GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RCD-510 AE Software Update

BarryT82

Go Kart Champion
Hey everybody. Thanks for the helpful info. I went to update my firmware today and brought along the tech service bulletin info and photos. At first, the update didn't show up with a VIN search, but when they searched for the specific tech service bulletin, it did. After the update, a few observations:

- took about an hour and a half to install
- bluetooth issues fixed! (volume normalized and auto-play finally stopped)
- overall snappier operation
- slightly washed-out color on screen - not crazy about this, it looks like a mistake
- my older iPod classic (2009) doesn't work very consistently now with the stereo; it now is much snappier to use with the stereo controls, whereas before it would take forever to change tracks. however, now the files only play some of the time…

Overall happy with the update. The bluetooth issues were the biggies for me, saving my iPhone battery life while letting the iPod play music. Kinda bummed about the color and the older iPod compatibility; I'll update if that changes at all. Thanks again for everyone's help!

There are actually two updates. After they update it to an AF they need to install the AF update also. Hold in the setup button for about 10 seconds and then select version info. Let me know what software version you have. If it's not the newer one I can email you the file. You need VCDS and a blank SD card to install it.

CharT99

What is the AF update and what does it fix?

I just had the update done from AE to AF 0008. The steering wheel controls seem to be less responsive than before and trying to go back a song with the "left" arrow takes multiple presses compared with AE 0016. The mono Bluetooth issue has definitely been fixed but display contrast is a bit strange now. What used to look red now seems like orange and what was black looks gray. Oh well, I guess we can't expect software to be perfect.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
The s/w update does change the display like that and make it washed out looking. It can't be set back. It's like they set it with too high a contrast. Brightness setting does not help

Nitrous1024

Ready to race!
The service rep said it would've been $200+. It's always good to have connections. ; D

For that price, you can buy a second-hand one from someone who has already done that firmware update. $200+ price tag out of warranty for a non-ECU software update does NOT make sense in my opinion.

joapaarg

If you have a clone VAS 5054A or VAS 6154, you can do it at home using ODIS engineering. I just did it at home for my retrofitted MK5 Golf a few hours ago.

Hi Nitrous, you need to have a user and password to access volkswagen servers to download it? Or with VAS+ODIS should be enough?

Thanks for your reply!

Nitrous1024

Ready to race!
Hi Nitrous, you need to have a user and password to access volkswagen servers to download it? Or with VAS+ODIS should be enough?

Thanks for your reply!
Officially, you would need a username and password to access the files.

Unofficially, I found the file in a 18 GB torrent file that had many different files. To answer your question, you would only need VCP or VAS+ODIS, or AVDI / FVDI / SVDI to flash it (assuming you have obtained the file by other means). If you PM your e-mail address, I can send you the file. Please be warned that the flashing process can take between 45 minutes to 2 hours, so keep your car running, or use a battery charger if the radio is installed in your car. I flashed mine "on the bench" (outside of the vehicle) while it was connected to an external power supply. Mine took an hour and 12 minutes to flash a small file that was less than 2MB. There was nothing shown on the radio's screen during the process. I got so nervous, that I thought I bricked it. I walked away, and left it since it is past the point of NO RETURN once the radio reboots to boot-loader mode (with a blank screen). I was happy when I eventually rebooted and I could see the new version number being reflected. There are no other visual changes other than the display looking "pale" than be fore the flash. Any MP3 filesI play still get chopped off at the end, and the cross-fading feature still ruins the beginning of some audio tracks. This update isn't worth it in my opinion. If you are using ODIS, you will have disable the feature to check hardware versions when you select the file.

fricu

Hi guys,

Hopefuly you can give me some info about this following issue.. so:

I have on a 2011 golf variant 1.6tdi, a RCD 510 C38 035 195 (no letter) and a premium bluetooth module.
Everything works except the fact that it doesn't show the track names and the steering wheel buttons won't work in bluetooth mode.
The RCD was updated with this sw: 0166.

The module was tested with another RCD 510 C38 035 195F and it displays the song name and also the steering wheel buttons work.

The question is what software should I install in order to unlock those features?

To be mentioned that for a brief moment when switching between radio and media, it showed the name screen on the display, which makes me think that the head unit can display but the sw won't let it :)
Also, when i try to find out what sw i have on the head unit, it only shows FM AM info, without version info.

Thank you in advance for any answer will come from you!

Cheers,
Victor

2stroke

The software update is out as of 2013-01-11 , but it has to be performed using SVM by the service department.
The update makes the radio a revision AF with software 0008 and fixes the mono bluetooth issue.
It also fixes the auto play issue that some versions of the software have.
TSB 91-13-03.
Can someone guide me how to check what version my RCD-510 have ?
Apparently the real TSB number is 2031136/1.
Some report difficulty finding it using the 91-13-03 number

And great that it also sorts out the really loud Bluetooth volume.
----------
Technical Service Bulletin 2031136/1 <--- You must mention this number !
91-13-03 - Update Programming RCD-510 Radio (Premium 8)
Release date: 2013-01-11

This TSB covers all 2012 and 2013 models ( except Routan, Touareg, and Jetta Hybrid. )

Old Software Part Number: 1K0.035.180. AE
New Software Part Number: 1K0.035.180. AF

Old software version number (2012): 0007, 0008, 0009, 0010, 0011, 0012, 0013, 0014, 0015, 0016
Old software version number (2013): 0007
New software version number (2012 & 2013): 0008

This update programming has been released to address the following customer complaints:

"Bluetooth audio runs in mono."
"Media player automatically starts when phone is connected to vehicle."
"Bluetooth audio level is too high."
My car is MY 2012 but it is made in December 2011
Yes because you don't have an AE or AF version radio and do not have the problems it fixes
How to know what version my radio running at the moment ?
There are actually two updates.
After they update it to an AF they need to install the AF update also.
Hold in the setup button for about 10 seconds and then select version info.
Let me know what software version you have.
If it's not the newer one I can E-mail you the file.
You need VCDS and a blank SD card to install it.
I have VCDS and SD card.
Officially, you would need a username and password to access the files.

Unofficially: I found the file in a 18 GB torrent file that had many different files.
To answer your question, you would only need VCP or VAS+ODIS, or AVDI / FVDI / SVDI to flash it (assuming you have obtained the file by other means).
If you PM your e-mail address, I can send you the file.
Please be warned that the flashing process can take between 45 minutes to 2 hours, so keep your car running, or use a battery charger if the radio is installed in your car.
I flashed mine "on the bench" (outside of the vehicle) while it was connected to an external power supply.
Mine took an hour and 12 minutes to flash a small file that was less than 2MB.
There was nothing shown on the radio's screen during the process. I got so nervous, that I thought I bricked it.
I walked away, and left it since it is past the point of NO RETURN once the radio reboots to boot-loader mode (with a blank screen).
I was happy when I eventually rebooted and I could see the new version number being reflected.
There are no other visual changes other than the display looking "pale" than be fore the flash.
Any MP3 filesI play still get chopped off at the end, and the cross-fading feature still ruins the beginning of some audio tracks.
This update isn't worth it in my opinion.
If you are using ODIS, you will have disable the feature to check hardware versions when you select the file.
Can someone help me out ?