GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking brake adjustment

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
If you work the parking brake handle several times, it should take up the slack; the calipers are self-adjusting to bring the pads in contact with the disc after replacement.

I don't know why people are saying NOT to adjust the parking brake cables. I would say adjust to take up most of the slack in the cable without actuating the rear caliper lever. I had to replace both my cables due to sticking in cold weather (ended up with glowing brake rotors) and I adjusted them to be just this side of snug, so there's no free play in the handle. My rear brakes start to engage at the 2nd click or so, but they don't drag at all.

A word of caution, however: ONLY adjust your cables after your rear brakes are already self adjusted. If you perform any brake work, make sure the calipers have taken up all the slack before you adjust the cables.
I worked it at least 50 times and it did nothing. This was after driving the car for a few days so the calipers have taken up all the slack. Brakes feel great while driving, just the parking brake handle goes all the way up. I got under the car yesterday to check both parking brake cables were hooked up properly.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I worked it at least 50 times and it did nothing. This was after driving the car for a few days so the calipers have taken up all the slack. Brakes feel great while driving, just the parking brake handle goes all the way up. I got under the car yesterday to check both parking brake cables were hooked up properly.

In this case, the cables most likely do need to be adjusted. You'll need to take the center console partially apart to do this, but you'll be able to access the parking brake linkage and tighten up the nuts to take up the slack.