GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA/Rant: Tracking your car

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
i need to rant a bit about tracking cars
so this past weekend was Fastivus in SoCal.
even takes place are Willow Springs, and there are track days in which VW drivers get a special discount to track their cars.

I heard this phrase over 100 times just walking around between my sessions

"I would track but my car isnt fast"

it sort of pissed me off after a while
You dont need to be fast to go around a track. You dont need to be a good drivers to do a track day.
The whole point of a track day is to learn to drive your car. It's to learn the limits of your car. Learn the correct way of taking a corner hard. It's a learning experience, not a competition. I cant even count the number of drivers i saw taking horrible driving lines.. and i was in that crowd as well.
People need to get the idea out of their head that you need a fast car to track.
you dont.
there was a mk2 golf tracking in my group. no turbo. no supercharger. N/A 2.0 makes maybe 130hp.
we had tdi's tracking. they are not fast. torquey yes, which is actually a good thing around a track.

stock gti's went around the track
you can drive a slow car and pull off better track times than the faster counterpart.
there was a big turbo golf r, a ttrs, a gli and a b5 a4 that pulled better lap times than a GTR on slicks.
none of them had more than 420hp(ttrs).
3/4 of the guys that ran better times than the GTR werent even on racing tires

driver mod>car mods
and how do you get the driver mod? by driving your slow ass car around the track and improving your times.

/rant

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You dont need to be fast to go around a track. You dont need to be a good drivers to do a track day.
The whole point of a track day is to learn to drive your car. It's to learn the limits of your car. Learn the correct way of taking a corner hard. It's a learning experience,not a competition...

Sounds like loser talk to me

I kid I kid

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
driver mod>car mods
and how do you get the driver mod? by driving your slow ass car around the track and improving your times.

:clap:

I honestly think the "slow car" excuse is one for people too afraid to get out on the track OR used to justify buying unnecessary mods. I can't count the number of threads I've seen from people regarding "track prep" or what needs to be done to the car before tracking. The answer: nothing. Make sure it's safe (good tires, fresh fluid if it's old, decent meat on the pads), and get out and learn. Most people are intimidated or afraid, and it's ridiculous.

This whole fastivus thing began after I left California. It's a bummer, I would have been out hooning the crap out of my GTI when I had it. Many people don't know how good they have it, WS track days are usually rather expensive.

emk6

Ready to race!
were you in the white group? I have a vid up on the racing section.

Granted I wasn't very fast I took corners like snail, slowly adjusted as I went but I did have fun. my goal that day was kind of push the car and myself to a limit I felt comfortable and be able to drive home with the car.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
yea i was in the white group. i was the white golf with the blue tape on the front.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
a lot of the same crowd mentioned also wont track their vw b/c they are fwd and fwd is omgz the slowz and would rather wait for rwd lol

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
a lot of the same crowd will never own a rwd car because the vortex bug hit them so hard

Merkle

Banned
Best cheap track car: 120hp on a good day.

James May approach:

Slow car with skinny tires is more at the limit more of the time, and thus more fun.

Everyone is afraid of going out there and looking like a fool and being slower than everyone else. I get that, I'm usually one of the slower ones at the autocross, I get frustrated, I'm human, but I'm faster now than when I started, and that's what important.

Seat time = Best mod for your car

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Well said, OP. I get that from people ALL the time.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I came here for a good surveillance/privacy cluster fuck and I get a discussion about cars?!?!

Wtf OT?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

KWISS is right, doe.