GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Hey all, welcome to GolfMK6, the 6th gen GOLF site which includes the Golf, GTI and other Golf derivations.

Your moderators here are: GTI2007, bubuski, danielj, Bender, Grambles423, Merkle and SayaGTI

Administrators are JJ-R32 and Gulfer

Please feel free to contact the administrators of this forum for site feedback, registration problems or other inquiries by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page or forum (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/sendmessage.php )

The board administration and its moderators at golfmk6.com ask that our members follow a few basic rules in order to ensure a friendly atmosphere. Failure to do so may result in a violation. Violations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may result in warnings or expulsion from the forums. This will be decided upon at the discretion of the board administration and its moderators. Contributing members are encouraged to report any violations and make recommendations regarding our site.

The Code of Conduct is as follows:

1. Trolling, flaming, and bashing are not acceptable at golfmk6.com. Trolling includes, but is not limited to posting controversial messages with the intention of baiting other users into an argumentative response. Flaming includes, but is not limited to insulting and hostile interaction between users. Bashing, likewise, is also not permitted. All communications are to remain on a respectful and mature level. Do not retaliate to an inappropriate post with another inappropriate post. Instead use the "Report post to moderator" button, or simply PM your moderators if such an instance should arise.

2. No tolerance is given for racist and derogatory remarks.

3. Respect your moderators. The moderators are volunteers and avid Volkswagen fans who graciously donate their time to golfmk6.com. This online community would not be possible without their assistance.

4. Accessing or attempting to access another members account is prohibited. Purposeful invasion of a forum members privacy is also prohibited.

5. Members are to have only one username. Creating an additional username after expulsion from the site will result in blocking the user's IP address.

6. Nudity of any type is not permitted within the forums. This includes the Off-Topic forums. Threads with adult content are to be posted in the "OFF-TOPIC" forum and must contain "NWS" in the thread title as a courtesy to other members. Forums outside of the Off-Topic forums are to maintain a G Rating.

7. All posts are to be related to the topic of the thread they are discussed within. Post that are off-topic of the original post are subject to being deleted.

8. Signatures must be of appropriate length. Signature photos and graphics must also be kept minimal in size.

9. Spamming is not allowed. Advertisements are not allowed without the explicit permission of the administration. Please contact the administrators for more details on becoming a golfmk6.com sponsor.

10. Illegal use of copyrighted or trademarked material is not permitted. This includes linking and/or discussions related to obtaining illegal distributions.

11. In addition to the aforementioned rules, questionable or undesirable content deemed inappropriate by the administration or the moderators will be subject to review on a case-by-case basis.

Vendor and Solicitation Threads

Administrators are JJ-R32 and Gulfer

Please contact the administrators for more details on becoming a golfmk6.com sponsor or vendor by using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page or forum (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/sendmessage.php )

Golfmk6.com prohibits the advertising and solicitation of products and/or services from businesses and/or their agents without prior consent from one of the Administrators of this forum. Please PM an Administrator for clarification or permission BEFORE starting a thread or listing a business in your signature. Audits are randomly done and bans and citations will be given to violators of this rule. Each citation is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the site administrators and moderators.

Violating vendors of the rules below may receive a forum ban.

1. Vendor advertisements Threads are to be posted in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Threads announcing promotions and discounts should be placed in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Cross-posting a thread announcing promotions and discounts across multiple forums is considered spamming and is prohibited.
    • New product announcement threads can go in the applicable forum, but sales of the product should go in the vendor forum.
    2. Vendors are allowed to organize Group Buys by initiating a thread in the Vendor Classifieds forum. Cross-posting a Group Buy thread across multiple forums is considered spamming and is prohibited.

3. Signatures Advertisements are allowed but we ask to keep it of appropriate length. We also ask to add information on your signature line stating the company you work for, etc., so golfmk6 members know you are a vendor.

4. Golfmk6.com members who choose to rate sellers in classified threads must post with a FIRST-HAND and FACTUAL account of a transaction and/or product. If for any unfortunate reason you must post a negative experience, please***GOLFMK6 MEMBERS PLEASE READ (Technical Forums)***

The technical threads have become much more argumentative lately. Although this forum is relatively new, members have approached me regarding the direction some threads seem to head. As usual, posts will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

When a thread involves a discussion regarding a particular product or company that you may not be in support of, you are expected to post responsibly/maturely if you choose to comment in such a thread. Failure to do so and you will be subject to infraction and/or ban.

In regards to the ban: The initial ban might be for two weeks, followed by a chance to come back to the forums with a better attitude. If you choose not to change the intent of your post, then you will be permanently banned.
    Simple as that.

Take care and enjoy the forum.
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 296 95.5%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 14 4.5%

• Total voters

theclutch

Ready to race!
Wow, dont know how you guys are having such good luck with these things! Had ANOTHER one go today, I seem to pop one every 20,000km or so. Any reasons why the same cylinder would keep going? Brand new plugs, its not the same replaced coil that went as I moved cyl 3 to cyl 4 when I replaced it last as part of my diagnosing. But its the same cylinder. Just a coincidence?
Going to start carrying spares with me!
That's odd. I only popped one original one with a Stratified tune. I replaced it with the red one. The 3 others are still original... I'm at roughly 50k miles now an probably ~20k being tuned.

davisharr

Passed Driver's Ed
That's odd. I only popped one original one with a Stratified tune. I replaced it with the red one. The 3 others are still original... I'm at roughly 50k miles now an probably ~20k being tuned.
Yeah, I know my car hasn't been tuned for long, but the R8 coils was a mod the previous owner did, so maybe they are older than I think. When the Audi dealer opens tomorrow I am going to replace all 3 of the ones that I know aren't new, just in case. Then see what happens. Probably just older than I though, and if 2 have failed the other 2 are probably soon to come. Just glad I know how to diagnose this issue myself now, would be expensive if I had to pay for a tow because the car went straight into limp mode this time and was un drivable. Last time I had one fail on me it started by only breaking up under boost.

uglybastard

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I know my car hasn't been tuned for long, but the R8 coils was a mod the previous owner did, so maybe they are older than I think. When the Audi dealer opens tomorrow I am going to replace all 3 of the ones that I know aren't new, just in case. Then see what happens. Probably just older than I though, and if 2 have failed the other 2 are probably soon to come. Just glad I know how to diagnose this issue myself now, would be expensive if I had to pay for a tow because the car went straight into limp mode this time and was un drivable. Last time I had one fail on me it started by only breaking up under boost.
which cylinder? maybe the harness is bad/needs replacing?

also, are you certain that theyre R8 red tops and not just OEM packs that are red colored? i have seen those around for sale, just wanted to be sure....

davisharr

Passed Driver's Ed
which cylinder? maybe the harness is bad/needs replacing?

also, are you certain that theyre R8 red tops and not just OEM packs that are red colored? i have seen those around for sale, just wanted to be sure....
#3, if that one goes again I will have to look into it, Ill give the harness a quick visual check tomorrow too just to look for anything that might be obious. And they are for sure R8 ones because when I went in to buy the replacement I ordered from the Audi dealership and they look identical and have matching part # etchings and stuff.

I came across OEM ones that are just red coloured as well, at a pick and pull, thought I had found an awesome find 6 coils for $40 but they are some strange knockoffs (here in Canada new R8 coils new are about $55 each). Worked out well that I had them though as it let me limp the car home from my breakdown with one miss matched coil when the parts stores where closed!

Last edited:

AllStockMafia

Put in my R8 coils about 20-25k miles ago. Car is bone stock as far as the engine goes. No failures/hesitation/misfires since they were installed. Still going strong.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Whats the part number for these? I was looking at ECS and see various RED OEM coilpacks...

Suggestions on where to buy/ link me?

I also can't find the thread with the sparkplug info as well...

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Whats the part number for these? I was looking at ECS and see various RED OEM coilpacks...

Suggestions on where to buy/ link me?

I also can't find the thread with the sparkplug info as well...

https://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-06e905115f-oem.html

EDIT:

Also found these on the same site. I order from here because I can local pickup, not sure what the difference between OEM and GENUINE is.
https://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-06e905115f.html

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I've run R8 coils for about 40K miles all while K04 and have had one coil failure on cylinder #3. A quick diagnostic check, a pair of zip ties, and backup OEM coil that I always carry in the car and I was back on the road in about 20 minutes. It failed at the absolute worst time but being prepared made the incident as good as it could have been.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I used to have to replace the oem coils every summer. I think the hot Texas summers does a number on them, probably premature ignition. I just logged into the ECS website to check when I bought my R8 coils...July 13th 2015. I drive it like methed out derelict on the weekends and haven't had a problem with a single one. I've changed plugs twice since I've had them.

VENOMGTI_732

Hey guys looking to upgrade coil packs on my 2011 mk6 gti. Have been searching and can’t find the exact information I’m looking for. 1) is there any conversion needed when putting upgraded coil packs in, or is it plug and play compatible from stock? And 2) do I look to get rs3, rs7 or r8 coil packs? Going to be putting in ngk platinum spark plugs in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Go Kart Champion
1) it's plug and play.

2) r8 coil packs - part number 06E905115F . beware of knock-offs, i've heard of OEM GTI coilpacks being pants and solf as the real deal. the business end of the OEM ones are narrower than the R8's.

doublecheck your gaps on your plugs when you install. NGKs come pre-gapped but checking can't hurt anyone...

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
1) it's plug and play.

2) r8 coil packs - part number 06E905115F . beware of knock-offs, i've heard of OEM GTI coilpacks being pants and solf as the real deal. the business end of the OEM ones are narrower than the R8's.

doublecheck your gaps on your plugs when you install. NGKs come pre-gapped but checking can't hurt anyone...

Ditto that. My buddy who does tune ups all day at a quick lube shop told me that more than half of the pre gapped plugs he gets in are way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They work great, have about 10k on mine. Make the engine feel more aggressive!

Was really dissapointed they were not on Amazon Prime. What a week that was!

bigtim3727

What's your guys opinion of the various knock-off red-top "R8" coils that are sold on amazon?

I had inadvertently purchased a set of 4 that were made by the company "AA Ignition" (IIRC), that I installed around at 60K. I almost sent them back, but the build quality was surprisingly good, so I said "screw it" and decided to install them, along with new NGK's.

I just hit 100K miles and they've been excellent for the past 40K. I noticed improved throttle response when I changed them, and I haven't had any misfires to speak of. I'm sure they're not as good as the OEM Bosch R8s, but I've had success with them.

Anyone else use those?

theclutch

Ready to race!
.... I noticed improved throttle response when I changed them.....
Oh really? Unless the original ones were completely dead, I am highly doubting that. But if you believe this to be true, then great for you!

I've had the stock OEM packs blow one at a time over the course of 30k miles of being tuned. I.e. - I didn't replace them with the genuine red ones until they blew. When the 3rd OEM blew about 4 months ago, I just decided to install all of the red ones and keep one black one as a spare.

What I'm saying is, while your fake red ones work now, we will not know when they will blow. And seriously, even if they do, they are so easy to change that maybe it was monetarily worth it.

p.s. - when my stock OEM ones blew and I would limp/creep to a parking area and change them in like 5 minutes. The key is to have Mechanix gloves in the trunk so the hot packs won't burn you.