GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Haha, I know, still waiting for a quote back from my preferred shop, another euro shop said they won't even do them and a third said they've never done a timing chain replacement (best rated VW shop in town supposedly) :bonk: and the dealership tried talking me out of it and wouldn't commit to a price (probably rather sell me a new one lol). The more I think it over the more sense it makes to just get it done now since I want to keep the car quite a while and will need to eventually. No reason play with fire.

My post from earlier in this thread.

Please remember this is just one guy's opinion on the Interwebz. Do what you think is right after careful research and don't rely on what one person says.

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
Please remember this is just one guy's opinion on the Interwebz. Do what you think is right after careful research and don't rely on what one person says.

One opinion doesn't constitute part revisions mid-production, nor would it generate enough attention for several law firms to try a class action suit against VAG (the B6 A4's with the same engine have the same early tensioner failures). The fact that you can simply type "2.0 tsi" on google and get "timing tensioner failure" results on page 1 should be a red flag.

There is a reason the GTI's we love land on the consumer reports 'Used Cars To Avoid' since 2012. It simply comes down to poor quality control on part production. This is why we see some 2010's clear 120k miles without hiccup with old band tensioners, others popping the things apart just over 30k miles. Considering the majority of VAG TSI engine have all suffered from chain stretch even prior to 100k miles, adding a $1500 chain/guide/tensioner job every 100k miles doesn't seem out of line (that includes the VR6's, 3.2's, V8's, the lot).

I guess there is real weight in the term 'YMMV' here :thumbsup:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Finally checked mine, got the new revision.

Build Date: December 2011, MY2012

Last edited:

Renck

Ready to race!
Turbo muffler delete and turbo outlet pipe installed..............and while I was there:

rsz_20170827_091747.jpg

Revised version, right?

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Need some advice here. Tonight I started my car and it violently jerked/lurched for about 5 seconds when I pushed the button, however returned to normal immediately after and drove home fine with no CEL. Does this sound like a tensioner related issue or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmanc42

Passed Driver's Ed
100k miles with new tensioner. 2012 model. Not sure if chains have been replaced. I just visually confirmed my cam chain has skipped by one tooth. I have p0016 code. Changed cam sensor no change. This happened immediately after I stalled the car or maybe it stalled because it skipped. I drove the car home it seemed fine just idles up and down and shakes at idle. Also have all cylinders misfiring at idle. Cranking car by hand it seemed I still had compression. Is it possible my chain skipped without catastrophic damage? I will be changing the chains and tensioners myself but all new valves is over my head and wallet. Any advice here? I have done timing belts on the Audi2.0t fsi motor this seems more complicated though

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
100k miles with new tensioner. 2012 model. Not sure if chains have been replaced. I just visually confirmed my cam chain has skipped by one tooth. I have p0016 code. Changed cam sensor no change. This happened immediately after I stalled the car or maybe it stalled because it skipped. I drove the car home it seemed fine just idles up and down and shakes at idle. Also have all cylinders misfiring at idle. Cranking car by hand it seemed I still had compression. Is it possible my chain skipped without catastrophic damage? I will be changing the chains and tensioners myself but all new valves is over my head and wallet. Any advice here? I have done timing belts on the Audi2.0t fsi motor this seems more complicated though

Yes ive heard of chain just skipping a tooth and not causing any long term damage besides the engine running rough.

bmanc42

Passed Driver's Ed
Like I said I drove the car home. I would think if I bent valves that would be impossible but I don't really know that. Anyway well see when I get my kit. Until then my car is out of commission :(

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
So from the info I’ve read, with my car having a build date of 4/13 I should have the newer revision timing chain tensioner right? Has the part been updated since 9/12? Other than on the mqb platform?

My car is a 2013 and I just hit 18k miles.

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Just had my service done this past Friday in fear of my engine grenading itself at 80k miles. Had the cam bridge replaced as the metal screen was broken apart and the new tensioner installed along with a new lower timing chain cover. Should be good to go for a while now! Wasn't happy about needing to get this service done but I suppose its better than paying $3-5k for an engine rebuild.