GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One tire to rule them all.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I'm getting close to ordering a set of dedicated autoX/track tires. I plan on doing ~5-6 autoX and 2 track days a year. I'd like the tires to last a year. I'm not going to be competing in either. This is just for fun.

So with those parameters, if you could only have one set of tires which would you choose?

I've been looking at the RS-4, Direzza III and RE-71R.

RS-4 are great for the track but take too long to warm up for AutoX.
Direzza III are better for AutoX (maybe .5 sec off the RE-71) and last longer than the RE-71s on track.
RE-71R is the hot ticket for AutoX, but may not last on the track.

My heart was really set on the RE-71s, but I'm thinking that the Direzza is probably the smart choice.

TIA

Chris

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Have any of you experienced ZIIIs? I just had a set on my m235i and only got 7.5k with 5-7 track days and street driving. Trying RE71Rs now. I'd guess ZIIIs wear close to RE71Rs.

Had RS4s on my GTI. They wear better, but as you said, likely take longer to heat up and were noisier.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
FWIW: I've been following the autocross/tracking threads on the Mk7 forum. Cliff there does a lot of both. He stated that he got 5 track days out of a set of RE-71Rs and 13 out of a set of the ZIIIs.

zrickety

The Fixer
What size are you running? You can go 235 easily, 245 even.
I'm seeing Yokohama Advan A052 that might be what you're looking for.
They have really impressed me with their street tires...

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I was planning to use my stock rims for my track tires. It looks like they only make the RA-1 in a 275/35/18.

I'd like to go to a 235/40/17 but I can't justify the cost of tires AND rims right now.

You’re getting a second set of dedicated autox/track tires on separate rims? If you won’t be driving them on the street, why get street tires?

I had some Proxes RA-1s on my last car and they were a real eye-opener.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?perf=DRY

AM407

Autocross Champion
Sorry, maybe I’m not following this. You’ll be trailering the car to the track?

Or will you still be driving on the street, but only to/from the track, so not a daily driver?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
This is my daily driver. I have a set of Pilot Sport AS3+ on Audi rims for daily duty. I have my stock Detroit wheels still and at least for the foreseeable future I'll be using those for autoX and track use. I won't be trailering the car. I live about 35 miles from Laguna Seca and Marina where the autoX is held. If necessary I can drive to the track on my street tires.

What I'm looking for is a tire that can hold up to track use but still be fairly competitive for autoX. So far it sounds like the ZIII is the best choice.

Sorry, maybe I’m not following this. You’ll be trailering the car to the track?

Or will you still be driving on the street, but only to/from the track, so not a daily driver?

AM407

Autocross Champion
Ok, thanks. I got it now. So, yeah, dedicated track tire. For sure I’d be looking at a proper R-compound tire like something on that Tire Rack list. Too bad the RA1 doesn’t come in a size that works - they would be a good choice for a mix of track & AutoX. But you said you’re not going to be competing, so I’m sure there would be something else that would work too.

I know performance street tires have come a long way, but I think if you’re looking for a track tire, then why not buy a track tire?

Oh, and wow, 35 miles from Laguna Seca. I’m jealous!

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
There are a couple reasons I'm not looking at R compound track tires. First, I want to run autoX and they aren't legal in the class I want to run. I won't be competitive in STH with a stage 1 GTI, but that's the class that best fits my car (minor suspension mods and ECU tune). R Comps would put me in a completely different league. Second, most organizers won't allow you to run on R Comp tires until you have something like 20 track days.

The problem with most of the autoX tires is that they overheat and wear fast on track. The Direzza seems to be the least prone to that issue, but it was about 1/2 second slower in TireRack's 1/3 mile track test. That's comparable to an autoX lap around here.

Ok, thanks. I got it now. So, yeah, dedicated track tire. For sure I’d be looking at a proper R-compound tire like something on that Tire Rack list. Too bad the RA1 doesn’t come in a size that works - they would be a good choice for a mix of track & AutoX. But you said you’re not going to be competing, so I’m sure there would be something else that would work too.

I know performance street tires have come a long way, but I think if you’re looking for a track tire, then why not buy a track tire?

Oh, and wow, 35 miles from Laguna Seca. I’m jealous!

AM407

Autocross Champion
Ok, makes sense.

Just throwing this out there, but what about the Firestone Indy 500? Haven’t looked into it much myself, but have heard it’s a surprisingly good all-rounder for cheap.

clownish

just clowning around
Ok, makes sense.

Just throwing this out there, but what about the Firestone Indy 500? Haven’t looked into it much myself, but have heard it’s a surprisingly good all-rounder for cheap.

I would only use the Indy firehawk on a low torque daily; not in any performance setting. They’re really not that great of a tire and their cost is going up. Used to be able to get them for under $70 a tire in 18in and now it’s much higher. I run them now on a vr6 car.

For the autoX/road course application I use hankook rs4s after having tried a number of other tires. Used to buy the rs3s now rs4s. The high wear is worth the cost of having to warm them up to me. And the sidewall stiffness is something I’ve gotten used to driving on, I guess. Easy to tell where it stops.