GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relay help in relation to rear wiper and cigarette lighter (sort of)

Elliott19

Hi,
would anyone know which each of the below relays control? Struggling to find anything online.

This is on my 2010 MK6 Golf R.

The issue I'm trying to resolve is my 12v cigarette lighter and rear wiper not working. There is no power getting to fuses 41 & 42 (fuse box on drivers side). Nothing wrong with the fuses, but just no power getting to them.

Ended up popping it into a local auto electricians, who still couldn't fix the problem, but they were able to get the wiper and cigarette lighter working when removing the far right relay labelled 645, but this resulted in to dash/ignition lights, so he didn't go any further and put it back in.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I've also noticed that the far right relay gets very hot, whereas the others don't.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

1639731725155.png

plip1953

So, as far I know, the green 70amp load 644 relay is exclusively dedicated to the cigarette lighter and rear wiper motor. It gets power from a 50 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box (no 52) and once the relay is activated it then feeds power via fuses 41 and 42 in the fusebox in the driver's side door jam. The most right hand black 40amp load relay (645) controls power to the main circuits (with the key in position 2). I think the next 645 relay along from the right is for the starter, but not sure about the others (maybe heated rear window and fuel pump?).

When the key is in position 2 (ie ignition on and dash lights illuminated) both the 644 and right hand 645 relays should receive power to activate their respective relay coils. Have you checked that this is what happens? Maybe 644 is faulty and simply needs to be replaced? Also, if the right hand 645 is getting very hot I wonder if this might be failing too? Maybe you could swap over a couple of the 645s and see if that makes any difference?

I hope that helps a bit :)