GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poll: Warranty Claims when ECU Flashed (TD1 flagged)

Has your tune caused denial of repair work on an issue that should have been covered?

• Yes, those bastids!

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • No, I am a golden God!

Votes: 47 87.0%

• Total voters

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I had my car flashed with APR Stage I at Winn VW (Newark, CA) as part of the deal. They are since have ceased being an APR dealer, however I've had three warranty related items done and none of the were denied; I should also mention that I was heavily modded (stage II) at the time of these failures:

* Bad o2 sensor
* Bad water pump
* Warped rear plastic trim on the inside of the rear hatch.

A couple of the service advisors there are actual car guys and not pencil pushers. They understand cars, they understand which components have failed and whether they are affected by mods or not so perhaps that played a role in getting my issues covered.

Now I am out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty so...here's to hoping nothing else fails :D

EMSGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Two water pumps, some driver side exterior molding and malfunctioning airbag sensor all replaced under warranty with my current mods listed below. At 40K miles and they've also done all my regular maintenance. They've known about my mods since day one and have had zero problems. Moreno Valley VW moss brothers. Service rep Tony is also an enthusiast.

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I had my car flashed with APR Stage I at Winn VW (Newark, CA) as part of the deal. They are since have ceased being an APR dealer, however I've had three warranty related items done and none of the were denied; ...... :D

Added

Two water pumps, some driver side exterior molding and malfunctioning airbag sensor all replaced under warranty with my current mods listed below. At 40K miles and they've also done all my regular maintenance. They've known about my mods since day one and have had zero problems. Moreno Valley VW moss brothers. Service rep Tony is also an enthusiast.

Added

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I had my clutch replaced under warranty on my 2013 GTI that was APR stage 1 at Chaplin VW in Bellevue WA.

Wow, good for you! Was it slipping, or was it a definitive defective part?
Big question...did the stock replacement clutch hold Stage 1 power? Did you take it any further?

zrickety

The Fixer
Carl Gregory VW in Columbus, GA is mod friendly. They replaced my intake manifold and tried to sell me a stage 3 car with full warranty.

BDTuning

Ready to race!
Hewlett VW Georgetown TX Is very mod friendly.

Charles Maud Austin TX Not mod friendly
Onion Creek Austin TX Not mod friendly

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Carl Gregory VW in Columbus, GA is mod friendly. They replaced my intake manifold and tried to sell me a stage 3 car with full warranty.

Hewlett VW Georgetown TX Is very mod friendly.

Charles Maud Austin TX Not mod friendly
Onion Creek Austin TX Not mod friendly

Added

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Vw of South Charlotte in Charlotte NC is mod friendly :thumbsup:

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
Please post your experiences here. If you are so inclined, name the dealer so that I can add them to the friendly/unfriendly list. If you have questions about Warranty coverage, please read the, most excellent, link at the bottom of the post.

Dealer Lists

Mod Friendly..............,,,.................................Tight A$$ES

Oakland VW, Oakland CA ........................////..Bachman VW in Louisville, KY
Kerry VW, Florence, KY (Cincinnati, OH)..........Charles Maud Austin TX
Niello VW, Sacramento CA.......................////..Onion Creek Austin TX
Chaplin VW, Bellevue WA
Winn VW (Newark, CA)
Moss Bros VW Moreno Valley CA
Carl Gregory VW; Columbus, GA
Hewlett VW Georgetown TX
Vw of South Charlotte, NC

CLICK>>>Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

by DBESTGTI , with thanks

Galpin VW in San Fernando in Ca is mod friendly, they sponsored fastivus

Family VW in Bakersfield CA is no good

phant0m

Ready to race!
Mod Friendly: Riverhead Bay VW, Riverhead NY (APR Motorsports partnered - they did my tune)

Not so friendly: Smithtown VW, Smithtown NY (*I havent had issues there because I never went for warranty work, but have heard other locals complaining)

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Mod Friendly:
Coastal Volkswagen - Hanover, MA
Wellesley Volkswagen - Wellesley, MA (Did warranty water pump replacement twice and they knew engine was tuned)

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Vw of South Charlotte in Charlotte NC is mod friendly :thumbsup:

Galpin VW in San Fernando in Ca is mod friendly, they sponsored fastivus

Family VW in Bakersfield CA is no good

Mod Friendly: Riverhead Bay VW, Riverhead NY (APR Motorsports partnered - they did my tune)

Not so friendly: Smithtown VW, Smithtown NY (*I havent had issues there because I never went for warranty work, but have heard other locals complaining)

Mod Friendly:
Coastal Volkswagen - Hanover, MA
Wellesley Volkswagen - Wellesley, MA (Did warranty water pump replacement twice and they knew engine was tuned)

Added...keep 'em comin' folks, the list is really shaping up....

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Wow, good for you! Was it slipping, or was it a definitive defective part?
Big question...did the stock replacement clutch hold Stage 1 power? Did you take it any further?

It was an obvious manufacturer's defect, the only issue that I experienced before it's failure was that the clutch pedal felt like it had stuck to the floor for a split second during a WOT shift. When it did finally fail, it FAILED, I couldn't engage 1st or 2nd gear. There was no slippage prior to it's failure.

The replacement clutch held up to stage 2 and very hard driving for about 10,000 miles when I sold her. One of the factors of me selling that car was that I didn't trust the stock clutch to last forever, and I had no desire to upgrade to an aftermarket unit as they tend to be noisy and harsh in my experience.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
Autonation VW in Richardson TX can be considered mod friendly. They had no issues replacing intake manifold under extended part warranty on APR stage 1+ GTI.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
VW of Linden, NJ actually encourages mods, lol. They'll do the mod installs for you and offer discounts and whatnot.

I'd also like to add, Trend VW in Rockaway, NJ where I bought this car did do a waterpump replacement for me even though I was tuned. I never mentioned anything about the tune and I don't know if they went out of their way to find out.

Last edited: