GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Novice requiring Suspension advice

Dno78

Hi all.

New to the forum, although I have read a few threads over the last few years, but still need a little advice if you can.

I own a (UK) Mk6 Golf R (65000+) that has been relatively issue free over the few years I've owned it however, it's just failed its MOT on a broken drivers side rear spring, and in the video VW send the technician has pointed out that my rear shockers are leaking slightly. I'm assuming the "floaty" feeling I got when I gave it a boot to VW is because of the broken spring and leaking shockers.

Fortunately I have MOT cover so VW are meeting the cost of the repair to the spring (£200+), but I said to myself when I bought the car that until things start failing I'm happy running the car in its stock form.

So with that said, I'm now looking to replace/upgrade all four sides but its given me a bit of a headache trying to figure out the best option/route for me to take. The first option is probably the easiest and I assume cheapest which is to replace all four sides with new stock parts, and the second option is to go Bilstein, but this is where the headache comes in.

Do I go with springs of the same name or pair them up with Eibach springs?, and then I've read that whilst changing those parts I may as well replace other parts such as endlinks, mounts etc which is obviously logical.

I don't wish to lower the car at all, and nor do I want coilovers, but preferably I want the best upgrade that my budget allows for which retains the stock look and performance as much as possible.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

OlderSlower

I love my Koni sport shocks and struts, they were the best option for the money here in the US. They do lower the car slightly, but handling and ride is excellent. A bit firmer, but the car just feels stable and planted.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I don't wish to lower the car at all, and nor do I want coilovers, but preferably I want the best upgrade that my budget allows for which retains the stock look and performance as much as possible.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

If your goal is to "retain the stock look and performance...." you have answered your own question - stay stock and continue to enjoy what you have been enjoying.

Most anything else you put on the car will be a deviation from stock. Stock suspension on the R is quite nice, if it suits you, then stay with it.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
For the first 50k or so miles I really liked my GTI's stock dampers. I can only imagine that the Golf R's are just as good or better. If you're going to stick with the stock springs I don't believe you can do much better.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
What's others have said ^^

I regretted lowering my car.

Plus once you lower the car, you can be frustrated .... Especially if someone messes up the alignment .... It can ride rougher than expected .... It will have less clearance over speed bumps and into angle driveway's etc ....

Anyway .... The biggest thing I regretted when I lowered mine, was the ride is terrible.

I never really regretted putting swaybars on though ....

I'd put new OEM rear shocks on and maybe a H&R 26mm rear sway on soft. Adjustable rear endlinks from 034 as well.

It will perfect the handling.

Also tires are a better investment than lowering.

Perhaps some 235/40/18 Michelin pilot sport AS3+ Y .... Would make it awesome.

Sent from my stomach using remote control

Dno78

Thanks for the replies! I don't want the car lowered at all, for the negatives mentioned that it brings for a daily driver so I'll go the new stock route. I'll just get the rears done for now as the fronts are fine and will have look at ARBs.

Giblet46

Have a look at bilstein b4 shocks, they are their 'oem' spec, but some say around 10% stiffer. Either way, after having leaking shocks, and older ones at that, it will feel stiffer once you have new ones on.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Dno78

Have a look at bilstein b4 shocks, they are their 'oem' spec, but some say around 10% stiffer. Either way, after having leaking shocks, and older ones at that, it will feel stiffer once you have new ones on.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've decided to stick with stock. Booked in at German Auto Care on Saturday for the rear shockers, and back passenger side spring doing. This MOT failure ordeal (lol), and reading forums like this has changed my mind on a few things regarding the mods I'd like to make.

bebersol

Ready to race!
The stock golf R dampers are sachs twin tube.

twin tube shocks, as a rule, give a less harsh ride than monotubes, but are more susceptible to foaming and heat than monotubes. Racers generally prefer monotubes.

Sachs part numbers
rear number: 311 009
front number: 312 267

also, if your replacing the rear shocks, you should also replace the front.

remember shocks are a normal wear and tear item like brake pads and the cam follower.

Last edited:

bebersol

Ready to race!
I love my Koni sport shocks and struts, they were the best option for the money here in the US. They do lower the car slightly, but handling and ride is excellent. A bit firmer, but the car just feels stable and planted.

twin tubes generally provide a nicer ride but become more susceptible to foaming and over heating (if your racing). Monotubes are by nature a little bit of a harsher ride

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Ran Mk6 R shocks front and rear on my A3 and the ride comfort was non-existent.

Switched back to my A3 stock shocks and dampers ....

Sent from my stomach using remote control

Dno78

also, if your replacing the rear shocks, you should also replace the front.
I was going to do that but given how they looked on the video VW sends you I thought I'd save some money at the time, but will probably get them done at some point this year so there will only be a few thousand miles between them.