GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Sway Bar Discussion Thread

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Just get a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill the bottom side of the bracket to release the nut from the front. Save the rubber bushings that come out and you’ll be able to use them again with the stock bar later.

Unfortunately the brackets aren’t available separate from the bar, it’s all considered to be one part for some reason.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I've been doing a lot of reading on suspension set up and came across this post on the golfmk7 forum:
"What's interesting though is that everyone runs to a rear bar to induce more oversteer, while there have been some very successful teams that moved to much stiffer front bars on Mcstrut FWD cars. The reason is that front roll creates positive camber, and by reducing that roll you keep more of your negative camber intact as you go round a corner. This leads to more lateral grip up front and better rotation. Here's a good read on the matter: https://nasaspeed.news/tech/suspens...-track-performance-for-strut-suspension-cars/ "

In the article he suggests limiting roll to less than 2 degrees. It makes a lot of sense to me now that I've digested it. I looked at pictures from Laguna Seca last year and my car was rolling almost 4 degrees in turn 4 which is a ~65mph sweeper. It looks like I'd need to double the roll stiffness of the car to get below 2 degrees. I ordered an H&R 26mm FSB to go with the 034 25mm RSB. That combination should increase the overall stiffness of the car 2.375x (both bars on soft) to 3x (both bars on stiff) compared to the stock bars.

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
i've read something similar and even employed the whole FSB thing on my evo. theory is that in maintains camber better on mcstrut cars. though that technically may be true, you don't get a whole lot of added grip from that, compared to how it will push you to understeer. i'm firmly back in the only RSB camp, and have considered going back to the stock FSB for the Evo. The way to have good camber on mcstrut cars is through caster, not thicker FSBs.

I ordered the 26mm H & R RSB for the golf r. vorshlag camber plates that will adjust caster for me and prob shoot for around 3 degrees of camber, since it's still a DD

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
okay - for those of you who got the vorshlag camber plates - did the springs fit the perches with ease? I think I got the wrong ones. It's not getting on the perch without damaging top hat, and the top hat is bigger than the OEM one, and there's really no other way this thing fits together..

IMG_20200212_185920.jpg
IMG_20200212_184114.jpg

IMG_20200212_184417.jpg

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I ran 60 laps at Laguna Seca yesterday. I started with the H&R 26mm RSB and 034 25.4mm RSB on their stiff settings. I was getting a lot of lift throttle oversteer and the stability control was stepping in. After the second session I moved the rear bar to soft (roughly equal to the H&R 24mm RSB on stiff). After that the car was balanced really well. I could adjust entry/mid corner oversteer with throttle. It still had a bit of lift throttle oversteer, but it wasn't nearly as obtrusive.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I ran 60 laps at Laguna Seca yesterday. I started with the H&R 26mm RSB and 034 25.4mm RSB on their stiff settings. I was getting a lot of lift throttle oversteer and the stability control was stepping in. After the second session I moved the rear bar to soft (roughly equal to the H&R 24mm RSB on stiff). After that the car was balanced really well. I could adjust entry/mid corner oversteer with throttle. It still had a bit of lift throttle oversteer, but it wasn't nearly as obtrusive.

which version of stability control? full off? rest of suspension stock, or got coilovers?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Full blown stability control. I don't have an LSD so if I turn off Traction Control or disable ESP in VAG-Com I get a lot of wheel spin.

Besides the sway bars I'm running camber plates and SuperPro LCA Anti Lift bushings. Everything else it stock suspension wise.

which version of stability control? full off? rest of suspension stock, or got coilovers?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Full blown stability control. I don't have an LSD so if I turn off Traction Control or disable ESP in VAG-Com I get a lot of wheel spin.

Besides the sway bars I'm running camber plates and SuperPro LCA Anti Lift bushings. Everything else it stock suspension wise.

damn. front diff potentially in the works for u?

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
sub'd.

jedred1

jedred1
I'm looking for some advice. Background: I have DG springs, stock shock/struts all around, SPM 26 front/22 rear ASB set to hard on both. With this set up I have lowered about 1.5 - 2 inch over all. Now I would like to get shock / struts all around to smooth out my harsh ride. I have always thought of Bilstein B6 to be my best options for my set up but I see Bilstein B8's are just about $100 more. So what do you guys think? B6's or B8's

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm looking for some advice. Background: I have DG springs, stock shock/struts all around, SPM 26 front/22 rear ASB set to hard on both. With this set up I have lowered about 1.5 - 2 inch over all. Now I would like to get shock / struts all around to smooth out my harsh ride. I have always thought of Bilstein B6 to be my best options for my set up but I see Bilstein B8's are just about $100 more. So what do you guys think? B6's or B8's

From what Google tells me the B6 is for sock springs & stock ride height. The B8 is shorter & for use with lowering springs. You have lowering springs so B8 seems the way to go. Do some more research before buying.

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
got some unfortunate news today. my H&R sway bars on on backorder with no ETA. to my understanding for most of the sway bars for our cars have to be serviced to avoid bushing squeaks H&R was the only one I really heard of that didnt have to be "serviced" what are other options out there for our cars. basically Im trying to determine if it would be worth waiting until they are available at the end of the year (maybe) or go with something else since Ill have coilovers going in soon.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ I did the ST rear sb (24mm IIRC) and OEM front and it handles nice. Turn in is much more controlled/predictable. Cornering is flat. I think the 034 rear bar is the same diameter just has different rear mounts with zerc fittings for greasing them. I put a bunch of powerflex copper grease on mine and havent had any noise for about a year/12k.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I had a 034 bar. I had to re-grease the bushings every couple thousand miles. If you go with a heavy bar in the rear and stock up front it gives the car a very un-natural feel, like the front and rear suspension are on slightly different time zones.

After the 034 I moved to the H&R 26mm front and 24mm rear. They have been great. The car is much more responsive, the outer edge of the front tires don't get chewed up as much and I haven't had to re-grease them at all.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
got some unfortunate news today. my H&R sway bars on on backorder with no ETA. to my understanding for most of the sway bars for our cars have to be serviced to avoid bushing squeaks H&R was the only one I really heard of that didnt have to be "serviced" what are other options out there for our cars. basically Im trying to determine if it would be worth waiting until they are available at the end of the year (maybe) or go with something else since Ill have coilovers going in soon.

FYI, I was told mid August for the H&R bars to be available from the supplier.

Last edited: