GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reducing wheel hop

elcroato1

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have suggestions for reducing wheel hop? I have the following mods, but I still get pretty severe hop with my slicks.

Suspension mods:
1. 034 Track density transmission and engine mounts
2. VWR subframe mount
3. Whiteline front control arm bushings
4. Audi TT rear control arm bushings
5. Powerflex track density swaybar bushings

Other mods:
APR Stage II
Wavetrac LSD

For the track I'm using Hankook Ventus Z214's. With my daily tires, BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals, I don't get hopping, just more wheel spin.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
You have everything about covered. The only other parts they may help slightly are stiffer strut mounts like 034 or camber plates and Tyrol collars.

Are you on stock springs and dampers?

The problem is your sticky tires. I get hop with my PSS's

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Anyone have suggestions for reducing wheel hop? I have the following mods, but I still get pretty severe hop with my slicks.

Suspension mods:
2. VWR subframe mount

Other mods:
APR Stage II
Wavetrac LSD

For the track I'm using Hankook Ventus Z214's. With my daily tires, BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals, I don't get hopping, just more wheel spin.

You are never gonna get rid of this on a FWD car. To much power=wheel hop. You can do all in the world to make it less worse, but it still will happen with enough grip. I just wonder why you have TT rear control arm bushings, get some WALK or superpro kit in there, that and the lower subframe mount is what eliminated it most for me. Heck i can nearly floor it in 1 first and 2 on a wet day with only some wheelspin now. I barely get wheelhop anymore, but im only road warrior, no track for me yet :eek:

elcroato1

Passed Driver's Ed
I still have stock springs and shocks. Would getting a set of springs help? For example, the VWR lowering springs? I think I will try the 034 strut mounts and maybe their dogbone as well. I just don't want to spend more money than I have too. Greasy, do you mean the Tyrol Deadset Rigid kit? I installed that when I put in my subframe mount. Doped, fair point about the FWD. I guess I can feather the throttle in the lower gears. And I put in Audi bushings because it was easy to get my hands on them. They are solid rubber too.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I still have stock springs and shocks. Would getting a set of springs help? For example, the VWR lowering springs? I think I will try the 034 strut mounts and maybe their dogbone as well. I just don't want to spend more money than I have too. Greasy, do you mean the Tyrol Deadset Rigid kit? I installed that when I put in my subframe mount. Doped, fair point about the FWD. I guess I can feather the throttle in the lower gears. And I put in Audi bushings because it was easy to get my hands on them. They are solid rubber too.

Yea springs and dampers could help

Being that you have the VWR sub frame bushing I don't think the 034 dogbone is necessary but could br worth a shot. Be prepared for an increase in NVH I have heard that dogbone is brutal

CobraKing

Ready to race!

You have a really aggressive setup as far as bushings and mounts go - I highly doubt the 034 strut mounts and dogbone will make any significant difference.

I would venture that your stock suspension is the 'weakest' link in this scenario. Aftermarket springs with the stock dampers aren't that great - look to pair them with an aftermarket damper. There are several recommendations in this forum that won't break the bank (unless money is no object).

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
I have full stock suspension on my Tiguan and used to get wheel hop really bad (I have a manual transmission so it's easy to take off to briskly).
The only mod I have is the whiteline antilift kit. I has basically cured the violent wheel hop, I can stay on the power without feeling like I'm going to brake something in the wet or dry. I'm going to do the HPA mount eventually to get rid of the motor slop but don't feel it's as necessary since I got the WALK installed.

There doesn't seem to be any downside to the anti-lift kit, I was afraid of harshness but if anything the ride is improved and has a more precise feel now. The steering feels so much better to with the caster boost.

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Suspension mods:
2. VWR subframe mount

Definitely swap the Audi TT rear control arm bushings out for an anti-lift kit. Doesn't matter superpro or whiteline. The poly bushings will help, and the the change in geometry will give you more traction too.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Suspension mods:
2. VWR subframe mount

Other mods:
APR Stage II
Wavetrac LSD

I don't have my lsd in yet and I don't have track tires yet but I don't have any hop at all anymore. Took it too the track and pushed it as hard out of the corner as I could. Lacking full traction but not a hint of hop.

Bilstein Sports (MK6 ver)
ST upper strut mounts
Eibach Sportline Springs
Eibach Sway bars - solid - soft front setting/hard setting in rear
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Whitline Rear Trailing arm - front bushing
Whiteline Front Control arm - lower inner front bushing
TyrolSport Deadset subframe kit

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Sticky Tires will add wheelhop. LSD adds even more.

I've fought this issue forever. The only way to make is LESS is upgrading the engine and trans mounts. The very stiff mounts will probably eliminate most of it, such as BFI stage 2, BSH, VF, SPM. BUT, the vibrations are just ridiculous.

I run an HPA Subframe insert and the BFI stage 1 FULL mounts on both sides and it has been dramatically reduced, but some if still there.

Last winter I removed my 034 mounts and just left in the HPA insert and with snow tires and the LSD I had no wheelhop. As soon as I put my summer tires back on the wheelhop was insane. Upgraded to the BFI Stage 1 Engine Mount and the trans insert and it was lessened. Upgraded to the full trans mount and it got significantly better.

Tyrol Collars do nothing for this (have them). Anti-Lift Kits do nothing for this (have them). Upgraded strut mounts do nothing for this (have them). The engine and trans mounts are the only things that help.

Ninja Edit: Back when I had all seasons (both stock and 2 other sets) I had no problems just using an insert. The sticky tires made it incredibly worse.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
best thing to do to reduce wheel hop is to buy a golf R

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
best thing to do to reduce wheel hop is to buy a golf R