GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS-510 Video In Motion via firmware change 5 min job and free.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Performed this yesterday and worked like a charm. Listened to a Steely Dan performance on the way to work. I have a ton of music/concert DVDs. I've wanted this type of ability for a long time, because many of the DVDs have menus you need to choose between 2 CH, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. Once playback has started I hit the Map button. Thank OP for the info! There was no way I was going to dish out the extra $$ for the Kufatec VIM module. Have a great weekend all!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Obligatory warning: As with any electronics when you make firmware changes there is a chance of bricking your unit. If you don't accept that risk then stop reading now. Also playing DVDs while driving is dangerous and intended for passengers only. Just like texting/talking DON'T DO IT.

Procedure worked, tested with Norah Jones live in New Orleans on my 1/2 mile driveway and then checked all of the other radio functions, all worked as usual with the added DVD in motion.

Regina SK, Thanks, nice mod.

For all who upgrade: remember the warnings.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Double post, sorry, :(

Last edited:

CeD1

Passed Driver's Ed
Darnit

Darn... My CDN one doesn't work. Burned the disc and it only comes wih an error and to insert the factory software cd. Then reboots to normal.

Not sure what my version is but I got the car April 2010 so it was an early one. My friend with an Audi did it using the VAGCOM. But I couldn't find the menu for mine.

Guess I'll keep waiting :iono:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Darn... My CDN one doesn't work. Burned the disc and it only comes wih an error and to insert the factory software cd. Then reboots to normal.
Mine showed that error first then rebooted itself and loaded the burnt disc.

So 100% worked on mine. RNS510 from my Sept 2009 build date

HW-Version H02
SW-Version 0360

I used a DVD-R burned at 2x speed on a Mac using Toast 9

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Mine had a red border on top and bottom telling me that system can not start, i think it said to load factory or system disk, i just gave it a moment or two and it rebooted and it loaded the disk.

CeD1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, maybe I gave up too soon. From what I remember the red bars comes up then waiting it will reboot and work. From there if I eject the disk (after getting to the radio again) and put in a DVD it should work?

I'll try it again.

CeD1

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Works! Thanks!

For me after you press the three buttons and insert the DVD (the other times when it didn't work were CDs. This was a DVD burnt at 2x as per bubuski) it goes to the two red bars screen, and then still takes some time to load. Then finally got to the white screen. When I used the CDs previously nothing happened. Don't know if the DVD was the trick (probably not) but glad it worked.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Congratulations, the CD media worked for me, but your experience, taking a little time, kind of a OH sh*t moment, then loads.

This is a major find, because the only thing that was offered was some device that cost about 250 dollars, so it looked like the moving option would never happen for me.

Because on the rare times when everyone is in this car, i would like this option in case they get tired of texting, checking email etc., keeping them entertained gives me time to chill.

Blazn5

Ready to race!
Awesome find. Just did this to 2 GTIs (May 2010 delivery). Worked like a charm!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Does your system play DVD's? If it does than it might, as far as I know this is just for the RNS 510.

MrCradock

Has anyone in Europe got this working? When I hold down the setup button I only get to AM/FM, but not the secret menu (tried for a long time).

youngage

Passed Driver's Ed
how long should this take about 5 minutes?

does it change anything to the original layout? or just it just allow you to watch dvds while driving?

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
From start to finish about 2 or 3 minutes, it hasn't changed anything else that i am aware of, i tried nav, media, sd, ipod, presets, saved destinations all seemed the same, but now DVD in motion.