GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Figured it would be nice to gather some info to point folks to.

What is known:
1. Unpredictable failure mileage could be as early as 10k and latest one so far happened at 60k.
2. Full engine replacement is recommended because jumped timing ruins both the head/valves and the bottom end.
3. VW seems to be picking up the tab while car is under the 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty.
4. Happens to tuned and untuned cars.
5. 2008-13 all Years seem to be affected
6. It seems that after 9/12 motor build dates updated tensioners were used
7. There is a TSB currently out on the issue:

Some Ideas for a fix
Updated tensioner as such: Long term durability is still not proven.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47082

2. OEM updated tensioner on the LEFT... the retainer on the factory installed tensioner fails... causing the chain to skip timing.

Last edited:

HSTuning

Ready to race!
Figured it would be nice to gather some info to point folks to.

What is known:
1. Unpredictable failure mileage could be as early as 10k and latest one so far happened at 60k.
2. Full engine replacement is recommended because jumped timing ruins both the head/valves and the bottom end.
3. VW seems to be picking up the tab while car is under the 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty.
4. Happens to tuned and untuned cars.
5. 2009-13 all Years seem to be affected, no updated parts were installed as of yet.

Some Ideas for a fix
Updated tensioner as such: Long term durability is still not proven.

2. OEM updated tensioner on the right... the retainer on the factory installed tensioner fails... causing the chain to skip timing.

THE OEM UPDATED CHAIN TENSIONER IS NOT ON THE RIGHT IN THESE PHOTOS, IT'S ON THE LEFT!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
My tech at the VW dealership has done more than. Handful of these. He noted that each time there was excessive engine sludge and reccomended a 5k oil change routine. He's never steered me wrong before.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
My tech at the VW dealership has done more than. Handful of these. He noted that each time there was excessive engine sludge and reccomended a 5k oil change routine. He's never steered me wrong before.

You make me thankful I'm strict on my 3k regimen.

However I will still be purchasing this once released. I too having start-up rattle, and it freaks me out every time I turn the car on.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You make me thankful I'm strict on my 3k regimen.

However I will still be purchasing this once released. I too having start-up rattle, and it freaks me out every time I turn the car on.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43512&highlight=chain+tensioner

Please take note, oil changes won't help this issue.

It had 17,000 miles on it and its about 13 months old. Oil was changed 3 times, once by the dealer @ 5k and 12k miles. Next Scheduled maintainence was 20k miles.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....

Your single data point doesn't change the fact that multiple techs have noted on multiple occasions that oil changes likely would help this issue.

You're right to say that it is a design flaw that doesn't require sludge to present itself, but that flaw is exacerbated by engine oil sludge. Changing the oil more frequently will act as a prophylactic.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You're right to say that it is a design flaw that doesn't require sludge to present itself, but that flaw is exacerbated by engine oil sludge. C

We can agree on that.

In theory though, an engine with less than 50k miles and recommended oil change intervals and correct oil shouldn't show any sludge, unless the sludge buildup is a flaw in itself.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
We can agree on that.

In theory though, an engine with less than 50k miles and recommended oil change intervals and correct oil shouldn't show any sludge, unless the sludge buildup is a flaw in itself.

Key words there are in theory. It's pretty widely accepted that the 10k oil change regimen isn't really enough. Plenty of people will use it, and not have any problems, but the sludge is a clear representation that the oil needs to be replaced more often.

MSB065

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I think if anything, SHORT TRIPS is bad for this thing! I changed my oil at 5k miles and mine went! Well it started going, not banging up the whole engine like everyone elses. Im just going to change mine more often, if this experiment works well I'll try it.

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Has this problem been confirmed on other cars? the TSI engine has been around since late 2008 and is deployed on several VW models.