GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear knuckle interchange 30mm-32mm

Torqueflite

Hey guys. I have a '13 Golf that I've changed all four wheel bearings on, but it keeps eating right rear bearings. After replacing a second one under parts warranty and it also failing in short order, I inspected closer and found the spindle is bent causing the premature bearing failures. I have the 30mm diameter spindles/bearings. My dealership wants over $500 for a new spindle/knuckle assembly. Rock Auto only wants about $50, but they only list the 32mm size.
Does anyone know if the two sizes of knuckle/spindles can be interchanged and are identical (other than the spindle diameter of course)? If yes, I'll buy the knuckle and 32mm bearing from Rock Auto and live with my rear knuckles having different sized bearing diameters, knowing that I saved $400 on the part. But I don't want to proceed with ordering if they're not identical. Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Chad
'13 Golf

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Wrecker?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
No first hand knowledge of your question about interchange but I will say this;

The OEM only lists one part, there is no "option" for a 32mm bearing spindle and a 30mm spindle.

Rock Auto doesn't list a 32mm bearing, they show only one option for a 30mm bearing........so what do they expect you to use in their 32mm spindle? lol

Ok, I did some research and NAPA shows some real information with their part. The 32mm measurement is NOT for the bearing, it is for the sway bar. So if you REALLY want to try a $60 spindle you can grab the one from RockAuto. Not saying it will fit, because who knows LOL but there is no bearing size change.

EDIT: I obviously would not recommend you get the ridiculously cheap, probably mishapen, spindle for $60. I would definitely try to find one from a recycler to save money but keep in mind this part is central to your alignment and keeping the wheel on the car.

Torqueflite

The wrecker wanted $300 for a used knuckle, and I nixed the "u pull it" wrecker option due to not being keen on pulling a knuckle in below freezing temps and a foot of snow.
So I decided to chance it and order the 32mm Rock Auto knuckle and bearing (they list several 32mm bearing options under the "bearing and hub" category along with the 30mm size). Removed the old knuckle and compared with the new Rock Auto knuckle and they are identical, other than the spindle diameter. Got it aligned afterwards and all is good.
So other than the car now having a 30mm bearing on the left rear, and a 32mm on the right, the knuckle interchanged nicely and budget friendly.

Torqueflite

I also checked the Napa link. I'm guessing Napa wrote the info incorrect and they should have said "bearing" instead of "bar". I previously found out there were the two sizes of bearings when my local parts store informed me, but I wasn't sure of which bearing/hub size I had. So I bought the 32mm size only to take it apart and find the 32mm didn't fit. So I returned the 32mm bearing and ordered in the 30mm and it bolted up.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Glad that worked out, I was looking at this real quick at work and got interrupted by a tech. LOL Yeah, 32mm bar would be pretty significant, should have caught that.

Hope you never sell it, cause I can see that mismatched and odd sized bearing giving someone fits in the future if they don't know about it. ;)

Torqueflite

For sure. It will be something I will definitely disclose as a quirk if I do sell it. Or maybe I'll just have to do a snow slide into a curb and bend the left rear and replace that knuckle as well to match them up 🙂