GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Requesting opinions/experiences - Those with downpipes

idek

Hey all,

So ever since I've had my High Flow 200CELL Downpipe installed (custom) on my 6R, it's been bothering me with the smell.

I primarily notice it when it's a cold start & stop at the lights with windows cracked down (mainly hints, but not drastic).

Now I keep the car in a 2-car space garage and with cold starts - the car basically fills the entire garage with the petrol-like/fume/exhaust smell - you'd 100% notice it walking around unless you're deliberately covering your mouth/nose. (garage door opened always). Once or two there's actually been little to no cold start smell, but 90% of time; you notice it.

Now i've seen various opinions online - some say they smell 'nothing' like stock but some also say they smell very little etc. So i'm not really sure how bad mine is.

As a result, the cold starts annoy me especially when I walk around/to the car whilst it's warming up/idle. Or even when other people are in proximity to the car.

This could be normal as it's 200 vs factory count, but as a solution I was also considering swapping to some branded downpipes like CTS (if they'd be more effective in cutting smell) to tone it down, so thought i'd get opinions on what everyone's opinion/personal experiences are.

Cheers in advance :)

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Be glad you have a cat installed. Swapping to another brand sounds crazy to me. Even a factory catted car can smell more during cold start bc more fuel is being injected into the engine.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Sounds pretty normal.

200 Cell is 200 cell I don’t think it’s worth it to swap. If you really don’t like the smell put in an OEM or see if you can find a higher cell one.

I have a CTS downpipe and can smell it with cold starts and can get wiffs at idle. I love the smell tho

Thumper

Autocross Champion
As it's been said, why would another brands 200 cell be any different?

That smell is the smell of freedom, enjoy it. Freedom and power. :D

torga

Autocross Champion
My APR DP has a GESI 400-cell. I never smell anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can't buy these anymore, though. APR got the EPA whip.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hey all,

So ever since I've had my High Flow 200CELL Downpipe installed (custom) on my 6R, it's been bothering me with the smell.

I primarily notice it when it's a cold start & stop at the lights with windows cracked down (mainly hints, but not drastic).

Now I keep the car in a 2-car space garage and with cold starts - the car basically fills the entire garage with the petrol-like/fume/exhaust smell - you'd 100% notice it walking around unless you're deliberately covering your mouth/nose. (garage door opened always). Once or two there's actually been little to no cold start smell, but 90% of time; you notice it.

Now i've seen various opinions online - some say they smell 'nothing' like stock but some also say they smell very little etc. So i'm not really sure how bad mine is.

As a result, the cold starts annoy me especially when I walk around/to the car whilst it's warming up/idle. Or even when other people are in proximity to the car.

This could be normal as it's 200 vs factory count, but as a solution I was also considering swapping to some branded downpipes like CTS (if they'd be more effective in cutting smell) to tone it down, so thought i'd get opinions on what everyone's opinion/personal experiences are.

Cheers in advance :)

I think what you describe sounds fairly normal for big downpipe with a mostly straight through low cell count inexpensive cat. Its gonna smell when its cold and probably a bit even when it reaches operating temp. Unlikely, because you didn't mention any extra noise but you could check for a leak at the turbo to downpipe connection (exhaust coming out and not going through cat) and make sure it is torqued to spec and the gasket is intact.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I have the Milltek with HJS 200 cell and I get the same with cold starts. That's just life with a higher flow catalyst.