GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Pressure Issue

EuroKidChris

Pulled the engine with 100k did a full rebuild. Had the block machined, new piston rings, built the head etc. Dropped it in, primed the engine by pulling fuel pump fuse and turning it over to get oil going. Car starts right up after priming, sounds good, a little loud but nothing out of sorts, engine quiets down and sounds great. WARNING LOW OIL PRESSURE light comes on. I turn it off immediately. I’m looking for opinions and recommendations. The car sat for almost 2 years while I built it. Tomorrow I will replace the oil pressure sensor next to the oil filter. If that does not fix it I’m a bit lost on where to go from there. Please ask any questions that may help provide a diagnosis. Thanks in advance.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have had oil pressure issues but I had other problems. I lost a oil screen and had a balance shaft mounting hole rip off and get ground up. I would start by pulling the pan and checking the pick up tube. Maybe you left chain off the pump?

EuroKidChris

I have had oil pressure issues but I had other problems. I lost a oil screen and had a balance shaft mounting hole rip off and get ground up. I would start by pulling the pan and checking the pick up tube. Maybe you left chain off the pump?

Balance shafts were all clear upon inspection. All screens in tact and clean as a whistle. My oil pump pick up line was also clean but I’m diagnosing a failed oil pump, I’ll keep updating this thread as I go because today the sensor didn’t work and after using a pressure gauge the engine only showed 5psi 🥴🥴🤮. I’m guessing the vain inside the oil pump wore out and is allowing oil to move through it easily.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I did the same with a pressure gauge.
Hopefully its an easy fix, should be if its just the pump.
Going to waste all your fresh oil but its worth it if it gets you back on the road!

EuroKidChris

Going to waste all your fresh oil but its worth it if it gets you back on the road!
Yeah I have a lifetime supply of oil so I’m not worried about the oil. I mostly just want to make sure this engine is running in tip top shape. It’s a damn shame I overlooked the oil pump when I had it out.

EuroKidChris

Trying to figure out a way to get the oil pump out. Any tips or tricks? Am I going to have to take off the bottom oil cover and remove the tensioner because at that point I need to pull the motor again and I don’t have the time for it. BUMP 🤒🤒🤒

Attachments

• FD235FB6-C410-4C8B-910A-4D9851DBA3B1.jpeg
    FD235FB6-C410-4C8B-910A-4D9851DBA3B1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 527
  • E912B266-94BD-4BDF-AEFF-1B6439FE2281.jpeg
    E912B266-94BD-4BDF-AEFF-1B6439FE2281.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,237

EuroKidChris

BUMP. New Oil pump and still no oil pressure. Noisy at the head so I shut it down. Gage shows roughly 5psi. Any fricken idea??? Anyone?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have nothing to add because this is out of my depth, I just want to offer some encouragement and hope you get it resolved. Please let us know what it is when you get it resolved.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks @GolNat
@EuroKidChris I'm wondering why you pulled the engine for the rebuild? Why machine the block? Sometimes there is a check valve type thing in one of the oil ports, but I don't know that this is the case. It sounds like your oil is flowing TOO good so the pressure doesn't build. Probably a tolerance somewhere that is too big. If this is a new problem, you'll want to go over whatever they machined with a fine tooth comb. I hate to say it, but the engine will probably have to come apart.

autonoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Any leak within the oil passages of the engine can also result in low oil pressure. Some of the more common causes of an internal oil leak include worn piston rings and worn valve seals. In some cases, if the valve guides have excessive clearance, the excess space can lead to a reduction in oil pressure.

zrickety

The Fixer
There are those squirters under the pistons...did someone not reinstall them? That would be a big bottom end leak.