GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Serpentine Belts on 2013 2.5L

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanted to replace them when I bought the car, but saw how tight of a space it is, and figured I would just replace them when something else down there needed replacing. The belt looks good, but was squeeling a tiny bit yesterday when warming up.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to replace them? I can't seem to find any walk-throughs or diagrams for the mk6 2.5l. My other car, doing the belt was a major pain, would not recommend.

Do I have to take off the wheel, liner, get underneath the car (for part of it)? Do I need any special tools?

Also, I'm looking at autozone, and they have the duralast belts, some listed for CBTA or CBUA. But then they have the continental brand belts, but those don't have the CBTA or CBUA listed. If I go on Advanceauto.com, I put in the CBTA and CBUA, the same belt part #s come up, do they use the same belts?

I'm looking on ECStuning, and they sell the belts with the tensioners, is it required/recommended to change those out with the belts? Also, they use the Conti Tech brand belts, those seem really cheap, are they any good? For some reason the accessory kit shows up that it fits, but when I click on the belts that come with it, it says they don't fit. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/accessory-belt-kit/07k903315tkt1/

Wascally Wabbit1

Go Kart Newbie
I wanted to replace them when I bought the car, but saw how tight of a space it is, and figured I would just replace them when something else down there needed replacing. The belt looks good, but was squeeling a tiny bit yesterday when warming up.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to replace them? I can't seem to find any walk-throughs or diagrams for the mk6 2.5l. My other car, doing the belt was a major pain, would not recommend.

Do I have to take off the wheel, liner, get underneath the car (for part of it)? Do I need any special tools?

Also, I'm looking at autozone, and they have the duralast belts, some listed for CBTA or CBUA. But then they have the continental brand belts, but those don't have the CBTA or CBUA listed. If I go on Advanceauto.com, I put in the CBTA and CBUA, the same belt part #s come up, do they use the same belts?

I'm looking on ECStuning, and they sell the belts with the tensioners, is it required/recommended to change those out with the belts? Also, they use the Conti Tech brand belts, those seem really cheap, are they any good? For some reason the accessory kit shows up that it fits, but when I click on the belts that come with it, it says they don't fit. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/accessory-belt-kit/07k903315tkt1/
I've never done it but looked into it when I was planning on changing pulleys. My understanding is yes you have to remove the wheel and liner and I have read it can be a PITA. I have heard people say it was easy and others not.

I would image both the CBTA and CBUA use the same belts. I can't think of a difference that would affect the belts, but I could be wrong. The ContiTech belts are continental brand belts so I imagine they are good belts. I use conti on my bikes, motorcycles and car. They are a solid brand. I would personally go with continental over duralast.
Other folks on here have done the job and will chime in eventually on the specifics.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never done it but looked into it when I was planning on changing pulleys. My understanding is yes you have to remove the wheel and liner and I have read it can be a PITA. I have heard people say it was easy and others not.

I would image both the CBTA and CBUA use the same belts. I can't think of a difference that would affect the belts, but I could be wrong. The ContiTech belts are continental brand belts so I imagine they are good belts. I use conti on my bikes, motorcycles and car. They are a solid brand. I would personally go with continental over duralast.
Other folks on here have done the job and will chime in eventually on the specifics.
Yeah, I have seen the procedure on mk5s, or GTIs, and it doesnt look too terribly difficult. I am mostly worried about accessing everything down there, but it seems like there is enough space. My other car, there is a hole in the wheel well barely big enough for a 15mm socket, and you have to get in through there to loosen the tensioner.

And yeah, definitely looking at the continental over duralast. I can also get the wheels and bearings for about $30 each, instead of replacing the entire tensioner.