GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 intercooler vs. Stock

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I am going k04 with the APR sale going on and am just trying to finalize my decision on an intercooler. The AWE TOP and hose kit with the s3 intercooler core off ECS seems like the cheapest option for an upgrade (other than godspeed which is yet to be tested). While I think the APR intercooler is the best, I'm not ready to drop a grand on an intercooler at this point when I'm going to buy the k04 kit and a DP. At any rate, with eurojet supposedly being better than the s3 intercooler, I haven't seen any proof of it, plus the issue with not being sure if they are even open and running, that is kind of off the list. BSH would be an option, but they clearly have a mk5 option but nothing for the mk6, even though the cars are similar. I came across some data on mk5 that I thought was worth sharing comparing the s3 vs. stock. Here it is for your knowledge. Just thought i'd share:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156690&page=4&highlight=bsh

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Seeing as you live in Florida I'd go with the APR. S4 is just ok with the K04 if you lived up North.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
moving up north in June, so it will be a little more manageable. I agree it's the best solution, but don't know if I want to spend the extra $400 bucks, when I can get a DP for that

VagPuncher

Ready to race!
i think depending on what your plan is with the car is where you make the decision on intercooler...if you plan on tracking the car i wouldn't go s3 as i hear there is some heatsoak issues on the k04..this is something i think you should do it right the first time..

allset

Go Kart Champion
I am going k04 with the APR sale going on and am just trying to finalize my decision on an intercooler. The AWE TOP and hose kit with the s3 intercooler core off ECS seems like the cheapest option for an upgrade (other than godspeed which is yet to be tested). While I think the APR intercooler is the best, I'm not ready to drop a grand on an intercooler at this point when I'm going to buy the k04 kit and a DP. At any rate, with eurojet supposedly being better than the s3 intercooler, I haven't seen any proof of it, plus the issue with not being sure if they are even open and running, that is kind of off the list. BSH would be an option, but they clearly have a mk5 option but nothing for the mk6, even though the cars are similar. I came across some data on mk5 that I thought was worth sharing comparing the s3 vs. stock. Here it is for your knowledge. Just thought i'd share:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156690&page=4&highlight=bsh

im in the same situation. Going K04 in the spring, just installed APR's Intercooler. If ur in Florida, i would go with APR i cant even imagine the heatsoak down there in the summer. the S3 is used in 265 HP engines.... K04 is pushing 366hp peak.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
^^ Dredman is exactly right. The S3 IC is stock on the Audi S3, which runs it and the K04. Tune it for more power and again, you have the car's power output outstripping it's cooling.

This is something I learned after going stg 1. The car stock is set up to work with each other within certain parameters. You can't increase one part without upsetting the balance. Bump in power mandates a bump in cooling capacity. Both of which call for better tires to handle the extra power and to shorten braking distances. A beefier clutch is called for to handle the torque, etc... Which is why modding one thing leads to other things.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'm fine with stage 1 on the track and the stock FMIC. I've talked to a local tuner who also believes the same for the K04 and S3 IC.

If you are a street racing demon, and plan on doing multiple runs in hot weather (in traffic or whatever), then by all means, you might as well go bigger. If i go K04, I may go against the grain and just go S3 IC, as I've tracked in 95 degree weather and high humidity, with no overheating issues whatsoever with the stock FMIC.

killfish

Ready to race!
^^ S3 works fine in Canada. I plan on adding a W/M kit in the spring - that way I can keep things cool and run the 100 oct map.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^I am still up in the air about this. The AWE kit uses the S3 kit and I haven't really heard anyone complain about running the k04 with the S3. Being able to get the S3 intercooler with new AWE s3 hoses, and the AWE TOP for $568.87 is a pretty good deal

gh172

Ready to race!
Do you need the AWE TOP if you go with the APR Intercooler ?

killfish

Ready to race!
Probably as worth while as your APR intercooler.