GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ronnie_B's 2013 GTI - K04 Track Day Build

Ronnie_B

Go Kart Champion
So two hot (~100*) days at VIR proved that the oil cooler relocation works, with temps never getting above 255. Unfortunately I fought coolant temps both days, with temps wanting to creep up to 240 after a few hot laps. So in an attempt to increase cooling capacity, I’ve installed a mk5 R32 auxiliary radiator which is a direct bolt in for our cars. It installs on the driver side using the SAI studs on the frame. It taps into the upper and lower radiator hoses using VW 32mm to 20mm taps. Instead of buying the VW specific hoses, I just used Dayco 3/4” heater hose. All in all, it’s a pretty straightforward install, and should hopefully provide some additional cooling. Next step is to open up the fog light grill like a did on the passenger side for the oil cooler.
831CB4E2-F013-44AC-A0E3-E4EB62802EED.jpeg
5BAC3F3F-E79C-41D7-96D6-2659E8249642.jpeg
7C805574-D6E9-4677-9F8A-566B80CEB672.jpeg

AD0E422F-8AEC-4030-A704-F9F4FD187210.jpeg
99D05E65-09D9-4346-8699-BDA377F7E903.jpeg
 
Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Love what you're doing with cooling!! The "fog light" installs are great.
 

Ronnie_B

Go Kart Champion
Quick update….
Aux radiator install is finished and the driver side fog light vent is done. Refilled the coolant system with 100% distilled water + VP Cool Down.
37B035DE-72C7-4C88-B4E7-21B68CAC6B34.jpeg

F5AD89F2-ECAF-4847-8418-1E0DC3FE9557.jpeg

Position of the vent in front of the aux radiator.

Have also decided to go Cobb AP with Stratified Protune. This allows me to know exactly what’s happening on track and make adjustments to the tune as needed. Also allows me to get rid of my SAI delete CELs. Right now I’m going through the Protune process of running MAF calibration and WOT logs on the base file. Once I get a decent street tune nailed down, I’ll take additional logs at my next track event.
235D5FC7-DD5D-47B3-9378-5D6F978CE38B.jpeg
 

Ronnie_B

Go Kart Champion
Got around to installing the Verus hood vents this week, which is something I’ve been dreading. All in all, install went pretty well. I taped the hood and just left it installed, rather than removing it, and put blankets on the engine bay and car to catch the metal. I drilled the holes from the topside, not the bottom to avoid cracking the paint. Ended up using an air grinder with a 3”x1/16” cutoff wheel for the main cuts, then a dremel with a metal cutting bit for the finish work.
3B86B706-D085-4897-BE45-56E7ED07EAE3.jpeg
EDE009FC-1B7B-4120-8FEE-7E95CEB194A7.jpeg
03FB4EAC-C42B-4E0D-A33E-CDC2C3A6408C.jpeg
1D8B01BE-D8B3-4E91-A5A1-C849AA34AB31.jpeg
E6EA8A1F-8F24-4BA2-B713-13EF93EFE1AC.jpeg
F0C6AD14-F7F7-422E-B665-3C7DB4C4FE8C.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Top