GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resurfacing Flywheel

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I made a thread about this in the Canada section already however I wouldn't mind finding out some more information on what you guys pay for this work outside of Canada.

I was just quoted $225 to resurface my flywheel which from what I have read is pretty high. Was just wondering if anyone has had their OEM flywheel resurfaced and what did you pay for it?

I have only heard back from one of the shops I contacted for quotes on my clutch job but this place wanted $550ish for the clutch work plus $225 for the resurfacing. Around $800 in total isn't too bad and it's a very reputable shop but I still think the resurfacing is a tad high.

Also, does anyone know for sure if the 2013 clutch is the exact same as the 2010-2012 clutch? Even sachs is hesitant to sell me their clutch kit because no one is sure if they are the same as the previous models. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
It't not really a good idea to re-surface dual mass flywheels....Few places will even attempt it... They are pretty complex and it's not like you can chuck them in a lathe to get a precise surface..There's springs and flex involved. Does your shop even know it's a dual mass??
Not sure your miles or clutch issues, but there's a high likelihood you need to do nothing to the FW....

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
^this. My flywheel with 45k miles and many, many slips was discolored but fine. There are small concentric grooves that would be really hard to replicate in addition to being a dual-mass. If it were me I wouldn't let anyone touch the FW.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have a nice DMF from a 2012 if your is bad. Pm me.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
The shop that said they would do it is a very reputable shop in my area. I'm guessing they want to charge me $225 because they know how complex it is.

My car only has 30k kms (18.6k miles) and as soon as I noticed it starting to slip I switched back to stock so I doubt it needs to be done. I had it tuned at 10k kms and it I noticed it slipping in 6th around 25k kms. Been driving it on stock mode for way too long now :( I just know that it is a good idea to get it done every time its pulled. My guess is going to be that it probably doesn't need to be done as some have said already.

It started slipping at WOT in 6th gear and it wasn't much slippage at all. I think it slipped a tiny bit in 5th but I was fine, even at wot, from 1-4. I doubt I did much damaged to it.

zrickety - I'll shoot you a PM if I need it!

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know for sure if the 2013 clutch is the exact same as the 2010-2012 clutch? Even sachs is hesitant to sell me their clutch kit because no one is sure if they are the same as the previous models. Any help is appreciated!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
$225 for resurfacing a flywheel is SUPER JACKEDUP HIGH. I had mine done (non VW) and it was around $30.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
$225 for resurfacing a flywheel is SUPER JACKEDUP HIGH. I had mine done (non VW) and it was around $30.

I just got quoted from a different shop for $125 and I don't think it will be lower than that. I think it's because of the whole DMFW issue and it being difficult to resurface. Based on what everyone is saying I have a feeling I would be just fine without resurfacing it anyways.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Did you ever get your flywheel resurfaced? How did i turn out? Did you see how they resurface it?

I'm a bit hesitant on having the flywheel resurfaced but I see several folks stating it is needed when you change out the clutch.

My concern is if by resurfacing the flywheel they bring it out of balance or not square. I assume they attach the flywheel to a brake lathe machine but I haven't a clue.

Anyone with more technical expertise able to provide some insight?

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
This is the exact reason why I went to a single mass flywheel. I won't run a flywheel that hasn't been resurfaced, and I don't trust anyone to properly resurface a DMFW. My single mass is a little noisy but i'll deal with it for a little piece of mind.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Did you ever get your flywheel resurfaced? How did i turn out? Did you see how they resurface it?

I'm a bit hesitant on having the flywheel resurfaced but I see several folks stating it is needed when you change out the clutch.

My concern is if by resurfacing the flywheel they bring it out of balance or not square. I assume they attach the flywheel to a brake lathe machine but I haven't a clue.

Anyone with more technical expertise able to provide some insight?

Just as everyone thought, the flywheel was fine. These flywheels are pretty tough and it takes a lot of abuse and slippage to damage them. They pull it out inspected it and said it was in great shape. I have 18.5k miles at the time. So far everything is working perfectly with the new clutch and I couldn't be happier. Unless you have a TON of miles on the flywheel and you were slipping it a bunch, you will be fine.

This is the exact reason why I went to a single mass flywheel. I won't run a flywheel that hasn't been resurfaced, and I don't trust anyone to properly resurface a DMFW. My single mass is a little noisy but i'll deal with it for a little piece of mind.

Zero issues running my OEM flywheel. I'm the opposite from you. I would gladly run a DMFW that was in great shape and not resurfaced to keep everything OEM feeling. My car is completely silent and I couldn't be happier.