GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible 2 change rear fog to additional reverse light?

ModdedUp

Hoping someone can help......I've searched forum and looked via vagcom and can't seem to find anything that would answer my question. :confused:

I bought OEM LED tails with rear fog (i already had the euro switch) and now really wish I bought version with reverse.....we rarely get fog in Oz and single reverse too dull....can't see anything!

I can buy brighter LED bulbs which I've seen recommendations for in another thread, but would still ideally like to swap fog bulb out to enable an additional reverse and recode via vagcom.

Anyone done this/know if this is possible, and if so how? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Tecni

Ready to race!
Huh? is this why one of my reverse lights doesn't work? lol

speed4568

Ready to race!
Hoping someone can help......I've searched forum and looked via vagcom and can't seem to find anything that would answer my question. :confused:

I bought OEM LED tails with rear fog (i already had the euro switch) and now really wish I bought version with reverse.....we rarely get fog in Oz and single reverse too dull....can't see anything!

I can buy brighter LED bulbs which I've seen recommendations for in another thread, but would still ideally like to swap fog bulb out to enable an additional reverse and recode via vagcom.

Anyone done this/know if this is possible, and if so how? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

You can just buy the inner left tail

ModdedUp

Does australia require a rear fog light by law - like the Europe?
Check that out first.

Not that I'm aware of......just did a quick search and nothing came up to suggest needed by law.

Thanks for your replies guys......anyone else got any suggestions. :confused:

Uberryan

Banned
From what I've read, the rear fog isn't a removable bulb... at least not easily, as it's a bright LED soldered onto the board, without an access panel to it. You are pretty much stuck looking for a replacement housing. You can pull out the light with the rear fog and compare it to the regular reverse light. You'll see what I mean. The reverse bulb is clearly a halogen that can be removed and replaced. I think they expect zero failures practically on the rear fog as it has no such way of easy replacement.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Agreed^ you may have to just own up and spend the extra 75 bucks or whatever it is for the inner tail

ModdedUp

From what I've read, the rear fog isn't a removable bulb... at least not easily, as it's a bright LED soldered onto the board, without an access panel to it. You are pretty much stuck looking for a replacement housing. You can pull out the light with the rear fog and compare it to the regular reverse light. You'll see what I mean. The reverse bulb is clearly a halogen that can be removed and replaced. I think they expect zero failures practically on the rear fog as it has no such way of easy replacement.

Ok thanks, if that's the case I won't be trying to modify it! If I was to purchase the replacement housing, do u know where is most cost effective to source? Most places seem to only offer sets and I have to buy most of my stuff overseas.......Australia is hopeless or way over Priced! :mad:

Would I need to vagcom/alter wiring to make second reverse work? Not sure if euro switch and kufatec adaptors will cause issues! Sorry for all the questions! :)

ModdedUp

Agreed^ you may have to just own up and spend the extra 75 bucks or whatever it is for the inner tail

Yeah starting to look that way! If no issues with wiring/adaptors and can sort via vagcom...... and can find somewhere that can supply at sensible cost, think I'll do it.

Man I should have just thought about it properly before I bought the tails!:iono:

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Lol I feel your pain man although I must say I love the rear fog think it looks nice and it's different ya know...I'm ordering min soon

ModdedUp

Lol I feel your pain man although I must say I love the rear fog think it looks nice and it's different ya know...I'm ordering min soon

Yeah agree, I actually don't mind the fog to much but the single reverse sh*ts me! Can't see diddly with it!

You won't be disappointed with the LED tails, completely change the rear for the better IMO! :happyanim:

Uberryan

Banned
If your car was stock with dual rear reverse lights, then you shouldn't have to vagcom anything from stock programming. The harnesses just prevent cold diag from running, or act as a resistor rather. I don't think they function as dongles to code in anything, as from what I've been told, you still have to vag on the rear fog. If you've done this, reverse the coding, and remove the trigger wire in the euro switch once you've installed the new fog-less housing.

As far as a source, notice I said locate. I have no idea where you would pick one of those up besides from ebay.de or ebay.uk where you can grab the opposite side tail from a wrecked car. As you stated though, you live in Aus, nothing is cheap...

ModdedUp

If your car was stock with dual rear reverse lights, then you shouldn't have to vagcom anything from stock programming. The harnesses just prevent cold diag from running, or act as a resistor rather. I don't think they function as dongles to code in anything, as from what I've been told, you still have to vag on the rear fog. If you've done this, reverse the coding, and remove the trigger wire in the euro switch once you've installed the new fog-less housing.

As far as a source, notice I said locate. I have no idea where you would pick one of those up besides from ebay.de or ebay.uk where you can grab the opposite side tail from a wrecked car. As you stated though, you live in Aus, nothing is cheap...

Thanks FocalPoint, really appreciate your input. Unfortunately mine wasn't stock with two reverse lights, so it sounds like it will be a fair degree of ballsing around to make it happen, not to mention probably costly (when u consider all it is that I am trying to achieve).......I think I'll just have to live without it! :)

Last edited: