GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PedalBox Review.

Kiev

Passed Driver's Ed
First, I do not represent this company neither I am receiving any money or gifts from them
or from other company to write this review.

After I just got this electronic device 2 days ago I am doing this review
for all the people that does not like how the throttle response
was design on this vehicle, like me, and they have been trying to find a solution for this problem.

The PedalBox, if you do not know, is an electronic device that intercepts the signal
coming from your pedal accelerator and increases it by certain percentage considering the
program selected. You can google it if you want to know more about it.

This electronic device has 3 main programs: ECO, SPORT and SPORT+ with 6 different variations each one,
3 steps to increase and 3 steps to decrease the main response curve of each program which
gives you a really fine tuning of how you want the pedal throttle responds. Also, you
have the option to just turn it off and the signal is going to be back to stock.

Some points to consider:

1. It is expensive? YES
1. Does increase the engine power? NO
2. Does increase the engine response? YES
3. Does take out completely the existent lag? If you have a really sensitive foot and you are
VERY picky still there is a little bit, otherwise this is completely solved.
4. Can I change programs on the fly? YES
5. What I expect by using it? Expect the same feel as before and after you chipped your car.
For the people that has the APR switching option it is kind like switching between chipped
program(s) and the stock option. Pratically a new car.
6. Is It the same as If I press more the gas pedal? ABSOLUTELY NO.

Because you can switch program on the "fly" you can instantly notice how the car reacts
to each program and I am pretty sure, if you use it, you will not go back to the stock mode
anymore like me.

Even I read before a lot of controversy and negative arguments about using this electronic
device in other forums I decided to give it a try and I am very happy I did it.

I think this device really fixes in a big proportion the throttle response/lag on this car.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I'm with you man. Best thing I did for my '12 DSG was put a pedalbox in it. This car stock has one of the most hilariously unresponsive pedals ever installed, and the DSG changes its character all the time, especially when the AC is on, so 300 bucks or not, this fixes that problem. I would go so far to say it did even more for me than the APR tune. Now with stage one and the pedal in sport mode, I can happily drive it around in AUTO and get immediate boost instead of having to be in manual all the time to have any fun. Great mod, haters gonna hate.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
6. Is It the same as If I press more the gas pedal? ABSOLUTELY NO.
Actually, it is. This device and others like it amplify the throttle position signal.

Is it convenient? Yes. Does it do anything your right foot can't do? No.

Yugo

Underdog Racing
Actually, it is. This device and others like it amplify the throttle position signal.

Is it convenient? Yes. Does it do anything your right foot can't do? No.

Have you tried it or any other throttle amplifier? I have tried both PB and SB. In theory you are correct. You should be able to do the same thing by pressing the gas pedal harder but from my experience it just doesn't feel the same as it's hard to judge how much throttle input I need to give it to replicate what PB does. Also another advantage is that the pedal travel movement has been reduced. The only thing I dislike about these products is the throttle input is no longer linear and you can get max rpm's by only pressing the pedal 50% of the way down.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I went for the sprint booster as I got it cheap(er).
Makes a huge difference.
Best way I can describe it is that makes the car feel more lively and way more responsive to how I want it to be for the pressure I want to apply on the pedal. It made the car feel vastly more fun. And these are all about feeling - not the statistical nonsense that others will spew out to rebut it.
And you are right, it does feel like another stage of a tune added.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Just went for a drive and played around with sport and sport+ mode then went back to stock just for fun. All the sudden Its like the car is mentally disabled lol. "oh what? give it gas? you sure? ok......... there we go!"

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Have you tried it or any other throttle amplifier? I have tried both PB and SB. In theory you are correct. You should be able to do the same thing by pressing the gas pedal harder but from my experience it just doesn't feel the same as it's hard to judge how much throttle input I need to give it to replicate what PB does. Also another advantage is that the pedal travel movement has been reduced. The only thing I dislike about these products is the throttle input is no longer linear and you can get max rpm's by only pressing the pedal 50% of the way down.
No, I haven't tried them, nor am I going to. As an engineer with more than two decades of hardware and software development experience I have a good understanding of how they work, and what they can and can't do.

I realize that people like them because they make the car feel more responsive, but that's all it is, and you can get the same result with your right foot. In most cases someone with a Sprint Booster or Pedal Box will simply become accustomed to having to use less throttle input and drive the car the same as someone without the box.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Meh. That's been said a million times. We know how it works.

It does give a huge difference in feeling of driving. I drive it mostly in stock and turn it one when I want the car to liven up a bit whilst driving the same without having to mash the pedal all the time. I vary it constantly so am not getting used to it. You can't get exactly the same feeling by pushing the pedal more. Close but not exact.

I guess it comes mostly front being used to top hinged accelerator pedals. And I got this car with the bottom hinge I don't like the feel of it. Requires too much unusual angled pressure and too much moving the heel around. I rather drive with my heal fixed in place and pivot between brake and accelerator and use the toes part for the accelerator - not the rest of the foot. With the way the pedals are set up that means the accelerator is not at a flat angle to my foot if I want it kept still for the brake - whereas with top hinged pedals it feels fine. The SB kind of gives that lighter feeling back.

Last edited:

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
Which one is the best one to get?? Pedalbox or sprint booster?? also best website to buy!

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the price you get it for. Look in various forums for for sale threads. That's were I found one.
Make sure part number distinguished auto of manual if SB.
Pedalbox looks to have more settings and fine tuning. SB has three settings and a better looking discrete switch controller. Both could be hidden fully out of view.

www.sprintboosterusa.com
www.pedalboxusa.com

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
No, I haven't tried them, nor am I going to. As an engineer with more than two decades of hardware and software development experience I have a good understanding of how they work, and what they can and can't do.

I realize that people like them because they make the car feel more responsive, but that's all it is, and you can get the same result with your right foot. In most cases someone with a Sprint Booster or Pedal Box will simply become accustomed to having to use less throttle input and drive the car the same as someone without the box.

As an engineer with two decades of experience, you have perfected the art of using math and hard science to prove that others are wrong about their opinion of something that they have tried and you have not. We're very impressed. No sarcasm meant. A great skill to have. I bet it wins you lots of friends.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I never said that your or anyone else's opinion is wrong, and acknowledged that people like these devices for the apparent increase in engine responsiveness. But they do not increase power (which wasn't claimed here, just pointing it out) and don't do anything you cannot do by adjusting your driving habit. In fact, you wind up changing your driving habit in response to having a Sprint Booster or Pedal Box installed, just in the opposite direction.

If you like it, that's great, I'm happy for you. The only point I have made in post #3 is that you can get the same results without the box.

Shep1

Ready to race!
This sounds interesting... I know when I go from the GTI to our family hauler, Ford Flex, I am always giving the Flex too much gas pedal and launching away from a stop unexpectedly while my Wife gives me the "what are you doing?" eye.