GOLFMKV

[Poll] Reps v Real Wheels

Which rim should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnstephard250

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Not sure if I should post this here or in the wheels or tires section. This is not a fitment question but a wheel decision question so I just posted here.

I currently have 17x8.5 Niche Targas.

I am thinking of trading for 18x8 Alzor 349s.

Not sure which one I should go with.

Pros for Niche:
- Not reps
- Better color (anthracite v black Alzors)
- Lighter

Alzor 349:
- Better looking in my opinion
- Going up a rim size always looks better
- Will get newer (and better) tires
- Will raise my car a little so won't scrape on the speedbump I go over everyday.

I'm not really that much into comfort although that is always a plus. I am mostly going for looks, but I definitely don't want a bent rim. I'm in Colorado, so the roads aren't horrible, but potholes do exist on very few roads.

Basically, are reps prone to cracking easier than Niches? I know reps are considered bad quality, but I'm not sure Niche is really THAT much better. I just don't know.

I also don't track my car, so lighter really isn't an advantage, but I just wanted to post it up there anyway.

I'm not sure which one to go with. Please help.

B6JoeS4

Ready to race!
I have 18" Alzor 620's that have been on the car for 5000 miles. I will not be buying another set. IMO, wheels just can't be that cheap new and shipped while still having some good quality. I drive very carefully having driven lowered cars for a long time and one of them already bent on the inner part of the barrel. I did not even hit a big bump or anything.

The finish on the same wheel that bend does not look as good and I had to grind down the paint on the inner part of the hub where the center cap goes to get the center cap that comes with it to fit so I think they sent me a re manufactured one.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
I love my laguna's, I feel like a oem or a quality wheel are the way to go

kern417

Go Kart Champion
it really depends on what you care about. i bought reps once and had to have 2 rows of weights on one side just to get it in balance. there are a lot of things outside of performance and strength that are affected, especially ride comfort and road noise.

Johnstephard250

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 18" Alzor 620's that have been on the car for 5000 miles. I will not be buying another set. IMO, wheels just can't be that cheap new and shipped while still having some good quality. I drive very carefully having driven lowered cars for a long time and one of them already bent on the inner part of the barrel. I did not even hit a big bump or anything.

The finish on the same wheel that bend does not look as good and I had to grind down the paint on the inner part of the hub where the center cap goes to get the center cap that comes with it to fit so I think they sent me a re manufactured one.

Yikes, that sounds no good. I just ended up saying no to the trade. Maybe one day I'll get real VMRs...

it really depends on what you care about. i bought reps once and had to have 2 rows of weights on one side just to get it in balance. there are a lot of things outside of performance and strength that are affected, especially ride comfort and road noise.

Yea, although isn't road noise more affected by the tire, not the rim?

nickp1

Ready to race!

Could be the tire that is unbalanced also. Although you couldnt tell unless you had the tire shop spin the rim alone.

nickp1

Ready to race!

I also had alzors at one point. I had the peeler reps. The paint started peeling in less than a year (granted I used them in the winter in pittsburgh). ECS tried telling me that my tire shop caused the damage on the balancer. I then sent them back (1yr warranty) and got F1R wheels... I now have Enkei TS10s (going on once winter subsides).

Moral of the story is dont cheap out on wheels. Get quality the first time so in the long run you spend less money and are happy.

Philimon

Ready to race!
You can buy cheap wheels and have them be sturdy. Just depends on the design, right? Steel wheels will last forever. I've had oem wheels bend on previous cars, and then switch to cheap and very lightweight after markets that have lasted longer without issue. Also, the size? The 18" Detroits are heavy as phuck for a reason. Maybe at 18" with thin tires you need something forged to get very lightweight and durable.

Tirerack's test found that a golf performs at max on a 17" wheel and didn't find any benefit to 18". The mkv/vi was originally designed for 17". Larger wheels and tires cost more. The thinner tire means more punishing ride and more stress on the wheels (durability).

Niche vs Alzor. I don't like either and don't think they are better looking than oem. And + sizing doesn't automatically mean better looking. IMO most times it looks worse, especially when you're not lowered.

Johnstephard250

Passed Driver's Ed
Niche vs Alzor. I don't like either and don't think they are better looking than oem. And + sizing doesn't automatically mean better looking. IMO most times it looks worse, especially when you're not lowered.

lol what aftermarket wheel would you even want? Do you really like OEM better than all the options out there?
And I feel like especially without lowering 17s look bad. They look too small imo.

Philimon

Ready to race!
lol what aftermarket wheel would you even want? Do you really like OEM better than all the options out there?
And I feel like especially without lowering 17s look bad. They look too small imo.

1. Something well fitting at 17" and hard and light and fast and only when equipped with slick rubber.

2. I only like OEM better than all the stylish options out there.

3. Yes. Going smaller always looks better when not lowered. Generally you get a smaller tire&wheel overall diameter that actually lowers the car itself which is a better look than clown shoes and stilts.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
a smaller wheel and tire makes it look bad. if it's enough to lower the car, it increases your wheel gap. if you increase the tire to match then it looks worse regardless. a 45+ sidewall ratio is a no-go. might as well just run 16s.

Johnstephard250

Passed Driver's Ed
lol this thread doesn't matter anymore. Someone was willing to trade his VMR V710s with Michelin SuperSports 235/40/18 for my rims + $100 because he was parting out. Way better than alzors haha. Now to deal with rubbing...

Roctre

Ready to race!
lol this thread doesn't matter anymore. Someone was willing to trade his VMR V710s with Michelin SuperSports 235/40/18 for my rims + $100 because he was parting out. Way better than alzors haha. Now to deal with rubbing...
If they are 18x8 with +45 offset you shouldn't rub and if you do just do the fender screw mod

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just about every wheel out there are considered REPs unless you're talking about CCW, SSR, or other wheel manufacturers. Yes, VMR are reps as well.