GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red Light Tickets Suck

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
As the title suggests, I got a red light ticket to the tune of $124.

I'm not one to typically disagree with tickets I get, if I'm guilty, I'm guilty and it sucks. This one though really seems an awful lot like a money making ploy and not really to protect the public to me. No, I didn't speed up to beat a light, I definitely stopped, my problem was that I stopped past the marked line...Yes, you're supposed to stop on the line (per RCW), and if there's not a line, you must stop before the cross walk, which I always do if someone is crossing the cross walk, but there was no one for miles around, and you cannot see to the left in that intersection unless you pull that far forward (and I have read blogs/forums that people have received tickets even after stopping at the line and then pulling forward to see further - one guy even receiving two in the same day, both times stopping at the line first the then proceeding forward).

For your viewing pleasure, here is the video the red light camera took of my car, so you can see my guilty ass stopping in the cross walk like the bad driver I am:

So anyways, I decided I'm fighting this ticket. While I don't disagree that I committed the crime, I don't feel it warrants a ticket when I have zero history of running red lights, I didn't actually do what most people do (speed up to try and beat the light), I just stopped past the line. I don't feel that is worthy of a $124 ticket, even though it doesn't count as a driving violation, because it's considered a parking violation by the city.

I did some research and found out that this cities RCW's contradict the fine amount, so my goal is to use that to my advantage.

Chapter 10.60
AUTOMATED TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT
10.60.070 Fines.
The fine for infractions committed pursuant to the provisions of this chapter shall be the same as the total penalty (base penalty plus statutory assessments) for violating RCW 46.61.050, but in no event shall the penalty exceed the amount of the highest fine assessed for parking infractions within the city. (Ord. 1747 § 2, 2011; Ord. 1737 § 3, 2010; Ord. 1629-07 § 1, 2007).

This essentially says that the total fine should be the same as RCW 46.61.050 ($42, listed below), but that shall never exceed the max penalty for parking infractions within the city ($20).

Chapter 10.24
PARKING AND LOADING
10.24.110 Violation – Penalty.
Violation of any section of this chapter shall constitute a parking infraction, subject to a monetary penalty in the maximum and default amount of $20.00, not including statutory assessments. (Ord. 1662 § 1, 2008).

RCW 46.61.050, page 3, near the bottom (just ctrl F the rcw number):
Rules of the Road
Failure to stop (RCW 46.61.050.) $42

What are your guys thoughts on this? Worth the fight?
I'm in the mindset that if they want to get people for ticky tacky items like this to make money for their city, then they should have to fight for that money.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I'd definitely fight that one; I despise these stupid cameras personally as they are not about enforcing traffic laws at all, just about income...

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
Sorry OP, you're clearly guilty.

Was there a "red light camera" sign at the intersection? In LA, i think there's a law or something about how the municipality has to stipulate that there are cameras instead of surprising you with a ticket every week.

If you really have time to kill, do some research on revenue, increased accidents due to cameras, and costs to the city from the private company that owns the cameras.

Many red light cameras in LA County were shut down after it was exposed that the cameras were costing the city more to maintain, was increasing accidents, some signals had shortened yellow lights (to increase revenue), etc etc....

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
not sure about your local jurisdiction but from the video you posted, you'll lose the fight... and probably cost yourself more money when you factor in taking off work to go to court etc.

How so? The requirement is that you stop; if he stopped, then there is no actual infraction. They can argue all day long about where he stopped; but as he didn't run the red light (the entire supposed purpose of the camera) he didn't commit the infraction they are charging him with, ie "failure to stop"

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
not sure about your local jurisdiction but from the video you posted, you'll lose the fight... and probably cost yourself more money when you factor in taking off work to go to court etc.

But that's the thing, I know I'm guilty of the violation, but the fine I received contradicts what their city code says it should be. Not to mention, all I lose is gas money, which won't equal the $104 I will save if I win.
:thumbup:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
That's shitty.

I got a ticket for taking a right turn at a red light without stopping, but I got it thrown out with a lawyer. I had other reasons for needing a lawyer lol

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
not only did you stop past the limit line, but you stopped in the crosswalk, which could be another ticket.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
How so? The requirement is that you stop; if he stopped, then there is no actual infraction. They can argue all day long about where he stopped; but as he didn't run the red light (the entire supposed purpose of the camera) he didn't commit the infraction they are charging him with, ie "failure to stop"

So the fine description is: "Failure to obey a Traffic Control Device - Red Light Photo Enforcement"
Ordinances: "RCW 46.61.050 pursuant to 48.63.170 and Fife Municipal Code Chapter 10.60 et seq."

This is the law on stopping at a light.

"(2) Except when directed to proceed by a duly authorized flagger, or a police officer, or a firefighter vested by law with authority to direct, control, or regulate traffic, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering a marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the roadway, and after having stopped shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time when such driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways."

So technically, I believe I did violate what they are charging me with, though I don't know for sure...seems pretty crappy that a red light camera is doing more than ticketing for running red lights now.

speedjunky01

Passed Driver's Ed
Fight every ticket every time. Hit your local library for how to books and your local law school will let you into their library for free most of the time. I have yet to lose a ticket foght. Key issue with the camera who is your accuser? They can't provide a person they can't prosecute per the beautiful documents written in 1776.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Good luck with the fight OP...
Don't feel too bad, here in Commifornia a red light ticket is minimum $500.00 + court fees.

m.dubb127

You would have to let the judge know that there was a reason that you stopped beyond the line..? The car behind you was close to you or speeding up to go through the yellow after you... they have you on camera and you are right...

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
not sure how this works in WA, but here in CA we have "the right to face our accuser" in court. Often times these cameras are run by companies out of state and it's a pain for them to send a representative to court. So you may just show up to court and they will throw it out????

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You say there was no one around yet that white truck was there two seconds after you stopped way in the intersection...