GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I am really considering these belts. Please do post your thoughts. Do you plan on using a HANS Hybrid with it?
Where are you running? I hope to get to VIR later this year.
Will definitely post once I get some seat time with them. I got the Quick Fit Pro vs the less expensive standard Quick Fit so I have the option to run a HANS device later. Here’s my schedule so far:

Mar 22-23 VIR Full w/Trackdaze
April 17-18 VIR Full w/Trackclub
May 22-23 Summit Point Shenandoah Trackdaze
June 21-22 VIR Full w/Trackdaze
Aug 20th VIR Full SCCA Track Night
Sept 16th Dominion SCCA Track Night
Oct 2 Summit Point Main VW Fastivus
Nov 4-5 VIR Full & Grand w/Trackdaze

Let me know if you plan to be at VIR.

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Nice schedule. Just to give some props to the local club, Tar Heel Sports Car Club runs a nice HPDE event at VIR. The two events there for them this year are 5/29-30 and 9/11-12, both the Full course. I'm shooting for the 9/11-12 event. Would love to do others and would certainly let you know if I do.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Nice schedule. Just to give some props to the local club, Tar Heel Sports Car Club runs a nice HPDE event at VIR. The two events there for them this year are 5/29-30 and 9/11-12, both the Full course. I'm shooting for the 9/11-12 event. Would love to do others and would certainly let you know if I do.
Oh nice, yeah I’ve signed up for the Southern Fried HPDE event in the past, and I believe it was cancelled. I’ll keep the Sept VIR in mind and may try to make that.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Hit 100k yesterday after 8yrs of ownership. Still love this car.

DFBBBEBE-F2BE-49B3-A477-45F53AD01C80.jpeg

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
First track event of the season is in the books. Car just did phenomenal. The ST40 BBK is a game changer and I found myself threshold braking much later, and I also had better pedal modulation for trail braking. The added camber of the GC plates allowed me to carry more speed through the climbing esses, with stability control fully disabled.
Lastly the Schroth Quick-Fit harnesses kept me planted and I could focus on driving, not bracing myself.

Here’s a lap around the Full Course at VIR, chasing a C6 that we took turns lead/following the entire session. All in all a great time, and I’ll be back next month to chase my virtual best of 2:14.

EE919391-3BB6-4303-A0A1-629E833EDE73.jpeg
F7460E1D-A02C-4022-8A00-594DECD55AD0.jpeg
2F640221-3EF7-4441-B935-30D91897F33F.jpeg

torga

Autocross Champion
Gonna bookmark that vid to watch during my lunch break!

torga

Autocross Champion
Really sick video, dude! Very exhilarating. That C6 could NOT shake you.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Nice weekend to be in VA. Great drive also. Glad to know you liked the Schroth belts. Any negatives to them?
Also, how do you like the window deflectors? Do they make a difference in buffeting on track with the windows open? My car has horrible buffeting and thinking these may help?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Nice weekend to be in VA. Great drive also. Glad to know you liked the Schroth belts. Any negatives to them?
Also, how do you like the window deflectors? Do they make a difference in buffeting on track with the windows open? My car has horrible buffeting and thinking these may help?

The only negative I can think of with the Schroth Quick-Fits would be that you have to tighten down the lap belt portion pretty tight to keep the shoulder belts from pulling on it. This is simply inherent to the 4-point design, where you don’t have a 5th or 6th belt to pull down. Honestly, this never became an issue for me because I would always tighten the lap belt as much as I could, then tighten the shoulder belts.

As far as the window deflectors, I’ve decided to run them to help divert water on the occasional wet track day. I run with only my front windows down, to cut down on wind buffeting. When I open my rear windows, I still get buffering, so I avoid that if I can.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Finally took the plunge and decided to upgrade to a k04. Went with APR, as I wanted something track proven and reliable.
DBDF0F93-D245-41DA-856C-321AF7D0CA02.jpeg

Install proved to be challenging, after the coolant inlet banjo fitting didn’t hold vacuum before coolant refill. Ended up pulling the turbo back out because the fitting is nearly impossible to access with it installed. Found the copper crush washers were not sealing, so I bought new ones, annealed them, and that fixed the issue. Bench pressure tested the turbo housing and it held 20psi fine. Reinstalled in the car and coolant system held vacuum.
17DE81B7-739B-4E97-83F8-3D86883300E6.jpeg
27963701-D2F0-4F60-95B2-09E1F30DC617.jpeg

Took the car to Race Werks in VB to get the APR k04 tune. All I can say is I can’t wait to get this thing back on track. 😄
8D6188A9-D1E4-4ACC-B365-909815A46ACB.jpeg

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
First track event after k04 install was at Summit Point Shenandoah, which is notoriously hard on both car and driver. With ambient temps ~90*, had issues all day keeping oil temps in check.

618CD377-8FF6-4C24-8BC5-C30CA0A9B210.jpeg

AB49DB59-3F85-43C8-AA5F-E72345148C09.jpeg

Decided to try relocating my oil cooler away from the intercooler/radiator, to its own dedicated air stream on the passenger side. Also took the opportunity to rotate the cooler so the ports were on top, which apparently is the correct orientation per the manufacturer.

A365A2E9-0EB6-40F5-891F-B1DA3C418E4D.jpeg

4F5D7431-B0FA-41A2-9786-6A37C96A38F8.jpeg

To provide more airflow to the oil cooler, the fog light was a casualty, but if it keeps me on track for a 30 minute session...I’m ok with it.

Next up is a two day event in June at VIR, so hopefully my oil cooling issues are resolved.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Got the car buttoned up and back on the ground. Decided to open up some additional vents on the skidplate to increase cooling. Driving around town I noticed the oil temps cooler than before. Especially going from sitting in traffic to moving, the oil temps drop faster than before.
Hopefully this translates to lower temps on track. I’ll find out later this month for a 2 day event at VIR in the heat.
3C09EB9A-AE33-4390-86BD-53F7C091D757.jpeg
64BE1D7C-FB39-4DCA-8CAE-A40493EC950D.jpeg