GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quick release steering wheel

wtbcody

Ready to race!
I've been tossing around the idea for a while, but never took it seriously. Recently, I decided to just go with it. Always wanted to be the cool kid on campus that carries his steering wheel :cool: No but seriously, I just dont find the stock steering wheel all to appealing anymore. The leather is shiny and from my family driving it there is scratches/scuffs everywhere that just piss me off. I know I'll lose some good features (radio control, horn, airbag) But a new steering wheel is expensive, so why not change it up?

So does anyone have any info on doing this swap? Wheel choices are plentiful but the hub is rather scarce. Links would be greatly appreciated.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
You'll spend just as much money on a quality steering wheel and quick release hub as you will a new MFSW.

If you're going to do an aftermarket wheel and hub, don't be cheap.

wtbcody

Ready to race!
You'll spend just as much money on a quality steering wheel and quick release hub as you will a new MFSW.

If you're going to do an aftermarket wheel and hub, don't be cheap.

Oh I know, wasnt planning on going the ebay route. The problem isnt a cheap wheel though, its a hub. Google turned up nothing and a quick search here didnt show anything.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
You'll need a steering wheel hub adapter (what you buy depends on the quick release/wheel combo you're running), quick release hub, and a steering wheel. NGP Racing sells the hub adapter. NRG products are pretty good.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
This is one of the best threads ever...

Quick release= no airbag.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
NRG hubs are no good on our cars.. there have been rumors of electrical issues such as traction control being shut off permanently, also the air bag light will be on... from what i've read up on the only way to make everything work properly is with a momo hub, and you put whatever wheel you want on it.

wtbcody

Ready to race!
This is one of the best threads ever...

Quick release= no airbag.

I know, right? But in all seriousness, thanks for the advice guys and I'll message the guy on IG. Hopefully I can get everything else I need to know from him:thumbsup:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
NRG hubs are no good on our cars.. there have been rumors of electrical issues such as traction control being shut off permanently, also the air bag light will be on... from what i've read up on the only way to make everything work properly is with a momo hub, and you put whatever wheel you want on it.

haven't heard anything about traction control issues, but I know you need to code out the airbag light using vagcom.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Sort of on topic, is there a way to space out the factory steering wheel? I'd like it to telescope out further.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
It already has telescope in and out. You want it further?

Yep. i'm 6'4 and i like the steering wheel close for track/autox stuff. I used to have a track car and i dialed the seating position in perfectly. It makes a huge difference.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
nrg makes some good release hubs for sparco wheels. it can get spendy cuz you got to buy a quality wheel and then the mounting hub and then the shorty release hub.