GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Shuenk TSI K03+ Turbo - Dyno

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Shuenk is a spinoff of FrankenTurbo that specializes in OEM+ turbos. FrankenTurbo will continue to market the higher output F23T turbo as well.

How much would one of these k03 turbo be approximately?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
How much would one of these k03 turbo be approximately?

It is listed in my review. 849 with the DV and boost pipe included.

1776dmc

Travis -- thank you for volunteering to test our novel turbocharger design on your Mk6. For some time now we've been wanting to find out if a turbo that's designed specifically for "staged" chip tuning would offer a benefit. And boy, your dyno sure demonstrates it does.

The key to the K03+ turbo's success is owing to the way tuners calibrate their software for the stock turbo. As you said in your review, performance software mapping typically requests more from the stock turbo than it can deliver. Our K03+ is meant to pick up that horsepower being left on the table. And with its up-sized turbine housing and larger OEM-style mixed flow rotor, it delivers that power at safe back-pressures and EGTs. In other words, if VW asked IHI to give them a turbo for use with performance software, we think this is what IHI would offer.

The next step is to find out how well the turbo cooperates with other software. We will have news on Cobb and Unitronic from our own test car shortly. And we are offering a significant rebate to outside testers.

Thank you Travis for the excellent data collection and careful control of your testing conditions.

Doug Harper
FrankenTurbo/Shuenk
Can you update us on how the unitronic stage 2 tune is with yall's new turbo?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Are they going to be selling the turbo without the DV and boostpipe included? I'm sure the included DV is a chinese one and dont really need the boostpipe.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Are they going to be selling the turbo without the DV and boostpipe included? I'm sure the included DV is a chinese one and dont really need the boostpipe.

You can email them and ask.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Can you update us on how the unitronic stage 2 tune is with yall's new turbo?

I think Doug is going to run his car on the dyno with the Uni stg2. I tried to flash mine last night with my Uni connect cable and it says my account is no longer active! So until that gets fix I can’t run the tests on my car.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Travis -- I didn't know you had access to Unitronic's files. Do you need my help with getting your account status restored? Testing data on your car with the Uni Stg2 would be very informative.

Also, to the question about the extras we include, this turbo has a billet diverter valve sandwich plate that eliminates the plastic parts on the OEM diverter valve. This enhances the turbo's durability. It also adds a sporty "blow off" sound that we think our customers will appreciate.

mars2

Ready to race!
For the same kind of gain you could get a AUDI B8.5 CHRA from Melett and a Turbine housing from China 06H145702Q.
Like that you upgrade your IHI G6 GTI to a IHI Audi B8.5. You just keep your Compressor housing, the compressor wheel of the G6 GTI and AUDI B8.5 are the same.
This is 200% plug and play
The Audi B 8.5 as a IIHI JH5 with a bigger A/R than G6 GTI and a turbine that is 44mm exducer and 52mm inducer Mixed flow. Bigger than a KO4.
G6 GTI turbine is 41mm exducer/45mm inducer
A few guys proof that this give at least 25 WHP more. with a forge wastegate and 2psi more craving pressure you should be at 35 HP more.
You can also compare on APR B8.5 vs G6 GTI stage 2

https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...IHI-RHF5-JH5-06H145702Q-AudiSeat-20-TFSI.htmlhttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058011165.htmlhttps://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...heel-RHF5-Turbo-5244-fits-JH5-06H145702Q.htmlThe turbine I just put it as a proof of the size. You don't need it as you will already get that with the CHRA.

This will cost you about 250 Dollar

PS: I got build one like that but I also got my compressor housing milled to fit a AUDI C7 RS7 IHI JH5 ( same name)billet wheel 44mm inducer/58mm exducer extended tip 62mm.
With only 18.5 psi at 5800rpm I get 278G/S.
I guess my tuner will manage close to 290G/S with a bit more boost.

Last edited:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info but tearing down the IHI turbo housing and expecting it to be just a swap is not going to work.
Here is what my manifold looked like when I did a tear down inspection on it.
The exhaust side had multiple cracks and the housing is unusable.
So no swapping the CHRA on high mile old manifolds is not the best idea.
98B0C11B-3306-4A6B-83DB-E9674CEDC9CF.jpeg

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Also changing the CHRA doesn’t fix the trashed wastegate flapper. That is part of the manifold so I would still have to fix the worn out wastegate.

Worn out wastegate video

Last edited:

mars2

Ready to race!
I got you but on what I propose you change Exhaust manifold ( with new waste gate door) and CHRA. SO the only part that you keep from your old turbo is the compressor housing and the waste gate actuator fi you don't want a Forge.
Come on manifold to CHRA is one screw it take 20 second to change. I did it so many time. A 5 year old Kid can do that.
Chra to Compressor housing take 5 minute max! If you have 2 left hand full off thumbs!!!

That Manifold had some serious heat trouble! To high EGT? Mine was not in this shape after 80000 miles stage 2

PS:the A4 B8 turbine can not fit in the G6 GTI exhaust manifold it's 3mm bigger on exducer and 7mm bigger on Inducer.
That's why you have to also buy a new manifold for a 90 Dollars

This one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058011165.html

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
You do you. I have done a couple turbo rebuilds on other platforms and I see your point. But I would not want to reuse any of the IHI parts. This is a bolt on solution with a full brand new assembly. New wastegate, new compressor housing, new n75, new manifold, CHRA, and new dv. Just makes more sense than trying to make something work in a used high mile housing.

mars2

Ready to race!
I 'm opposite to you.I'm a fan of recycling.
We have really to stop consuming our planet need it.
I only by recycle phone, computer.... Any time I can fix something it make me happy.
I love that Swedish laws that make your taxe's go down when you can proof that you fixed instead of buying new or bought recycle item's instead of new.

I don't see what can go wrong with an old Compressor housing if it is not damage. It's just aluminium with no stress. a new N75 and NEW DV are pretty cheap.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Cost of your rebuild
CHRA £265 = $346 us
Manifold $90 + $90 shipping = $180 us
New DV = $76 + shipping
New n75 = $24 + shipping
New wastegate = $115 + shipping
That is ready $741 without some of the shipping. Plus you are still using the inferior IHI housing. And the Allie express manifold looks like garbage with casting material everywhere. Like it was made in a play dough press.