GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Offical Making Big Power/Big Turbo Thread

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
There is a ton of information out there for Stage 1, Stage 2 and KO4 but the Big Power/Big Turbo information is somewhat muted. I am hoping this thread can help not only the people interested taking the plunge into the big turbo world but also as a safe haven for ideas and building up the TSI big power community.

If anyone what me to add new products or information to the first few posts of the is thread I am happy to do so just shoot me a PM. The intention of this thread is not to bash/slash others or peoples work. The first few posts are to be informational only, we can discuss better of what works ad what does not in the discussion posts.

Basic Principle
the more air and fuel you can cram into the motor the more power you will get out of it. The bigger the turbo the more power it can make at the same boost level because it can flow more air and it produces less heat at the same time. The trade off is that the is added lag time.

MOD LIST as a guideline only-

On to what it takes to make big power for the 2.0T TSI VW/Audi flavors, all power figures are on 93 octane unless noted. It is strongly recommended to run at least upgraded forged rods on race fuel programs or 400hp. GolFMK6, Users and Vendors and I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone's project due to the information in this thread this is for informational purposes and can be used as a guideline.

Based on 93oct pump fuel -

340-380whp range –
1. Big Turbo kit (GT28-GT30 series or equivalent)
2. Big Turbo Software or Tuning
3. Upgraded intercooler
4. 3 inch Turboback
5. Intake
6. Clutch (if Manual)
7. DSG Software Recommended

400-425whp range –

1. All the above (GT30 series or equivalent)
2. Upgraded internals mainly forged rods
3. Larger Injectors
4. Possible Low Pressure Fuel Upgrade
5. Water/Meth (not needed)

430whp+ –
1. All the above (GT3076 or GTX3071 series or equivalent)
2. Upgraded Low Pressure Fuel System
3. Upgraded High Pressure Fuel System?

Going Further, Start throwing a large amount of money at it –
1. All the Above
2. Built Head for more RPM/Flow
3. Forged Pistons
4. Built Transmission (DSG clutches over 500hp) and possible stronger gears (manual)
5. Axles
6. Anything else that breaks

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Available Big Turbo Options:

ATP Turbo Stock Location
Offers a wide range of build parts as well as a stock location gt28-gt30 (350-500hp) series big turbo hardware option. Not a complete kit as is but they do sell everything you will need to complete the kit. Will need tuning.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-VVW-257&Category_Code=FSI

APR Stage 3 and 3+
APR offer a complete kit including tuning for their STG3 and 3+ kits. Intake piping, oil lines, coolant lines discharge piping and first section of the downpipe are included.

Stg 3 is a GT28RS turbo with a T25 flanged cast manifold with an internal waste. The system is capable of producing about 350-360whp under normal conditions.

http://www.goapr.com/products/stage3_20_tsi_trans.html

Stg 3+ is a GT3071-WG turbo with a T25 flanged cast manifold with an internal waste. The system is capable of producing about 370-410whp under normal conditions on 93.

http://www.goapr.com/products/stage3plus_20_tsi_trans.html

CTS Turbo

CTS turbo kit features a t3 cast manifold with external wastegate. A variety of Garrett turbos are available with it.

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_TURBO_MK6_2_0_TSI_TURBO_KIT-3347-511.html

RAI Motorsport
RAI has a couple of kits to offer as build to suit, a la cart style. Tig welded tubular manifold with your choice of Garrett or Borg Warner EFR turbo. You have the ability to to purchase all the needed hardware. Tuning is needed.

http://www.raimotorsport.com/RAI-MK6-2-0T-GTX-Turbo-Kit-p/rai_mk6_2.0t_gtx.htm

DIY/Custom -

There are companies that have manifolds or you can have one custom made. This is the most difficult way but you control what you want.

FFE custom Vband PTE5858 turbo kit.

CTS, ATP, RAI all have manifolds that can be purchased. AFI also has a tubular manifold that may or may not fit. If you are a good welder 034 has a CNC manifold flange available.

The Short list of what you need - turbo, turbo manifold, wastegate setup, downpipe, discharge piping, oil and coolant lines, intake piping

Future kits in the works by:
1.Unitronic

2.SPM?

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Tuning your big turbo

Probably the most important part, besides actually having a big turbo, of your build is getting a good tune.

Tuners -

Unitronic - Has stock fueling and upgraded fueling files for most kits out there and can do custom files if need be.
APR - for STG3 and STG3+ only you have to use their kit with tune
GIAC - By custom request
Revo - By custom request - known to be working with an ATP stock location GT28
Eurodyne - Fully customizable, you will get a base tune when buying but will need to get tuning done
Driver Motorsport - Custom Tuning services

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Engine Build Up:

Connecting Rods - The TSI has various performance rod options to choose from. Integrated Engineering, Redline SpeedWorx, INA, etc. Rods should be upgraded for an excess of 400hp and about 350wtq (which ever comes first)

Pistons - Currently the only drop in ready piston is Mahle, with the proper compression ratio. JE Pistons Currently does not have a drop in ready set but they can make custom set that will not have an issue. Factory pistons have been proven to excess of 500chp but if you are building its not a bad idea.

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Fuel Upgrades

Injectors - The Factory TSI injectors do a good job at fueling up to about 400chp and then you start to see issues. To go above this you will need to install a higher flowing set of injectors. Unlike the FSI we do not have the option of using an RS4 injector. NOTE: you will need new mapping to use larger injectors do not install larger injectors without a new tune.

1. APR 3+ - only available with the kit
2. LNF Injector - sought out by a fellow member a Cobalt LNF injector does flow more than the TSI's, Giac has tuning for them.
3. Unitronic Injectors - available from Unitronic along with tuning.

Future injectors:
Loba?

Low Pressure Fuel Pump - The low pressure, in-tank, pump feeds the high pressure underhood pump. Although its not truly "low pressure" the high pressure pump needs to see 6.4 to 6.6 bar (93-96psi) to have adequate fueling for the high pressure pump to feed those larger injectors. If pressure drops that means there is less available fuel. Under WOT conditions low pressure fuel can drop as much as 40psi down to a 50psi feed pressure which is not enough.

1. USP LPFP factory fit
2. USP Parallel Pump
3. Unitronic LPFP with out without the injectors

USP has a video showing this as will as their parallel in-tank pump solution.

http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_357_40_46_94&products_id=446 (for FSI call to confirm if its the same before you order)

Unitronic LFP and Injectors

Other low pressure options include a custom surge tank setup, custom in-tank pump, inline pump possible, etc.

Pic of surge tank in progress:

Last edited:

trackstar

Ready to race!
This is awesome! Don't forget 034's exhausts manifold flange and UM tuning.

Also I've heard that TTRS lpfp and module works... No confirmation but that's what I've heard

SammyTSI

Ready to race!
Just FYI

I have a set of big turbo TSI injectors for sale.

You also need to consider upgrades to the valvetrain.

Criz90

enjoying BT
Great thread. Hopefully this gets as popular and as much info as the golfmkv big turbo thread for fsi.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Nice!!! Good info maybe going with the ATP gt30 kit. I want to try UNIs bt kit but don't know how much longer I wana wait

UFfitz56

Ready to race!
This might be a dumb question but is it possible or "ok" to run an EWG? I loved the sound on my old 1.8t and my STI.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Going Further, Start throwing a large amount of money at it –
1. All the Above
2. Built Head for more RPM/Flow
3. Forged Pistons
4. Built Transmission (DSG) and possible stronger gears (manual)
5. Axles
6. Anything else that breaks

Unless I am unaware of any mechincal changes to DSG and axle from the MKV to MKVI, with the DSG and 300-500 hp, only thing one truly needs, is a LSD and good DSG software, like from United Motorsports. Worked with UM on software that porperly raises the clamp load and other tolerances, which allows my completely stock DSG handle countless runs down strip. I'm setting at 117,000 miles on the tranny and engine thats putting out 600+hp at the crank.

Halvie

WOOSA
Unless I am unaware of any mechincal changes to DSG and axle from the MKV to MKVI, with the DSG and 300-500 hp, only thing one truly needs, is a LSD and good DSG software, like from United Motorsports. Worked with UM on software that porperly raises the clamp load and other tolerances, which allows my completely stock DSG handle countless runs down strip. I'm setting at 117,000 miles on the tranny and engine thats putting out 600+hp at the crank.

3+ GLI making 470whp has already gone through a stock axle and just broke the raxles he replaced with.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I wonder why APR doesn't sell connecting rods with their Stage 3+ kit? They are a required part of that setup but you have to source them from another company.

It would be nice to be able to one stop shop everything needed for the 3+ kit.