GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Restoring" My Suspension

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
My car is getting on in miles (85K) and has developed quite a bit of flex in the suspension. It rides fine but just seems to be getting a bit arthritic.
For example when I come to a stop the body seems to shift & make a squeak/creak noise when the weight settles to the rear.
What are some suggestions to get my car back to the nice, quiet, smooth feeling it had in its younger years and lower miles?
My mechanic told me its rust build up on the brakes and didn't find anything loose but that can't explain the play.
Are there wear items that typically require replacing around 75-100K mark?

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Interested in the community feedback on this one. Tired suspension parts will collectively take the fun out of the car!

clownish

just clowning around
Strut mounts
tie rod ends
ball joints
struts
springs
sway bar endlinks
bushings in any control arms

all common components that might need replacing or refreshing if you want to get back that feel. probably missed some but basically anything with poly or rubber and any suspension points that move a lot. aka most of it.

zrickety

The Fixer
I like poly on the big bushings, the small ones are typically fine stock. I would get uprated TT strut mounts, etc.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Strut mounts
tie rod ends
ball joints
struts
springs
sway bar endlinks

all common components that might need replacing or refreshing if you want to get back that feel. probably missed some but basically anything with poly or rubber and any suspension points that move a lot. aka most of it.
That sounds about right. Refreshing mounts might be complementary to getting back that solid feel.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
That's for all the quick responses. Any other missed suggestions welcome!

Lupin

Ready to race!
Strut mounts
tie rod ends
ball joints
struts
springs
sway bar endlinks

+ strut bearings

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Recommended supplier of said parts?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
I'd say OEM or OEM comparable. Trying to keep the car as stockish as possible.

clownish

just clowning around
I'd say OEM or OEM comparable. Trying to keep the car as stockish as possible.

I recently did this to my mk5 r32 @130k mi. We discovered a leaking front strut and two broken rear springs. I used HS Tuning since they're local to me and Ken did a nice job of showing me which pieces we needed to replace, probably should even though currently okay, and what was fine. Replaced struts, springs, strut mount and bearings, all the hardware we touched, ball joints, rear lower control arm/bushings and some other stuff. Good prices - I would call and not look on the website as they can work on prices with you.

Totally online I'd check shopdap.com

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
This is all great advice, make sure to speak softly to your suspension, sing it to sleep some nights too. Touch it gently in all the right places.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
There many variables in the suspension like for me advice to replace some parts after 56K miles mark? however around that point, I had to replace my struts (they were shot) maybe me, because of my driving style, who knows.. However, it's safe to say that your mileage is good for a refreshment.
Things to add to the list as well, aside from struts, tie rods, rubber mounts, etc:
-Rotors & pads.
-Brake fluid.
-Engine mounts.
-Front Subframe bolts.
-Front wheel hub bearings.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Lol.
I will definitely speak softly