GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Catch Can Cleaning

orrs2000

How often does everyone clean out their oil catch can? I have had mine installed for 3 months and maybe 1500 miles and it was already full to the top… does that seem normal?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
This will depend on a lot of factors. Size of the can. Moisture in the air. Type of driving (i.e. shirt trips vs long trips). Condition of the engine. How the can is routed. I would say 3 months of driving with only 1500 miles sounds like short trips are the norm or you just don't drive much. Based on what you have said I would guess most of the liquid is water. Most cans are not that big so I would say that sounds reasonable.

orrs2000

The consistency of the liquid was much more water than oil.. so that tracks.. It is mostly short trips to work or running errands on the weekend. Ill keep an eye on it and be sure to check it more often. Thanks!

torga

Autocross Champion
My personal rule of thumb is bi-weekly check in the warm months, weekly check in the cold months. I frequently find it 1/2 to 3/4 full on my cold month weekly checks.

But like Wascally said, it all depends on your climate, size of reservoir, and how you drive -- you'll eventually hone in on your frequency.

But one thing does hold true for everyone, either check it more often in the cold months (if your winters are mild), or think about uninstalling entirely if your winters are harsh. You do not want water freezing in those lines.