GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retracting Brake Caliper

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a special trick with this? The rear caliper is fighting so much on actually retracting, i'm stunned. I even loosened the brake bleeder. Is it possible that it doesn't go that far in?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Is there a special trick with this? The rear caliper is fighting so much on actually retracting, i'm stunned. I even loosened the brake bleeder. Is it possible that it doesn't go that far in?
Have pics? Have you used the tool for it?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

Yea don't you have to rotate it clockwise? Or no?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
got it, stupid special tool needed to grab it and turn clockwise. haven't had this come up on any other car, jsut used the standard pad spreader

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
got it, stupid special tool needed to grab it and turn clockwise. haven't had this come up on any other car, jsut used the standard pad spreader

I think Ford used to use them, had about 2 of those tools in stock. You could use pliers but it's a PITA and probably will scratch up the piston pretty good.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I think Ford used to use them, had about 2 of those tools in stock. You could use pliers but it's a PITA and probably will scratch up the piston pretty good.

yea just picked up a kit on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GXL18WP/) and it looks like it will do the trick. i've got a long list of cars that i've done brake work on, never had this come up before.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Hopefully you didn't damage the Piston trying to force it in without spinning it.

hope not either lol used quite a bit of force before giving up.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
The rotation is how you get a parking brake.

none of my other cars, evo, mini, and e92 m3, have this rotating piston feature and they do fine with the parking brake. the evo's are brembos but the mini and the m3 are a similar bracket + caliper design.

oh well - not a huge deal, just another day's delay until the tool arrives.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Sorry I'm late to this, but most auto parts stores have that set as a rental tool. It'll be good for you to own that since you'll be set in the future, but for others who come across this thread, it's a good option.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
so i used the tool and retracted both rear calipers - on the driver's side, which i tried to compress with the pad spreader before using the proper tool, it took about 3x more force to compress the caliper than the passenger's side caliper - it still went in, but is it fucked?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
so i used the tool and retracted both rear calipers - on the driver's side, which i tried to compress with the pad spreader before using the proper tool, it took about 3x more force to compress the caliper than the passenger's side caliper - it still went in, but is it fucked?

I suppose you could have damaged the threads inside but you would have had to put A LOT of force on it using the pad spreader. If you still have it in the air you could A) Pull the brake handle and try to rotate the wheels by hand to see if driver side isn't holding as well B) Have someone apply brake pressure and do the same test.

Also, newer vehicles with electronic parking brakes work just like this. They usually have an electric motor attached to the back, and they can be set to the service position if you know the procedure. Or I have seen a couple where they use a controller and a cable operated system. Possible that you haven't encountered these before because the parking brake was either a separate small caliper, or they have a drum type or shoe setup that was inside the rotor hat. These would be attached to the knuckle and behind the wheel hub/flange. In that case the E brake is not integrated into the caliper and you only have to compress the hydraulic fluid behind the piston. :geek:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I suppose you could have damaged the threads inside but you would have had to put A LOT of force on it using the pad spreader. If you still have it in the air you could A) Pull the brake handle and try to rotate the wheels by hand to see if driver side isn't holding as well B) Have someone apply brake pressure and do the same test.

Also, newer vehicles with electronic parking brakes work just like this. They usually have an electric motor attached to the back, and they can be set to the service position if you know the procedure. Or I have seen a couple where they use a controller and a cable operated system. Possible that you haven't encountered these before because the parking brake was either a separate small caliper, or they have a drum type or shoe setup that was inside the rotor hat. These would be attached to the knuckle and behind the wheel hub/flange. In that case the E brake is not integrated into the caliper and you only have to compress the hydraulic fluid behind the piston. :geek:

i definitely did put a lot of force on it. once i wrap up the front brakes and bleed & pump back to tight, i'll check the e-brake thing, thanks for the tip!