GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Options for turbo muffler/ outlet pipe?

Gti2022

Hey y’all. 2011 gti with a downpipe. So I scored an ie tune stage two, which is awesome. According to the boost gauge that previous owner placed in car, hitting 21 or so psi. Definitely quicker and has lots of midrange. K

So I blew the turbo outlet pipe off yesterday. I have to score a jack to get under and see, but the pipe is dragging the ground. I assume it popped off turbo outlet.

Since I have to go under and reinstall things, any suggestions for upgrading the outlet side? Turbo muffler delete, or a hard pipe? I want to eliminate the weak connectors mainly, but more noise, faster spool would be greatly appreciated.

I have googled it, but I didn’t see a breakdown or guide for which parts do what. Does anyone sell a combo cheaply? Where can I find a used part, and what should I be looking for?

I had a 335i where charge pipe would blow often, it was annoying. Thanks for any suggestions on increasing reliability.

mattpowers

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not 100% sure which part you are referring to as the turbo outlet pipe. I'm assuming that you are not referring to the downpipe, but maybe the pancake pipe that goes from the intercooler into the compressor? It's the black pipe located directly behind the passenger wheel. If so, I believe CTS and a few other companies have pipes for this, but I don't think it's a common problem although many people do not like the factory clips that are installed on it. I don't think you'd be seeing any performance increase, but if one of the connectors is not working right, replacing this pipe with some good clamps would probably give you some peace of mind

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
That ^^ is my understanding. I am doing this Mod now. ARM is a great company based in Los Angeles. Since our dub is upgraded to K04 I cannot use it and went with the CTS Turbo TOP. Neuspeed also makes one.

I believe there will be some performance increased with the TOP

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The entire TOP assembly is made up of several sections, but both ends use the clip style fittings for the oem turbo outlet and oem intercooler inlet...So you're kind of stuck with those. Companies make a replacement for the plastic "pancake" pipe section but they still uses the clips and idk if this really adds much performance. You can however buy new o-rings and clips for the fittings which may fit more snugly. Ive never really had issues with it popping out on stage 2 but ive refreshed the o-rings and replaced the clips a few times.

Gti2022

I did some more research and it appears the pipe isn’t a huge parasitic drag. I was more hoping to bulletproof the simple problems with connectors. Oh well, time to get some t clamps or worm gears. Thanks y’all.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
pancake pipe = TOP = discharge pipe, all interchangable terms here.

in general terms, removing restrictions is the move to make for increased power. bigger volume of your system should pay off on power. bigger TOP, bigger Intercooler, bigger throttle body pipe (which is also a bit smaller than it could be).

are you still on stock turbo?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I had the discharge pipe pop off the IC numerous times, I took it to different shops until that one shop fixed it by adding 3 hose clamps and a different type of silicone coupler. This happened after I went ko4 and stage 2+ Unitronic tune.

I'll send pictures. It's in a picture I put up of my MK6 undercarriage/engine bay area.

Gti2022

So yeah, I’m gonna need both upper and lower. Most of the kits showed a upper pipe, don’t think that will work for me😂. The lower is what popped, from intercooler connection.

Attachments

• B94600CD-D1F6-4AF7-B24E-A155E915C2FB.jpeg
    B94600CD-D1F6-4AF7-B24E-A155E915C2FB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Ya the lower part is what popped off my GTI as well, I have several clamps on it now, I'll post a picture of it tonight when I get home from work, my GTI doesn't see much driving during the weekdays, I live close to my workplace so I don't drive as much, unless I need to go somewhere else after.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So yeah, I’m gonna need both upper and lower. Most of the kits showed a upper pipe, don’t think that will work for me😂. The lower is what popped, from intercooler connection.
Blame it on the BOOST

Gti2022

I bought that piece gmagoo. Thanks, I couldn’t find another that contained upper and lower, at least not in a store here. Thanks.