GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No electricity

Khalvash

Hello everyone. I tried to start my car about 15 minutes ago (Golf Mk6 GTI) but there is no electricity going through the system. Earlier this morning I turned the ignition on to check the fuel level, as I had to go somewhere and there was no problem but now car's electricity is just dead. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but it doesn't work anyway. Any ideas what it can be?

Khalvash

How old is the battery?
I'm not sure. I bought the car few months ago and it came with it. Also I had an electrical cut-off a few days ago when I parked the car in front of the supermarket and when I got out I couldn't lock it remotely so I took out the key and locked it with it. When I came back it worked again like nothing happened

AM407

Autocross Champion
I had an issue like that once. It was a bad battery.

Not bad, as in dead, but bad as in broken. There was a loose connection somewhere internally, so it would just intermittently die. Couldn’t even jump start it, but then I’d get it towed to the dealer and it would start fine.

You could also try giving the cables and battery terminals a really thorough cleaning with a wire brush. Could possibly be excessive corrosion causing your issues.

Khalvash

I had an issue like that once. It was a bad battery.

Not bad, as in dead, but bad as in broken. There was a loose connection somewhere internally, so it would just intermittently die. Couldn’t even jump start it, but then I’d get it towed to the dealer and it would start fine.

You could also try giving the cables and battery terminals a really thorough cleaning with a wire brush. Could possibly be excessive corrosion causing your issues.
I cleaned both cables and connections. They are pretty shiny. I'll try again with new battery as it seems an only option

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The battery should have a sticker with a date code on it. Sounds like a battery issue to me. You can get it tested if it is still relatively new (less then 3 years).

Khalvash

The battery should have a sticker with a date code on it. Sounds like a battery issue to me. You can get it tested if it is still relatively new (less then 3 years).
I will check that first thing in the morning. But previous case when I had electricity cutoff while parked at the supermarket makes me think that battery is not an issue and there is some connectivity problem. Still I'll keep buying a new battery in mind.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I will check that first thing in the morning. But previous case when I had electricity cutoff while parked at the supermarket makes me think that battery is not an issue and there is some connectivity problem. Still I'll keep buying a new battery in mind.

That certainly could be the issue since it is intermittent. I would verify all connections are tight and corrosion free first. It does not take much to make the car not start. If everything looks good then move to the battery and either get it tested or replace it depending on how old it is. Heat can mess with a bad battery also. It could work when the engine is cold but once you drive somewhere and the engine and battery heat up it could give you issues.

Khalvash

That certainly could be the issue since it is intermittent. I would verify all connections are tight and corrosion free first. It does not take much to make the car not start. If everything looks good then move to the battery and either get it tested or replace it depending on how old it is. Heat can mess with a bad battery also. It could work when the engine is cold but once you drive somewhere and the engine and battery heat up it could give you issues.
I will check the battery age as it is easiest for me. I will also use a battery from my father's car to make sure if it is the problem or not. If it still doesn't work I'll cross my fingers that the car's ECU is alive and tow it to a dealership?