GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough Cold Start/stalling on Inclines only:Blinking CEL

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Having an odd issue where if i start my car when cold and sometimes even warm on a slightly slanted driveways my car gets a flashing CEL which then vanishes after a few blinks. This is accompanied with very low rpms and near engine stalling. Ive had no issues with cold starts on level ground. With a small tap of the gas the rpms level out and the car seems to run fine. Cold start has a few minor misfires which can be heard through the exhaust cause downpipe)

*I have R8 coil packs and NGK plugs changed 200 miles ago (problem was there before changing plugs)

2011, 41k miles well maintained. (fuel filter also just changed for 40k service, problem also there before changing filter)

Checked intake connections, maf, seating of coils and done pcv test (which is fine)

Expressway driven hard so carbon is doubtful, Anyone know why i would be having this issue which seems to only be on a decline/incline?

(not storing any codes or anything evident when checked via vagcom)

Update: 5/28/15

Issues:
*Vehicle will stall and or sputter on warm starts where temparture needle is at 9:30-10:30 o clock position. Vehicle will stall if throttle is not applied immeditally, at which point car idles fine.
*Vehicle will stall out after filling with gasoline (93) unless throttle is applied to save from stalling out.
*Vehicle will flash Check Engine Light occasionally in warm weather during "cold" starts. Check engine light will either stay lit or will dissapear.
*Vehicle has occasional misfires during "cold" starts
*Cylinder 4 shows misfires via Vagcom. Plugs and coils switched around twice, misfires are still showing on cylinder 4.
*Vehicle has minor misfires in first 100 feet of driving after a cold start that can be felt on light throttle, after which vehicle feels fine.

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
You didn't mention if you checked the tire pressure, doe. :laugh:

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Have you tweaked the brake or hill hold settings?
You said the rpm levels out when you press the gas. i think it might be the dsg clutch pack engaging/disengaging
Just a shot in the dark :iono:
DSG flush?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25039

Jaber

Modero
Have you tweaked the brake or hill hold settings?
You said the rpm levels out when you press the gas. i think it might be the dsg clutch pack engaging/disengaging
Just a shot in the dark :iono:
DSG flush?

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25039

He mentioned rough cold starts, car is in park and with e-brake at that point. This would more than likely rule out DSG. Unless they're two separate issues.

Jaber

Modero
Also, if this issue is on inclines, have you tried putting your car on jack stands (front only) and starting it?

Also, maybe borrow VAGCOM and on start ups you know it's doing it, log Round 1 & 4 specifically, for fuel (or all). Since with elevation, only thing that flows from rear to front.

http://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php