GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Filter Wrench Woes

Rascal

Ready to race!
Ok, I have a plethora of oil filter wrenches and none of them work worth a damn on this filter. Any recommendations for a good wrench that will fit the filter on this car? :eek:

I have found the cap type wreches work the best but they have to fit exactly. The three that I have don't appear to fit well.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Buy this.

Your welcome.

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
Ok, I have a plethora of oil filter wrenches and none of them work worth a damn on this filter. Any recommendations for a good wrench that will fit the filter on this car? :eek:

I have found the cap type wreches work the best but they have to fit exactly. The three that I have don't appear to fit well.

I went to Autozone found a Mann filter for my car and then right there in the store, fit a filter wrench (cap style that uses 3/8" drive) on the filter. Boom. Done. But wait... 6 months later I bought a WIX filter. When I went to take it off, it was a touch loose and the wrench would spin on of the filter. I ended up shimming the wrench with a towel or piece of paper towel. It snugged it up and worked out ok. I think the Kobalt strap style would be the best option to cover a variety of situations.

Rascal

Ready to race!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
meh to those.. I got something similar to this that I found worked the best on all types of filters regardless of the angle as its adjustable on the fly and you just squeeze to apply more pressure...and grip like a man is supposed to

http://amzn.com/B0000AXBVG

having to work with a strap or a chain I think is too cumbersome for how tight it is in there.. IMHO anyways.. good luck and choose wisely Jedi, there's no going back.

Rascal

Ready to race!
meh to those.. I got something similar to this that I found worked the best on all types of filters regardless of the angle as its adjustable on the fly and you just squeeze to apply more pressure...and grip like a man is supposed to

http://amzn.com/B0000AXBVG

having to work with a strap or a chain I think is too cumbersome for how tight it is in there.. IMHO anyways.. good luck and choose wisely Jedi, there's no going back.

In agreement am I. :D

Saw they had a vise grip style one too that is similar.

finklejag

Ready to race!
I been using the Lisle 63600 for over 5 1/2 years without a problem. I originally bought it to remove the factory Nissan filter in the past.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
To each there own, use what you like. All I know is that I've been using the Kobalt strap wrenches for years now (not just on automotive stuff) and they are awesome. Will always be a staple in my toolbox now. Can be used on any size object and at just about any angle as long as the rubber strap size fits around it.

Great for plumbing projects or opening those stubborn jar lids that won't budge too!

Ihaterice

Ready to race!
I just use a screwdriver and a hammer to poke a hole into the old filter then I can twist it off using the handle of the screwdriver for leverage! No tools needed ��

alpha3

Go Kart Champion