GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R8 Coil packs - does buying cheap mean inferior?

i30ris

Hey all, I've seen that everyone is changing out their OEM coil packs for the R8 variants, I've got no problem with mine other than I like the look of the red R8 ones but my question is, they vary online from around £40 for a set to some wanting £40 per coil pack,..... is their any difference between them or is it just different sellers trying to coin in???

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
There a lot of fakes out there. I got mine a long time ago when it was easy to spot the fakes, not so easy now.

I would recommend getting the new APR ones as they have been tested to show higher power output

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Hey all, I've seen that everyone is changing out their OEM coil packs for the R8 variants, I've got no problem with mine other than I like the look of the red R8 ones but my question is, they vary online from around £40 for a set to some wanting £40 per coil pack,..... is their any difference between them or is it just different sellers trying to coin in???
If you’re not having any issues with your current coil packs, I wouldn’t sweat it. According to your signature, you’re not tuned. If you want peace of mind for any modifications down the road, I’d recommend getting a set of the APR coil packs. It’s small money to pay.

I never had an issue with the R8 red tops, but I’m always looking for anything that possibly offers a bit more, which is why I switched to the APR ones.

i30ris

Cool, I'll just wait until the exterior mods are done then and start on the engine as of then. I've got a 3" de-cat and custom 3" exhaust going on in the next month or so but will just leave the coils until the rest of the plan has come together lol

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Agree on the APR coils. In the early days everyone assumed the coils from the R8 would be better, I mean, they are on a 6 figure supercar right? Never really seen any conclusive proof showing they were a big upgrade, but the red looks cool! So tons of manufactures started making red top coils. Unless you are buying a coil listed specifically for the R8 it's almost certainly not an R8 coil. If it's a red top coil that is listed to fit the MK6......it's an aftermarket or maybe one from an OE supplier just not branded with a red top made to fit the MK6.

Considering the money of the real R8 coils and the cost of the APR coils are nearly identical I went with the ones that can prove some sort of testing and design. My own testing on my car has shown an increase from the stock style coils as well.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Agree on the APR coils. In the early days everyone assumed the coils from the R8 would be better, I mean, they are on a 6 figure supercar right? Never really seen any conclusive proof showing they were a big upgrade, but the red looks cool! So tons of manufactures started making red top coils. Unless you are buying a coil listed specifically for the R8 it's almost certainly not an R8 coil. If it's a red top coil that is listed to fit the MK6......it's an aftermarket or maybe one from an OE supplier just not branded with a red top made to fit the MK6.

Considering the money of the real R8 coils and the cost of the APR coils are nearly identical I went with the ones that can prove some sort of testing and design. My own testing on my car has shown an increase from the stock style coils as well.
What kind of increases have you seen?

Edit: Saw your data in the APR release in the golf R section.

Last edited:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
There a lot of fakes out there. I got mine a long time ago when it was easy to spot the fakes, not so easy now.

I would recommend getting the new APR ones as they have been tested to show higher power output

Agree. There was a ton more on Amazon when I looked the other day compared to a few years ago when I got mine. I would much rather get the APR ones or R8s through a reliable vendor like DAP, FCP, Urotuning, ECS, etc.

That said, I'm not sure there is really a huge difference for anyone on a stock turbo. My APR dealer straight up said not to bother when I went stage 2 but that was a few years ago.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running Bosch coils that I got from FCP. No issues/complaints.