WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My review
Product: Bilstein PSS (B14) coilovers
Price: $1047.00
Part number: 47-158283
Purchased: ShopDAP.com

Reason:
I wanted to replace/upgrade my current setup H&R sport springs / Koni Orange shocks. I have used the H&R/Koni setup for three years and the rebound on the Koni’s was going to crap, on the slow highway bumps it would cause the front end to kinda slow bounce. So the next logical upgrade was a set of coilovers. I have always been really impressed with Bilstein, and the work that went into the Bilstein suspensions. So they were my first choice.

Includes:
  • Two front struts with threaded body adjustable with sport springs
  • Two rear Sport shocks
  • Two rear Sport springs with adjustable perch
  • Two coilovers wrenches
  • Spring plates and lock nuts made from a special aluminum alloy
  • Surface coating using Triple-C-Technology® for long-lasting corrosion resistance
  • Round threads for perfect handling
  • BILSTEIN mono-tube/Upside-Down technology, made in Germany
  • German TüV certificate

Install:
The install is a moderate level install. Simple tools, and like most, I have been through several suspensions so I know the ins and outs. As most will also note the driver’s side shock can be the biggest pain in the ass to remove. Just make sure you spray everything down with penetrant lube prior to removal. I initially set the coils at their lowest setting to see what the lowest ride height would be. Then installed the wheels and set the car on the ground. Initial results were really good and I had a measurement of 24 ¾ fender to ground. Note: I also installed a set of Whiteline adjustable end links front and back to remove sway bar preload.

Adjusting:
Fronts are really easy to adjust just toss a jack in and once clear of the tire adjust away
Rears you will have to remove the rear wheel as the adjustment points place the wrench right were the wheel is.

Daily Driving:
I am all for a track minded suspension even for daily use and my first impressions were really good. The car felt WAY more stable and the biggest difference was the lack of front to rear weight transfer upon acceleration and braking! Car felt dead flat. Over the next week the springs started to settle and this is where the ride went to shit. So after some more research I found out that if you set the PSS coilovers at a setting lower that prescribed by Bilstien you will create and issue called BUMP STOP ACTIVE. Bilstein’s use an inverted shock assembly and the bump stops are internal at the bottom of the shock. When set too low you engage the first bump stop. So this will cause the suspension to beat you to shit. SO back into the garage and I set the suspension to the ride height recommended by Bilstein (25 3/4’’ fender to ground) and wow what a huge difference. Now it is more like a heavy duty touring suspension than a track set-up. So I then proceeded to drop the suspension in ¼’’ increments until the suspension started to get shity again. Ended up with the suspension set to 25 ¼’’ fender to ground. This was the best balance of the ride and appearance. For daily driving the PSS are stiffer than the spring/shock combo but the benefits or the quality and adjustability are a positive trade off. So I would recommend them but if you want a smooth ride then you will have to get the adjustable dampening/rebound PSS10.

PRO's:
Adjustable, track performance, build quality

CON's:
Limited ride quality at the lowest setting, no adjustment for dampening or rebound

Where to buy them
https://www.shopdap.com/catalog/product/view/id/603465/category/14570/

Product info Bilstein
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...91581547798855&SubModelId=8319064828189128511

Picture of my car below is with them set at their lowest setting.
PSS coilovers.jpg

d6a6209af295e003b511bd015c5f8f76.jpg

IMG_3623.JPG

lowest seting.jpg

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Nice review

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Nice write up and car looks awesome!!! I will add these to my coilover list.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
5000 mile up date:
They have broken in nicely. I was a little nervous at first because I have an hour commute this was just going to be to harsh. But now it is a good 15% softer than new. Big improvement.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I enjoyed the Bilstiens but my family hated them. They were just to stiff spring rates for the kidos in the back seats. I have since changed over to ST XTA and wow I am in love with these. So if I could do it again I would have just bought the ST XTA's.