GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV: OEM or Genuine VW?

yogidave

So, is there a compelling reason to spend $150 on the genuine VW PCV vs an OEM version for $60?

Car is a "new to me" mint 2013 GTI Autobahn DSG with rev "E" PCV.... don't know if there's any issue with what I have, but want to be proactive with maintenance.

Thanks.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
So, is there a compelling reason to spend $150 on the genuine VW PCV vs an OEM version for $60?

Car is a "new to me" mint 2013 GTI Autobahn DSG with rev "E" PCV.... don't know if there's any issue with what I have, but want to be proactive with maintenance.

Thanks.

OEM simply don’t work properly! Others will say get a catch can, but if your stock stick with a genuine PCV and you’ll be fine.

AH is the newest revision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Although the PCV can fail in many different ways, the best test is to pull the dip stick or open the oil filler cap while the engine is idling, if it starts running rough and almost stalling the PCV is OK!

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Oem all the way dont risk your real main seal over the price difference. Strange thing tho my gf pcv on the gli passed the oil cap test but failed the dip stick test. Also had zero fault codes. When I loosed the torx screws on the unit the very top square part Instantly lifted and gushed oil. So you cant always trust the oil cap, dip stick or depend on a fault code to show up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
(removed for being incorrect)

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Maybe I'm wrong...I swear I saw someone say Genuine VW is a brand...trying to figure out if that's right or not now.

Sorry, I was wrong. I got confused. It's Original Equipment that's a brand. Genuine VW is OEM. Sorry for that.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Genuine (made by VW) available from the dealer.

OEM copy parts made to spec.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
lol, My memory is terrible. :mad0259:

yogidave

Maybe I'm wrong...I swear I saw someone say Genuine VW is a brand...trying to figure out if that's right or not now.

Sorry, I was wrong. I got confused. It's Original Equipment that's a brand. Genuine VW is OEM. Sorry for that.

Really the question is do I buy one stamped with VW for $150, or one that is made to spec, but not labeled as “VW “ for $60?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
VW, the other ones Available are not great quality (mostly Chinese).

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My experience with aftermarket so far is you end up buying the same thing 2-3 times because they suck and you end up paying as much as you did if you bought oem. Actually more because you buy oem after you get sick of the aftermarket stuff.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Oem all the way dont risk your real main seal over the price difference. Strange thing tho my gf pcv on the gli passed the oil cap test but failed the dip stick test. Also had zero fault codes. When I loosed the torx screws on the unit the very top square part Instantly lifted and gushed oil. So you cant always trust the oil cap, dip stick or depend on a fault code to show up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve had 4 PCV’s in two years, never any codes always seemed to pass the tests!!! latest one fitted a few days ago, but the rear main is leaking now for the second time!!! Because of the CONSTANT problems with my mk6 gti I’ve traded it at my local vw dealership and I pick up my 2016 Mk7 gti performance in the morning [emoji106]

I Must remember to clean the oil off[emoji6]