GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Made it to Fastivus at Summit Point Raceway last weekend, with HPDE on the Shenandoah Circuit. Never seen so many GTI’s / R’s on track before, such a blast.
2F0867FA-697A-4ACC-B050-5B41E979DCCA.jpeg
F4DB06EE-C72C-43FF-B7C3-214C983E9243.jpeg
EA6F8BD2-0461-4A43-BCD6-3C60F0B930E4.jpeg

Car did well on track, and the new seat and HANS device kept me from moving like before. Tuning wise, we found that the engine is running slightly lean on the top end, and have dialed boost back a bit. I’m in the process of installing a Stratified Aux Fueling System to increase fuel delivery and allow us to open boost up on the top end and keep injector times at a safe level. I’ll post up logs once I have everything ready,
1300F3FE-82FD-4E5C-8E83-78C4CB1F0D0D.jpeg

7B6EEA49-5B5A-43DF-B91D-2DB134BFECDA.jpeg
E6A82A2D-5A28-4F08-9C06-8241B621465B.jpeg

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Was able to sneak in a track day at Dominion Raceway last week, primarily to shake down the new aux fuel tune before VIR next week. Car did well and had some fun chasing a 981 Cayman for a few sessions.

In other news, I finally bit the bullet and stepped up to 255/40r17 tires. I would have went 245/40, but Nitto doesn’t make the NT01 in that size. It’s a tight fit with the 17x8.5 ET45, but I think I can make it work with camber.. Had to do some minor pulling of the rear fenders, and fronts are already pulled slightly.
9F1AEE0D-76DF-44D8-98C4-F837F2AA6759.jpeg
2AAAD23B-5DC6-4A7F-AC1E-9899007763FB.jpeg

DAF1ACF0-94AE-4DE9-9975-749DAADB0E5F.jpeg

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Just wrapped up the last track event of the year, a 2 day event at VIR. Ran the Grand Course day 1, and the Full Course day 2. The 255 NT01s were phenomenal, and only had minor rubbing on the driver side rear. Set a new personal best of 2:12 on the Full Course, with a top speed of 141 on the back straight. Followed a green GT3 most of the last session, and had a blast. So happy with how far the car has come this year.

torga

Autocross Champion
You make it look easy!

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Alignment done. This is with the GC camber plates and SuperPro RCA ball joints maxed out. I was aiming for -3* camber and as much positive caster I could get, so I’m fine with the results.

Are you still running these numbers for your alignment? I'm hoping to have the roll control ball joints and VWR springs installed next week. Then I'll have all of the same suspension components that you have. I chewed up the outer edge of my RS-4s over the last couple track days. -1.8 camber just isn't enough.

How is the car to drive on the street with your setup? I'll be commuting 75 miles round trip 2-3 days a week once our offices open up again.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Are you still running these numbers for your alignment? I'm hoping to have the roll control ball joints and VWR springs installed next week. Then I'll have all of the same suspension components that you have. I chewed up the outer edge of my RS-4s over the last couple track days. -1.8 camber just isn't enough.

How is the car to drive on the street with your setup? I'll be commuting 75 miles round trip 2-3 days a week once our offices open up again.
I really didn’t notice much difference in terms of street driving with the new alignment. I drive the car quite a bit on the street and haven’t had any issues.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Spent the last few weeks getting the car ready for the track season. Fresh alignment, ECS catch can install, dialed in Stratified tune, and sealing an oil leak at the cooler. First track event at VIR was earlier this week and went very well, set a PB on the Full Course both days with light traffic and ideal weather. Only issue I ran into was that I was filling up my catch can after each session. I swapped PCV plates and still the same issue, so I don't think it's a faulty PCV. I've decided to install a drain back line to the pan to recirculate the oil. I'll post pictures once the parts arrive and this is done.

Here is some track footage of a few better laps of the day:

Passing a C8 on the way to the best lap of the event

Following a friend in his mk7 GLI

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
S
Spent the last few weeks getting the car ready for the track season. Fresh alignment, ECS catch can install, dialed in Stratified tune, and sealing an oil leak at the cooler. First track event at VIR was earlier this week and went very well, set a PB on the Full Course both days with light traffic and ideal weather. Only issue I ran into was that I was filling up my catch can after each session. I swapped PCV plates and still the same issue, so I don't think it's a faulty PCV. I've decided to install a drain back line to the pan to recirculate the oil. I'll post pictures once the parts arrive and this is done.

Here is some track footage of a few better laps of the day:

Passing a C8 on the way to the best lap of the event

Following a friend in his mk7 GLI
smooth! 👍

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Had a track event at Summit Point Main a few weeks ago. Had a blast learning a new track, but the fun can’t go on forever…

I noticed the car was consuming oil more than before and I got a misfire fault on cylinder 3. Decided to do compression and leak down tests when I got the car home, and confirmed that cylinder 3 is slightly lower than the others. Leak down came in at 9-10%, compared to the others at ~5%. It’s leaking into the crankcase, which indicates worn rings in that cylinder. At 10% it’s fine for daily driving and spirited street driving, but borderline for track use. I’m still weighing my options, but leaning towards replacing the rings over the winter. I’d like to maintain the stock diameter bore and reuse the pistons if possible. I’ll need to take cylinder bore and piston diameter measurements once apart. All oil analysis indicates the bearings are fine but I’ll plastigauge them to confirm. Would likely disassemble head to check valve guides, lap the valves, install new valve seals, and resurface the deck surface. May decide to upgrade valve springs, but I haven’t noticed any valve float yet. That’s what I know at this stage, but more to come.

Last edited:

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
How many total miles on the engine?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Quick update on the engine rebuild status…

Pulled engine and transmission last week, went ahead and just removed the front end for easier access. Removed the electrical harness with the engine by disconnecting from the ECU, which was so much easier than doing it in the car.

Disassembled everything over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with what I found.

Timing chain looked great, minimal stretch, still ~5 teeth left on the tensioner. Balance shaft screens and bearings looked good. The cam bridge screen was blown out as expected and I can’t for the life of me find it anywhere. I’m thinking it’s in pieces and exited the oil pan during oil changes.

Cylinder walls look good, with minimal wear using the bore gauge. All the pistons had minimal to no wear on the skirts. Obviously the rings are worn, especially cylinder #3 compression rings.
I Plastigauged the main and rod bearings, and all were well within new spec from the workshop manual.

As far as the head, the exhaust guides showed little wear and will be fine to reuse. The valves and seats all look fine, though I will lap the valves, replace the valve seals, and resurface the head.

After inspecting everything I put together my parts list and ordered it all. In the meantime I have lots of parts to clean and some headwork to do. I’ll deglaze the cylinders with a 240 grit ball hone prior to installing the new Kolbenschmidt rings on the oem pistons.

I’ll do all the usual replacement items: chains, guides, tensioners, waterpump, as well as an iAbed baffled oil pan. More updates to come…
D50119CC-7B99-4C2B-8B93-357B680BFAAC.jpeg
1B787BEF-6358-4AB1-B86C-24E56AB10BB2.jpeg
8823605F-D966-4352-B337-FFC5BF201495.jpeg
BEA89F2A-4585-4AD5-B52D-FB1EEFB46B4A.jpeg
0CEEA335-AD16-43D4-B2A8-22C5A74CF41F.jpeg
360934A6-4172-4C3F-B2CC-B1150BA59EB6.jpeg

Last edited: