GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replaced intake manifold with latest revision and carbon clean

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Haha, no it doesnt.

Unless you are driving 30+ minutes sustained highway driving in 3rd gear so the RPMs never go below 3500, which im 99% sure you dont do every time you drive it.

Also everyone else is right, that is an abnormal amount of carbon build up. I have never seen one of these motors with such bad build up. Forget mileage. I have never seen it that bad PERIOD. Ive seen TSI motors with 3x your miles and the build up isnt half as bad. It probably is from idling in your driveway. There is almost nothing worse you can do to these cars than just sit and idle in the cold for minutes on end. This isnt the 1970s, when you turn your car on you just drive it.

Yeah, I get it. Again, the only times it's ever sat idling is during a snow storm and it's just being moved out of the drive way to have it cleared. In my 911 and GTI, under any other circumstance, I get in, start it, wait for revs to drop and I'm on my way.

Move on already.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Move on already.
The only thing interesting about this thread is the amount of abnormal build up you have for the miles so, no, I will not move on.

I wanna know what caused this horrendous carbon. My initial hypothesis was the idling but you say no to that so let's figure out what else it could be.

Did you use any injector cleaners in the cars life?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
The only thing interesting about this thread is the amount of abnormal build up you have for the miles so, no, I will not move on.

I wanna know what caused this horrendous carbon. My initial hypothesis was the idling but you say no to that so let's figure out what else it could be.

Did you use any injector cleaners in the cars life?

Sorry, the Move On was targeted at everyone. :)

I maybe used Techron twice in the 10+ years I've owned it. Other than that, nothing but filling with either Sunoco 93 or Shell V-Power and Motul oil used in oil changes. Again, it did idle for 20-30 minutes at a time during bad snow storms that required a snow blower or plow for our driveway. Other than that, I just get in it and drive and don't get into boost and keep it under 4K rpms until it's up to temp.

I honestly don't know what else would cause it. I'm not sure if the pics make it look worse than it was as my shop said it was worth doing, but not the worst they've seen.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I honestly don't know what else would cause it. I'm not sure if the pics make it look worse than it was as my shop said it was worth doing, but not the worst they've seen.

I dunno man, I recoiled from my screen in horror looking at those pics. LOL

And I didn't see an answer to my question before. Your signature states using WMI, is that new or was it in use prior to the cleaning and for how long?? An additional question would be if it was used prior to the cleaning, what are you running through it? 50/50, boost juice, a nitro-meth mix, some other mix of chemicals?

I'm with Joe_Mama, I want to know what caused this, not only so I can avoid it but just damn curious.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I dunno man, I recoiled from my screen in horror looking at those pics. LOL

And I didn't see an answer to my question before. Your signature states using WMI, is that new or was it in use prior to the cleaning and for how long?? An additional question would be if it was used prior to the cleaning, what are you running through it? 50/50, boost juice, a nitro-meth mix, some other mix of chemicals?

I'm with Joe_Mama, I want to know what caused this, not only so I can avoid it but just damn curious.

I've had 2 different WMI systems installed over the past 5 or 6 years. I use Boost Juice, exclusively.

Who knows, some cars are factory freaks out of the factory with performance. Maybe mine is a factory freak, but with carbon build up, instead.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
What ? That's with w/m? Something is wrong here

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

Don't know what to tell you. Speculate all you like. It's not your car, so you have nothing to worry about.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

That's what is puzzling me!!!

Don't know what to tell you. Speculate all you like. It's not your car, so you have nothing to worry about.

Dude, we're just interested in a mystery. LOL Who knows we might have to worry about it, no idea why it is happening. ;)

Now, when you say you use Boost Juice........it's not THIS right? :ROFLMAO:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Maybe there are some additives in the mix you're using that are causing more carbon to stick on the valves. @jay745 runs w/m he knows more

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Now, when you say you use Boost Juice........it's not THIS right? :ROFLMAO:

Oh shit, I'm not supposed to be using that stuff?!?!? BWHAHAHAHA!!'

No, just the Snow Performance 49/51 jugs. 😊

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Maybe there are some additives in the mix you're using that are causing more carbon to stick on the valves. @jay745 runs w/m he knows more

Possibly, but really can't imagine that as I think it would be pulled off the shelves if it caused this type of issue. Adding to the problem, rather than helping to prevent it.