GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV: OEM or Genuine VW?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
150? Shit mine was 205 at the stealership

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I paid £79 GBP from a VW dealership ($103 USD).

Parts must be cheaper here I guess, maybe being closer to the manufacturer?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yogidave

Oem all the way dont risk your real main seal over the price difference. Strange thing tho my gf pcv on the gli passed the oil cap test but failed the dip stick test. Also had zero fault codes. When I loosed the torx screws on the unit the very top square part Instantly lifted and gushed oil. So you cant always trust the oil cap, dip stick or depend on a fault code to show up.

So, how do you definitively determine if you need to replace the PCV?

I’ll do the dipstick/filler cap test and I have an OBDEleven in the mail.

Do I remove the current one and inspect it?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

In my case I couldn’t really be sure it was bad, no codes, and the dip stick test wasn’t obvious! Once the rear main popped again! (12 months after the first was fitted) I knew!!

The PCV doesn’t actually log any codes directly but instead you get codes for the things it causes, such as a lean condition, but it can fail so many ways not many fails log a code! Rough idle is another symptom,

Check this video out,

https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

yogidave

In my case I couldn’t really be sure it was bad, no codes, and the dip stick test wasn’t obvious! Once the rear main popped again! (12 months after the first was fitted) I knew!!

The PCV doesn’t actually log any codes directly but instead you get codes for the things it causes, such as a lean condition, but it can fail so many ways not many fails log a code! Rough idle is another symptom,

Check this video out,

https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

I’ve watched that.

Car runs fine, but will scan in a few days when the OBD11 tool shows up.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
In my case I had the carbon cleaning done by a forum member here about 12k miles ago. When the manifold sensor went out recently he pulled the manifold and saw alot of build up, more than should have been there considering it was just cleaned.

nagokart

Ready to race!
Is the PCV an item that you'd recommend replacing as preventative maintenance? I don't want to blow any rear main seals.

beetlegreg

Ready to race!
If that small umbrella valve ( on bottom of PCV ) goes bad it allows boost into crank case from intake --leaking rear main

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I had to replace my rear main seal after a bad PCV. I believe this was the one put in. As far as I was told it won't fail if your PCV does. Cost me the same as another VW seal would have, so I went with it.

It might be worth checking to see if there are others. I can't find the paperwork showing this was the company, but it was an upgraded one.