GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM DSG Cooler Upgrade

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Okay, so, I purchased the revision "D" of this cooler. This is the exact same one that's fitted to the new Golf 7R. The part that's puzzling me is that the revision "D" cooler doesn't look outright bigger than the one fitted to the car already (rev. B). It's not as big as the revision C cooler (pictured previously).

But there are 3 things counting in favour of the Revision D cooler:

1. The one person who I know has fitted this revision D cooler swears that his temps hold out a lot better.
2. My friend, who is a top VW mechanic, has swapped a number of these coolers to the D version and says that the core of the rev. D cooler is updated and works much better than the revision B cooler. I don't have a band-saw and tons of money to go and myth-bust that theory, but hey, it comes from a reputable source.
3. This cooler comes standard on the Golf 7R which has 100nm more torque than the Golf 6 GTi. VW could have easily re-used the revision B cooler, but instead brought out a brand new revision for it, so it has to be more effective than the B revision.

I'll try and pull some logs this weekend and fit it. I'll report back then :)

p.s I managed to get the cooler and seals for $160, which is not bad at all.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Nice... I am excited to see the results.

Okay, so, I purchased the revision "D" of this cooler. This is the exact same one that's fitted to the new Golf 7R. The part that's puzzling me is that the revision "D" cooler doesn't look outright bigger than the one fitted to the car already (rev. B). It's not as big as the revision C cooler (pictured previously).

But there are 3 things counting in favour of the Revision D cooler:

1. The one person who I know has fitted this revision D cooler swears that his temps hold out a lot better.
2. My friend, who is a top VW mechanic, has swapped a number of these coolers to the D version and says that the core of the rev. D cooler is updated and works much better than the revision B cooler. I don't have a band-saw and tons of money to go and myth-bust that theory, but hey, it comes from a reputable source.
3. This cooler comes standard on the Golf 7R which has 100nm more torque than the Golf 6 GTi. VW could have easily re-used the revision B cooler, but instead brought out a brand new revision for it, so it has to be more effective than the B revision.

I'll try and pull some logs this weekend and fit it. I'll report back then :)

p.s I managed to get the cooler and seals for $160, which is not bad at all.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Just a thought on this:

One of the shortcomings I've seen on the DSG cooler is that it's basically a passive heat sink. Heat sinks need moving air to pass over them in order to be efficient. Not just that, but the air moving over it has to be noticeably cooler as well. The location of the DSG cooler in our engine bays get little-to-no airflow and the flow that it does get, is pretty darn hot. So coming from the old-school I.T. world, what would you usually do to something that gets hot? Install a heat-sink and fan!

What do you guys think about getting some thermal adhesive (Arctic silver sells an amazeballs product) and slap a heat sink on top of the DSG cooler? Then, to help things out, figure out a way to duct some air from the front bumper onto the DSG cooler? That way you physically enlarge the surface area of the DSG cooler with proper thermal compound which actively "pulls" the heat from the cooler unit AND you're introducing much-needed cold airflow to the DSG cooler itself?

I know it sounds silly, but if you think about it - the solution is amazingly simple and cheap and you're adding cooling capacity to a component that desperately needs it. And there's nothing wrong with attaching a good quality heat sink to the top of the DSG cooler. If you use a proper thermal adhesive you can't hurt it at all!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
I remember seeing several Corvettes with the coolers installed where the factory mufflers were located. If you don't mind the risk of running long lines under the car, that could be feasible for those who have deleted their muffler.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
or just build this......

An external cooler like this in cold climates will slow the rate the fluid warms up.

Another option is upgrade to a lower temp thermostat in conjunction with the rev "D" cooler. (im not even sure if a low temp thermostat even exists)

or just build this.....
Notice the date on those photos.... 2007

That set up does not work for multiple reasons which has been debated here before.
As for the OEM oil cooler , has been tried before and still does not take the beating on a track. U20-T can take it from here.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion

That set up does not work for multiple reasons which has been debated here before.
As for the OEM oil cooler , has been tried before and still does not take the beating on a track. U20-T can take it from here.

this cooler was on an r32.

Just like the evo X sst and GTR's. An external cooler can be built but is it actually worth it to build one.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion

Another car with an oil cooler and dsg cooler.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Just a note here boys, I'm not talking about upgrading the cooler for track use. This is for daily driving only.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Just a note here boys, I'm not talking about upgrading the cooler for track use. This is for daily driving only.

Even aggressive daily driving if people are seeing slip due to temps then an external cooler will be the best possible route to go.

if there is enough interest I could design and build the plate needed to build an external cooler. I have full access to engineers and have a full machine shop at my disposal due to my line of work.

I could go two routes with this. Offer just the plate and let people source their own parts or offer a full kit with all the needed parts.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
There's a company here locally that sells an external DSG cooler for about $400. If things don't work out with this Rev D cooler, I'll probably look into that because like the setup you've shown above, that is the right way to go if you REALLY want to cool things down.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
there is a thread on the mkv forums about them. One member upgraded to the largest revision and he saw 10c drop in dsg temps.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Ugh. I really need to start listening to myself and not other people.

The D revision is pointless. It's the exact same size as the B revision. I've proven that now. There are a couple of people here locally who thought that they upgraded their cooler, when in fact they swapped like-for-like. Oops.

The version you want is the C revision. I've updated the original post of this thread.