GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Bumper Protector - Advice Needed!

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
So...

I help a friend move (nice of me I know) but as we were trying to fit a heavy shelf unit into my 2010 GTI - it rested for a second on my rear bumper now I have about a 1 inch gash in it :mad0259:(not overly deep but enough to see past the clear coat).

I don't have the funds to get the bumper repainted and repaired so I was thinking of a cosmetic quick fix - rear bumper protector. Problem is there are a lot out there - any suggestions on the best ones?

This looks like a good option...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Gjd0A6uxU

There's also this...
http://www.r-racing.co.uk/vw-golf-mk6-estate-rear-bumper-protection-guard-by-rgm-rbp443-27154-p.asp

Appreciate your feedback!!

93serprise

Ready to race!
I purchased one from amazon.com that is classified as universal and it fits perfectly. Was less than 20 bucks shipped as well.

Whatnxt

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want protection, cheap, make your own. Go to the hardware store and purchase some of the black rubber ribbed matting material used for floors in front of doors. About a 1/8 " thick. Make yourself a template out of cardboard. Align the ribs and cut it out. Do the final trim and use double sided tape to secure it down. Did this on my Golf due to scratches from the dogs, bags, etc. Don't like it, easy to remove. Cost me less than $10.00

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
If you want protection, cheap, make your own. Go to the hardware store and purchase some of the black rubber ribbed matting material used for floors in front of doors. About a 1/8 " thick. Make yourself a template out of cardboard. Align the ribs and cut it out. Do the final trim and use double sided tape to secure it down. Did this on my Golf due to scratches from the dogs, bags, etc. Don't like it, easy to remove. Cost me less than $10.00

Pic?

P_m651

Ready to race!
Note that that r-racing one seems to be for Mk6 Golf Estate, aka Jetta Sport Wagon, not for your gti.

93serprise

Ready to race!
I got mine from Amazon, Powerflow 5601 bumper protector. Worked well for me.<br/>

That is the one I bought ;)

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I never liked the look of those bumper protectors. Could you repair the scratch with Touchup paint? You could always have a tint shop install some clear bra for some protection. But better yet, don't rest anything on the bumper!

nik

Go Kart Champion
There is an OEM clear film (vinyl) available for the mk5/6 I got from eBay a few years back. Came from the uk I believe. Well worth the 50 bucks or so. Comes with the soapy solution and squeegee as well.

As well as touch ups for the gash, depending on the depth you could fill it with touch up paint and blend it in. I've done it a few times and it's hardly noticeable, other than the metallic flake not matching since my car is CSG.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
There is an OEM clear film (vinyl) available for the mk5/6 I got from eBay a few years back. Came from the uk I believe. Well worth the 50 bucks or so. Comes with the soapy solution and squeegee as well.

As well as touch ups for the gash, depending on the depth you could fill it with touch up paint and blend it in. I've done it a few times and it's hardly noticeable, other than the metallic flake not matching since my car is CSG.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

I tried the touch up option - it's too deep and still noticeable :(