GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
These new kids Will. SMH.

Far from new, sorry you need to feel superior. When I see APR dyno sheets, I don't KNOW that they actually put a car on a dyno. BUT, someone else can surely buy their tune and then prove the dyno sheet by replicating it. All I'm looking for is that replication, I don't understand the hostility honestly. Sorry I'd like some hard evidence before I spend money, I have kids and a mortgage. If I still lived with my parents maybe I could just toss money at packs with red tops and feel good about it. Get a grip.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Far from new, sorry you need to feel superior. When I see APR dyno sheets, I don't KNOW that they actually put a car on a dyno. BUT, someone else can surely buy their tune and then prove the dyno sheet by replicating it. All I'm looking for is that replication, I don't understand the hostility honestly. Sorry I'd like some hard evidence before I spend money, I have kids and a mortgage. If I still lived with my parents maybe I could just toss money at packs with red tops and feel good about it. Get a grip.

Fair point. but again, if you dont want to buy into the idea thats fine. don't.

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI, i'm APR stage 2 ECU/TCU, AND have a mortgage...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So you are implying i live at home with my parent now? Now who is acting childish.

Also HStuning doesnt make r8 coil packs they just sell parts. no independent lab is going to test coil packs unless you pay them to. So by all means in the name of science buy some coil packs and send them to a lab to run testing.

There no hostility you just choose to not accept information.

If we are throwing it out there i too have a Mortgage from my home i bought solo last year in February. I also did about half of the renovations in my home by myself too.. all while working and paying for my car and other bills.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Alright, all hostility/ aggression aside.

It can be tested. Run 4 stock coils. Run 4 red coils.

But speculation or not, a part made for the r8 is probably more robust than a part made for our golfs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
So you are implying i live at home with my parent now? Now who is acting childish.

Also HStuning doesnt make r8 coil packs they just sell parts. no independent lab is going to test coil packs unless you pay them to. So by all means in the name of science buy some coil packs and send them to a lab to run testing.

There no hostility you just choose to not accept information.

If we are throwing it out there i too have a Mortgage from my home i bought solo last year in February. I also did about half of the renovations in my home by myself too.. all while working and paying for my car and other bills.

I didn't imply anything, I was stating the facts of my situation. I'm sure a bunch of people on here and forums across the world have a mortgage and kids. Maybe even more kids than me! lol But it doesn't change the fact that that factors into how I spend my money. And you're right I don't choose to just accept information. I wonder how many people are going to reply that they have spent thousands on their mods and have a mortgage and kids, I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't, or couldn't so everyone just calm down.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, all hostility/ aggression aside.

It can be tested. Run 4 stock coils. Run 4 red coils.

But speculation or not, a part made for the r8 is probably more robust than a part made for our golfs

There is probably a real good chance that that is 100% true. Like I said in a previous post, I hope it IS true, because it's a relatively inexpensive way to do some preventive maintenance. I'm tuned for over 10k miles and I haven't had a problem with a pack, but it would really suck if I did mid-road trip. I'm just interested in these packs for that reason alone. Not because they're red. So all this shade is because I want proof? Makes no sense.

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't imply anything, I was stating the facts of my situation. I'm sure a bunch of people on here and forums across the world have a mortgage and kids. Maybe even more kids than me! lol But it doesn't change the fact that that factors into how I spend my money. And you're right I don't choose to just accept information. I wonder how many people are going to reply that they have spent thousands on their mods and have a mortgage and kids, I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't, or couldn't so everyone just calm down.

Have you thought about the fact that there are people on this forum that are already/have been where you are, have asked for advice/information for the same thing, and have come out perfectly fine or ahead of the game after "real world tests" by other fine forum members? You're knocking everyone who has gone through all the tests possible and are implying slightly that these tests aren't good enough. If that's the case, buy the coils from A**zon so that if they don't do what you want them to, you can send them back for free and get your money back. It's that simple.

food for thought...

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Dude read HStunings article i linked. They found it to be more efficent, stronger/brighter spark, higher resistance, the r8s allowed for larger gaps through out the rpm/voltage range before a misfire started.

...80-90/100 people get tuned (at all varying mileage and maintenance plans) and they have coils blow on them. ...

And your argument that the stock coils were gonna fail anyways i find a little to convenient that we have multiple reports on here where people travel less than 10 miles after a tune before blowing a coil pack. Either all those people just happened to have the worst timing ever or it has something to do with the higher demand of spark pulses required on a tuned car.

1. I would totally agree that the R8 packs have better specs, etc. And it's definitely better to have these than blow a coilpack when you're in the middle of nowhere. Like others, I suggest that it's better to have them than not. Also, they look sooooo much better.
2. But NO WHERE does it say for a fact that a tuned ECU will blow the stock coil pack. It boggles my mind why some can't accept this. I don't disagree that there are people who travel less than 10 miles blow a coil pack after being tuned maybe true. But was it due to the tune? Or was it due to the potential that they were wringing the hell out of the engine to see how well the tune worked? Did they wring the engine the same way when it was stock? While I would agree that there are people who blew a stock coil pack right after a tune, what about the rest that didn't? (I didn't). The people who blew a stock coil pack would likely run to the forums and report it. The people that didn't wouldn't report it (you didn't see me post that I blew a coil pack 7k miles ago). So FACTUALLY, one cannot say for sure that it's the tune that causes the stock coil packs to blow.

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
Here is my anecdotal evidence on the matter:

14k miles on the odometer, my engine is tuned
17k miles on the odometer, first coil pack fails and is replaced with an OEM part
20k miles on the odometer, second coil pack fails in a different cylinder and is replaced with an OEM part
21k miles on the odometer, I get tired of limping the car home and replace the OEM coil packs with R8 coil packs
40k miles on the odometer, I changed the spark plugs
51k miles on the odometer, I am at today with no further coil pack issues.

My personal observations, while true, do not prove anything. However, a trend starts to take place when my anecdotal evidence is combined with many other individuals on this board who have had similar observations where they too switched to R8's and have suffered no further coil pack failures on their engines. As others have stated this is only a trend based on a collection of anecdotal observations and not proof of a theory as to why. I am not sure we will ever know the answer as to why there are many observations of people having improved coil pack reliability on their tuned cars when switching to R8's. That said, the experiences of this forums' users would also suggest one carry extra coil packs in their trunk if they are tuned and not running R8's.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I guess the best analogy I can give is that parts have a tolerance spec. We know all parts on the assembly line are slightly different, but are only required to meet the spec. So for example, a processor is required to run well at 3.8ghz. It may in fact run just as well at 4.2ghz. But that is not the required spec, so they dont really test it. Another of the same exact processor may crap out at 4.1ghz, but it doesnt matter because it is not the designed spec.
This is the stock coil pack.