GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
New tires delivered. :thumbup:

Stepped up from my current Yokohama AD08R to some Nitto NT01s. Found a screaming deal at $100 per tire on Discount Tire Direct in size 225/45r17.

Can't wait to try them out at VIR next month.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Quick update:

2019 track season is over ? but it was fun while it lasted.

I'm planning on a couple winter upgrades to get the car ready for next year. After stepping up to the Nitto NT-01 R-comps (which are amazing btw) I'm definitely putting more heat into my brakes, evident by the fact that they went from bright red at the beginning of the season to a nice reddish-brown color by the end. While swapping back to my street pads also noticed the caliper boots are pretty crispy as well. Fortunately the rotors look fine with only minor crazing, and the G-Loc R12 pads seem to holding up as well, with only the typical minor surface cracks.

I've decided to rebuild my stock calipers, install Stoptech SS lines all around, and retro-fit some Audi RS3 brake ducts to improve cooling. To make rebuilding the stock calipers easier, I bought another set of new VW OEM calipers I found on clearance. I'll install these and then I'll rebuild my current ones in my spare time and to minimize downtime.

I'll keep you guys updated on progress. ?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
would the same lines work for the r?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Few updates....

Installed the new front calipers, rebuilt the rear calipers, and installed the Stoptech SS front/rear lines, followed up by a Motul RBF600 flush. I'll be rebuilding and repainting my old front calipers as spares.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

I also finally decided to get a catback exhaust after years of going back and forth. Went with AWE during a 15% off sale they had last month, and install went pretty smooth. Initial impression is that it's a pretty quality system, and combined with the APR downpipe it's exactly the sound I was looking for.

IMG_0782.jpg

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
In an effort to help lower oil temps on track, I’ve been working on installing an oil cooler. Went with a Mocal kit which includes the thermostatic sandwich plate, -10AN braided lines, 19 row 235mm cooler, and brackets. After startup I noticed a whining noise that varies with RPM, and from everything I can’t tell is coming from the oil pump. In doing some research, I’ve found that oil coolers can cause whine noise that was otherwise not noticeable due to the sound/vibration traveling through the oil cooler lines and to the chassis. I may look into trying to isolate the lines and cooler more with either foam or rubber, but for now I’ll live with it. My oil pressure is normal, so I don’t believe it’s anything serious.

D86970F2-4D3C-4D58-BE0C-A3FDC3965A33.jpeg
A8BF30E7-1608-44CF-92F2-952BF78B58CF.jpeg

AB1F8032-8CCC-4F5D-A2FE-931A6E0AAFE6.jpeg

While I was working on the car, I decided to attempt to replace the water pump belt...because apparently I’m a glutton for punishment. Fortunately, the bolt came loose (reverse thread while holding crankshaft) with a homemade removal tool using a modified 12mm offset box wrench. For anyone wondering, yes you can remove the pulley with the water pump still in place, but don’t be an idiot like me and attempt it.
1ED195E5-9423-4E6B-B15A-B970524ACF77.jpeg

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Rebuilt my spare front calipers with Stoptech seals and painted with G2 caliper enamel. Also repainted my current front calipers as well.

AD5CED69-B7E0-4886-846C-9A3B08ABE91A.jpeg

D3272338-1190-4A98-B6A9-E63C20128503.jpeg
54954804-679E-4A83-86DB-BE9F76687F2B.jpeg

Lastly, I installed VWR rear springs to pair with my existing DG front springs, to help eliminate the annoying rake. So far the car seems to drive well with the DG/VWR combination.
F4770E41-2FD5-4341-B789-4B21C20FD046.jpeg

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I saw on on another thread that you are planning on changing brakes to StopTech. Do you mind if I ask what model brakes you are getting? ST40? and nWhere you got them?
Also if you don't mind, would you share details of your camera set up? I also have the Tackform headrest mount that I used with my iPhone but got really bad shake. Not sure if it was the camera quality or the buffeting from the rear two windows open on track. Do you use image stabilization on your GoPro?
If you prefer you can answer on PM or not at all! :) Just thought I would ask. Thanks!

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I saw on on another thread that you are planning on changing brakes to StopTech. Do you mind if I ask what model brakes you are getting? ST40? and nWhere you got them?
Also if you don't mind, would you share details of your camera set up? I also have the Tackform headrest mount that I used with my iPhone but got really bad shake. Not sure if it was the camera quality or the buffeting from the rear two windows open on track. Do you use image stabilization on your GoPro?
If you prefer you can answer on PM or not at all! :) Just thought I would ask. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, I’m not getting thread notifications for some reason. I currently have a Stoptech ST40 kit on order, should be about another week or two before I get it. I bought from LM Performance, which was 10% cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
As far as my camera, it’s a GoPro 5 mounted to Tackform headrest mount. I don’t recall enabling image stabilization, but I’ll have to double check my settings. iPhone is notorious for recording shaky video, and there’s several threads dedicated to it on the Harry’s LapTimer forums. Hope that helps!

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Ronnie, How do you like the nt01's? I've been eyeing those as well. Been happy with the rs4's I've been using but I think I want a little more grip without sacrificing too much longevity

Hey Jay, sorry for late reply. I gave the NT01s a try last year because I got a set on clearance from Discount Tire. I didn’t really have high expectations for them, but they’ve turned out to be an amazing tire for me. Their high level of grip, predictability at the limit, consistency even when worn, quickness to get up to temp, and long life all combine to make the tire I’ll be running from now on. In my opinion, they are the RS4 of the R-comp category. Granted, I would not run these routinely on the street due to being noisy and obviously not the best in standing water when they’re worn below the wear bars.