Compare to......

Apple iMac - $1499.99

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

I challenge anyone to call into question the quality of the PC components. This is not an off the shelf $499 Dell, those are hardcore components used and abused by overclockers everyday in 24/7 folding and gaming machines. They meet or exceed the "quality" of the base Apple components easily. Apple doesn't use the bargin basement stuff in the Dell/HP specials, they also do not use hardcore enthusiast grade parts either. The performance of all components are also well in excess of the pre-installed Apple components. ; faster CPU speed, more and faster RAM, video card with more stream processors and more RAM, Blue-Ray drive and larger display.

All that for just $2 more.....and you can still run the same MacOS. You could easily lower the cost by 20-30% by scaling down the performance closer to the iMac range and then purchase VMWare Workstation to eliminate any shortfalls in the virtualization of MacOS in VirtualBox (which would only apply in certain rendering environments and gaming) and still be less. And for those that just want MacOS and don't care about the overkill performance, you CAN build a system for half that AND run MacOS....best of both worlds.

The only real difference is the aesthetics of the Apple in their "sexy white plastic".....and the slower performance in the Mac of course. ;)

So, if someone wants to pay more for less just to get the Apple logo, that's cool, it's their money, nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. But they can't sit back and state that the Mac is the BEST product and nothing else competes.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
LOL! So the last one is obviously IE. :D

And we come to an agreement! :p

Okay, one more to make people laugh because even though we might be Apple or Microsoft fans, together we are all GTI owners! :w00t:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
LOL! Good one. Here is one of my new favs, and totally apropos for the thread:

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Oh, and I bet you weren't aware of this fancy Microsoft product.

The entire web, all on a convenient floppy disc.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
LOL! Good one. Here is one of my new favs, and totally apropos for the thread:

Ok, this one made me fall out of my chair. Thank you. LOL This happens in my house ALL the time. :laugh:

And for us geeks........

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2nd gen MacBook Air - bought it for my wife to use... I love that thing, it's epic and awesome for trips! 10 second cold boot FTW!

McQueen77

Banned
you guys are funny. everything you are saying may be somewhat right on a technical level, or rather, you can get the same speed and processing power as a Mac on a PC for less money, but at the end of the day, are you going to go in and tell say, Chris Lord Alge, or Andy Wallace, a couple of guys who have mixed some of the the biggest records of the past 25 years that they would have been 'smarter' or more 'practical' to use a PC? No, you aren't. Are all of these massively successful engineers, mixers, producers, editors, designers etc. all using Macs because of marketing? Do you think that professionals dealing with multi-platinum selling artists, massive music, movie and advertising budgets and studio time that pushes $1000 an hour are using Mac's because of their sleek design or clever marketing?

You also fail to mention in all your PC glory that when people speak of computer problems like viruses, reloading operating systems, crashes, DLL errors, spy ware etc., they are referring to Windows-specific problems, not computer problems. Mac users hear about these things, but rarely if ever have to deal with them. Ive never had to deal with them. Virus? Whats that?? When you have a 30 second spot to finish mixing and turn in to the client by 8am and you've been up for 2 days working on it, you can't afford to have some virus bullshit interfere. Macs work. Thats why people use them. Simple OS, simple interface. They work. Oh, and they look really nice. Maybe you should just drive a Ford Focus instead of your GTI because it has 4 wheels, moves forward has brakes and a steering wheel. Oh, but it looks like a turd. Oh well. It works and you sure saved a bundle! PCs work too but for whatever reason, no one in entertainment, only a multi billion dollar industry, uses them. And the basic requirement for this multi billion dollar industry I speak of? Reliable, massive, fast processing power and ease of use.

Say what you will, but pop culture as we know it from the past few decades at least was created on Macs. Get over the Mac beef. Why you mad, bros? Maybe you can go and tell all the guys who did the post production on say, Avatar, that they should have used PCs because Macs are really 'slow' and 'underpowered'. Seriously, you guys are tripping out.

Maybe Steve Jobs was awarded with a Grammy Special Merit Award because of Apple's nifty marketing campaigns?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/21/steve-jobs-honored-with-2012-grammy-special-merit-award-for-contributions-to-music/

Key words being: Technical GRAMMY® Award for contributions of outstanding technical significance to the recording field — which the groundbreaking company continues to achieve to this day.

Last edited:

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
I have a 2nd gen MacBook Air - bought it for my wife to use... I love that thing, it's epic and awesome for trips! 10 second cold boot FTW!

All SSDs boot fast. That's nothing new. Being a laptop, most of the time you close the lid which puts it into sleep mode. When you open the lid, the OS is available instantly whether Mac or Windows. My old Latitude E6400 with a Core 2 and standard 5400RPM drive is available instantly the moment I open the lid. Nobody powers off their laptop these days so boot time bragging is moot. :rolleyes:

You also fail to mention in all your PC glory that when people speak of computer problems like viruses, reloading operating systems, crashes, DLL errors, spy ware etc., they are referring to Windows-specific problems, not computer problems. Mac users hear about these things, but rarely if ever have to deal with them. Ive never had to deal with them. Virus? Whats that?? When you have a 30 second spot to finish mixing and turn in to the client by 8am and you've been up for 2 days working on it, you can't afford to have some virus bullshit interfere.

Viruses/malware have nothing to do with the operating system. I can install a whole crap of them on a Mac just as easily. If you don't believe me, give me your Mac and I'll return it to you in a condition that will make you scream. Viruses/malware will infect because of uneducated computer owners/users. These same people will reply to those e-mails asking for bank account and SSN information (phishing) and even check cashing fraud schemes. My brother is a Apple lover. He was actually arrested by the FBI for his involvement in a check cashing scheme because he was gullible.

Your logic of anti-virus and anti-malware is true but that's due to the OEMs pushing garbage like McAfee or Norton in free 30 day trialware. Just install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) instead, it's completely free, transparent and protects you from anything. I know, I've actually tried to infect computers with MSE running and it just won't get past the protection. Wish Microsoft could push it on every new computer but 1) they would get sued and 2) OEMs would bitch because they'd lose out on money from McAfee and Norton.

Macs work. Thats why people use them. Simple OS, simple interface. They work.

My daughter could use Windows when she was 5. Are you saying you aren't smart enough to figure out a Start button? Are you seriously saying that?

Macs work when they do work. Every new update that Apple releases has fixes to resolve issues with Mac operating systems and Apple software. I am very aware of each new update. Again, I went through Apple Care training when I did tech support. Of course you don't realize it because it's just OS X 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 but each one of those last digit updates included a mass of fixes. Do you really want me to post all of them for Lion so far? It's up to 10.7.3. That's 3 major updates with a LOT of fixes.

Oh, and they look really nice. Maybe you should just drive a Ford Focus instead of your GTI because it has 4 wheels, moves forward has brakes and a steering wheel. Oh, but it looks like a turd. Oh well. It works and you sure saved a bundle! PCs work too but for whatever reason, no one in entertainment, only a multi billion dollar industry, uses them. And the basic requirement for this multi billion dollar industry I speak of? Reliable, massive, fast processing power and ease of use.

Multi-billion dollar entertainment industry that pales in comparison to banking/credit corporations and oil companies. The DoD? Billions of dollars and doesn't use Macs. Every single major hospital? Are 95% Windows and that's billions of dollars. Health care is a crazy expensive industry. About 90% of the world uses Windows. You need to get over yourself and realize that.

As far as the "looking nice" and "looks like a turd". You have some serious vanity issues there, bud.

Maybe Steve Jobs was awarded with a Grammy Special Merit Award because of Apple's nifty marketing campaigns?

Um, Steve Jobs is dead and refused proper cancer treatment, so that doesn't speak much for him. Steve Jobs benefited from technology he didn't create, which was a music downloading originating with Napster. Had Napster never existed or compressed audio formats (MP3) came about, would iTunes have ever put Apple on the map? Without iTunes you have no iPod. Without iPod there wouldn't have been an iPhone.

Do some thinking next time before you proclaim Steve Jobs as someone who innovated anything. Wait, I mean do some thinking OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. That will help you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Thumper — I've always loved that on. It's so funny, and nobody gets it.

McQueen — We basically shook hands and made up. Nobody is going to change anybody's mind here. We are all here cause we love our dubs, so instead of building walls over something not related to that, it's better to laugh it off, hence all the funny pics.

dinkdinker — I'm disappointed you took the bait. I'm done in here. See you guys in the car threads.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
dinkdinker — I'm disappointed you took the bait. I'm done in here. See you guys in the car threads.

My care cup is empty. What part of "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF ME" do you not understand? When you begin to realize that I am not vain, self-centered or egotistical like a lot of you here are...that will help you.

blj5033

I own both, but primarily use my MacbookPro17. Its not that i set out and was all OMG Apple, its just how the cookie crumbled.

Purchased my MacbookPro in December 2010 to replace my Dell XPS13. Then my Android phone had died March 2011, so i purchased an iPhone4. I'll be going back to android when ever my iPhone dies, which hopefully isn't soon.

VWTN

Ready to race!
Seriously, the proper ANSWER is not even in the poll. :D

TOTAL = $1501.91

Compare to......

Apple iMac - $1499.99

21.5-inch: 2.7GHz

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

I challenge anyone to call into question the quality of the PC components. This is not an off the shelf $499 Dell, those are hardcore components used and abused by overclockers everyday in 24/7 folding and gaming machines. They meet or exceed the "quality" of the base Apple components easily. Apple doesn't use the bargin basement stuff in the Dell/HP specials, they also do not use hardcore enthusiast grade parts either. The performance of all components are also well in excess of the pre-installed Apple components. ; faster CPU speed, more and faster RAM, video card with more stream processors and more RAM, Blue-Ray drive and larger display.

All that for just $2 more.....and you can still run the same MacOS. You could easily lower the cost by 20-30% by scaling down the performance closer to the iMac range and then purchase VMWare Workstation to eliminate any shortfalls in the virtualization of MacOS in VirtualBox (which would only apply in certain rendering environments and gaming) and still be less. And for those that just want MacOS and don't care about the overkill performance, you CAN build a system for half that AND run MacOS....best of both worlds.

The only real difference is the aesthetics of the Apple in their "sexy white plastic".....and the slower performance in the Mac of course. ;)

So, if someone wants to pay more for less just to get the Apple logo, that's cool, it's their money, nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. But they can't sit back and state that the Mac is the BEST product and nothing else competes.

This is fair, however... If it were that easy or great, people would do it more.

I do not argue with your math or even your points. You are right. However, 2 things you may have overlooked is resale and customer service. Sometimes, for some people, this not only personally justifies the price, it makes perfect sense to them.

I bought a refurb 27" iMac from Apple. Had some dead pixels. Called Apple they gave me options. I decided to take it in. Guy walked out with a new one. Not a refurb, a new one. Shook my hand said "sorry about the trouble" and off I went.

My father got into the hot tub with his iPhone. Free replacement. Neighbor broke his. Free replacement. Friend broke his. Free replacement. Neighbors mac mini died. Older model not built anymore. Sent him a new model, free. However, this one didn't have the dvd drive so they sent him one of those as well, free. I have too many stories like this to just pass it off as "you got lucky".

It's possible the thing I bitch most about in life is the glaring lack of customer service nowadays. Apple simply blows my socks off. PC manufacturer customer support is not only abysmal, it is the webster's definition of pure satanic hell.

Resale: I often see 2 to 3 year old MBP for sale for around 200-300$ less than what they originally cost. :iono: I sell my iphone every year for more than I paid for it. I actually make money on getting a new phone every year. My neighbor buys ipads at launch, at full retail, and makes thousands selling them locally. :iono: There is some intrinsic value there.