GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Joveen

Ready to race!
Just had my service done this past Friday in fear of my engine grenading itself at 80k miles. Had the cam bridge replaced as the metal screen was broken apart and the new tensioner installed along with a new lower timing chain cover. Should be good to go for a while now! Wasn't happy about needing to get this service done but I suppose its better than paying $3-5k for an engine rebuild.
Engine rebuild wouldn't be bad if you're looking to put down some good power. How much did the install cost you?

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Engine rebuild wouldn't be bad if you're looking to put down some good power.

Yea true, I'm looking to stay on stock internals. Looking for a turbo to get me near that 400whp mark then maintain to hopefully 200k.

Joveen

Ready to race!
Yea true, I'm looking to stay on stock internals. Looking for a turbo to get me near that 400whp mark then maintain to hopefully 200k.
400whp is good on stock internals. Anything too much over 400whp will need rods, pistons etc.. My goal is to stop at 400whp until the mk8 comes out lol.

bmanc42

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there anything else I need to do to remove the cam bridge besides remove top cover? Anything I should be aware of? It looks to me like I am safe to remove the screws but just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I want to check my screen

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Engine rebuild wouldn't be bad if you're looking to put down some good power. How much did the install cost you?

Oh I just saw this. I paid $1,500 for the timing chain tensioner swap and cam bridge replacement. They were going to try to reuse the old engine cover but ended up twisting it so they used a new cover(s). The job was a bit more expensive than I thought it would be, to be honest. But the shop always does a fantastic job. I always bring my car there for complicated things like this or my clutch job; both services went flawlessly.

I am noticing a 1-2 mpg increase from it, can't complain there. Can easily hit 30/31 mpg's on the highway with light pulls from time-to-time. Mid 30's if I drive like an old lady.

Joveen

Ready to race!
Oh I just saw this. I paid $1,500 for the timing chain tensioner swap and cam bridge replacement. They were going to try to reuse the old engine cover but ended up twisting it so they used a new cover(s). The job was a bit more expensive than I thought it would be, to be honest. But the shop always does a fantastic job. I always bring my car there for complicated things like this or my clutch job; both services went flawlessly.

I am noticing a 1-2 mpg increase from it, can't complain there. Can easily hit 30/31 mpg's on the highway with light pulls from time-to-time. Mid 30's if I drive like an old lady.
Good to know. I'll source out my parts to make things cheaper lol.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Good to know. I'll source out my parts to make things cheaper lol.

Yea, I'm sure you can get it done for cheaper. And If you aren't doing the cam bridge portion it'll make it that much cheaper. Think they told me that a new cam bridge and lower timing cover is like $4/500. The shop told me 1500 would be worse case scenario... meaning using new covers and replacing the cam bridge... it ended up being worse case scenario lol

Joveen

Ready to race!
Yea, I'm sure you can get it done for cheaper. And If you aren't doing the cam bridge portion it'll make it that much cheaper. Think they told me that a new cam bridge is like $4/500. The shop told me 1500 would be worse case scenario... meaning using new covers and replacing the cam bridge... it ended up being worse case scenario lol
I noticed you're in CT. Did you use for the install Excelerate?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I noticed you're in CT. Did you use for the install Excelerate?

Yup, sure did. They can be pricey, but in my experience they do a fantastic job. They are doing something right over there. I hear that their mechanics have a crazy amount of experience working on volkswagens; I've got the e-mail somewhere I could dig up.

Joveen

Ready to race!
This.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Yea, for the hell of it I just went on ECS Tuning to look up how much the parts cost. ECS Tuning's Cam bridge was a bit more expensive but for the cam bridge, upper timing chain kit (which includes new bolts, silicon, and cover), and oil/filter it came out to be around $675 in parts. I'm all for doing my own work when I can but this job was over my head and I didn't want to ruin anything.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm looking to cut down price lol.

Yea, going into this I thought it would be an $800 job. But I also had no clue about the cam bridge and its screen that likes to break. It might have been closer to 800 if it was just the tensioner swap. Really didn't wanna be spending that amount of cash but like I said before... beats turning your valves into mashed potatoes and being left with a bill for that.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Strikes again! 2011 120k no indication of an issue. Drove to work 7 miles got ready to leave and car didnt want to start. I got it to crank up and drove it 3 miles to my friends vw shop. Car still ran wouldnt rev past 1500k but i got it to the shop. He told me best case is chain and tensioner i told him do the rails also while in there. Should be ready monday if the valves arent trashed. It sounded like dogshit and the motor looked like the bushing were gone from the motor mounts it was about to jump otta the car. Luckily i had 1500$ saved up for the ko4 i was going to buy...i had planned on doing the tensioner at home but guess i waited a bit too long..will report back monday with tje good news..