GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil all over the garage floor. WTF!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My GTI has been sitting since Thursday afternoon. Today I back it out of the garage & notice a big black puddle. It's oil, I checked the dipstick & It's down 1/2 quart. The oil was under the passenger side of the engine. Turbo oil line or some other culprit? I have no clue. I'm going to put the car up on ramps tomorrow & have a look see. Thank goodness I'm under the CPO warranty.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Could just be the plug.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I took a peek & it isn't the drain plug. That was my first thought. I'll know more tomorrow & will report back.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The Fumoto valve sucks!

Leaking drain plug FTW.

OK today I put the car on ramps & went under for a good look. I was sure it wasn't the drain plug, but it was! Well at least it was an easy fix. The Fumoto drain valve took a rock hit.

I had worried about that thing when I installed it, but reasoned others use it with no problems. I was right to worry. My car is at stock ride height, how do folks who are lowered do it?

Seems I dodged a bullet. Only damage was the damned valve & oil on the garage floor.

I officially hate the Fumoto valve.

Jaber

Modero
Did you have the locking clip? If not, maybe a good idea to get one if you decide to continue using the Fumoto valve.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
At least it was something minor!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I just keep a regular bolt. Sure the valve saves you like 2 minutes of unbolting and bolting but it hangs low. to much potential for it to break off imo.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The valve had the locking clip. It went MIA somewhere along the road. No more F$#!@*! valves for me. OEM drain plug & a new crush washer from now on. What was I thinking installing that valve???

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
So you're saying something hit the fumoto valve lever and even with the locking clip it opened the valve and didn't damage your oil pan? I've never had an issue with mine. You sir should play the lottery.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The valve had the locking clip. It went MIA somewhere along the road. No more F$#!@*! valves for me. OEM drain plug & a new crush washer from now on. What was I thinking installing that valve???

Well there you have it. That's nice sized rock you hit. Not sure I'd blame the fumoto valve. You didn't see or hear anything when you hit said rock?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Never heard anything hit the pan, but obviously I did. If you are running one of those valves take it off. The valve was closed, but leaking. Had it opened I'd have trashed an engine. I do feel very lucky.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Never heard anything hit the pan, but obviously I did. If you are running one of those valves take it off. The valve was closed, but leaking. Had it opened I'd have trashed an engine. I do feel very lucky.

Thanks. I'm good though. I've never had a problem with it.