound quality for massive utility with CarPlay. It's a fair trade to me, considering the low price.